Ed Thomas Inspired Tardis Interior Scale Model

Started by jayjaycee96, Jul 20, 2017, 04:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jayjaycee96

Jul 20, 2017, 04:34 pm Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 04:21 pm by jayjaycee96
Hi!

I am a new member to the Tardis Builders forum. This is my first post so I'm not entirely sure if I have done this post right or not? No matter though, this summer, I proposed the construction of an re-imagined, Ed Thomas-Inspired Tardis interior to scale with the 5.5" Doctor Who figures.

My inspiration to construct the model follows a visit from the Doctor Who Experience in April. The Ed Thomas interior is a personal favorite of mine. Although, it became quite a shock to me to observe the damage sustained possibly in transit of the 9th/10th Tardis interior set on tour after its move from Upper Boat studios and then being taken on tour for the Doctor Who Experience for it to finally be rebuilt in the Cardiff experience. I think it's a shame that such a masterpiece of design could somehow be cobbled back together and have vacuum-formed walls missing (or even auctioned off) and for the flying buttresses be cut in half.

Nevertheless, the visit to the experience was more than enough to invigorate my inner child and pursue a build of my own on a very tight budget. The scaled down re-imagining of Ed Thomas' design is for my younger brother who produces animated Doctor Who episodes on YouTube.

I have not yet seen on this forum before a post in context with a construction for a model Ed Thomas interior.  I am aware of many customized 9th /10th Doctor Tardis Playsets in the past in which people have opted to add additional paper walls to cover the flying buttresses or have added cabling. Someone may correct me if I am wrong? In which case, I would love someone to send me a link to any photographs of other peoples Ed Thomas-styled interior models!

The design proposal consists of  two floors;  a platform in which the console was accessible and a lower deck to gain access to the heart of the Tardis. I also proposed an upper tier that would run the perimeter of the walls and follow through the flying buttresses. However, as you will see in later construction photographs, this was not possible to produce.

I shall start by uploading a couple of finished photographs with lighting of the model and then go about uploading photographs of the construction process with descriptions .

Enjoy.  :)IMG_3139.JPGIMG_3140.JPGIMG_3116.JPGNo message is associated with this attachment.

jayjaycee96

Not quite sure what happened to that last photo and why it's on it's side? Here it is again: Note that the wall facades can be detached from the model to allow access and also see the console from multiple viewpoints; this comes in handy for my brothers DWFA's.

This build measures in at 891mm width x 840mm height which means that it will become a permanent feature in the house as it cannot be removed from the room in which it was built in as it doesn't fit through the door! This model is much larger than the 9th / 10th Doctors Tardis Playset!

Without Walls.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Interesting, a glass floor like the 11th Doctor's first console room, and I see you've continued the coral buttresses above to replace that draped-fabric-thing, and underneath to an area like the current console.
I like that a lot, and it really give the room a sense of scale that the original design didn't quite have.
If I may have one minor critique? I'm personally not a fan of the target-sight style roundel replacements, the style doesn't fit and at that size they leave your walls looking a little empty. Apart from that, everything from the construction, scale and lighting is fantastic! that first photo could almost be a studio set shot!

Oh, and welcome! You've certainly made a good first impression!  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

jayjaycee96

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Jul 20, 2017, 05:01 pm

Thanks Angelus for that comment! Yes, the draped fabric I presume was a design inspiration from the sea hence the coral deskptop that runs throughout Ed Thomas' design, almost looked like a giant pink jellyfish. The roundel/hexels are a combination of both and to be honest was a last minute design solution to a problem that I had with attaching them to the walls which are now made of parchment paper. It didn't come to me as a suprise that nothing, not even super glue, will stick to grease-proof materials. Therefore, the roundel/hexels are now attached to the framework of the model.

Greenlord

This is absolutely gorgeous, I have a few drawings that resemble this slightly, but to see a full spherical coral themed console room with a glass floor is fantastic, legit my ideal TARDIS.

Really good model as well, must have taken a lot of time and effort - to build a full scale version would be amazing. Just wondering if it's finished or your going to keep working? Can't wait for the in progress pics  :D

I would also agree on the roundels, they look good but something bigger that lights up could look great too?
Also, perhaps another floor, glass or otherwise between the console floor and the bottom of the cosole room. Steps leading up/down/across from the glass floor and/or corridors/doorways leading to other rooms would be magnificent.

Last but not least, a pair of police box doors would be a great finishing touch.

I dunno if I can tell, but this room fills me with enthusiasm, really love it :D

jayjaycee96

Jul 20, 2017, 05:40 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017, 05:42 pm by jayjaycee96
Stage 1 of the models construction consisted of making the switches, levers and buttons. I was going for a maritime look by including lots of brass, copper and various tarnished metallic components derived from radios, projectors, car parts and washing machines. I collected hundreds of pieces and assembled them together to create intricate pieces that I would later attach to the console. I wanted the components to not be easily recognized or discernible as that would spoil the illusion of scale to the model say.... if one of the switches looked like a screw or a bolt. Therefore the selection process of the parts used was entirely based upon their oddities, if you know what I mean.  ???

IMG_2870.JPGIMG_2871.JPG

jayjaycee96

Thanks Greenlord for your comment. Glad to hear the enthusiasm for it!  :) Yes, well those roundel / hexels were a bit of a last resort really. There were some time constraints with the construction of the model. But the idea of illuminating them does sound very intriguing. A stairway for access is still a work in progress. The issues that I have come across with the coral effect, that I was able to achieve, was attaching the platforms to it. The uneven surface made it almost impossible to superglue the platforms into place as there wasn't enough contact area for the glue to set. Inevitably, I had to put in some brackets underneath. I do have the platforms for the upper and lower tiers at hand but were not installed because of this problem that I faced. The tardis doors would make a great addition but are currently out of frame and in theatre terms are part of the "third wall." haha

jayjaycee96

Stage 2 of the project: Framework Lasercutting. The framework of the model is mostly 3mm and 6mm MDF that has been lasercut. There are 5 buttress sections and 10 rib and console sections that were lasercut along with the 2mm acrylic floor plates and x270 card roundel (not all of which were used in the end!

The framework was a giant jigsaw puzzle that was superglued together. There were over 200 indiviudal MDF pieces to glue together to make the framework. 

IMG_2901.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2901.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2907.JPG

jayjaycee96

These are a combination of both roundel (round in shape) with hexel (first seen on the Ed Thomas Interior). There are over 270 of these that were lasercut and only 80 were used in the end due to alterations in the design. The roundel/hexels did not adhere to the greaseproof parchment paper walls so were then glued to the cross members of the framework. Thereby, fewer roundel/hexels would fit on the framework. I have no intentions of redesigning this now until I can figure a more sensible way of attaching them to the walls.

Attached below is a failed attempt of attaching the roundels to paper that was spray painted. This idea was quickly abandoned.

IMG_2912.JPGIMG_2971.JPGIMG_3053.JPG

Angelus Lupus

Seeing the roundel/hexels in more detail, I can see what you were going for. It's a real shame your original idea didn't pan out.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

jayjaycee96

Stage 3:

Corrugated cardboard was lined perpendicular to the surface of the MDF buttresses and rib and console sections to create a framework. Then these were papermache over by wrapping newspaper dipped in watered down PVA. The original idea was to wrap them in clingfilm so that the internal parts of the structure could be lit using LED's; an idea that was applied intially in series 1 of the Ed Thomas console. Once dry, they were painted white to cover over the print on the newspaper. Then a sand coloured spray paint was applied and allowed to dry followed by coating the structures in a sand/pva compound. Detailing of the structures was applied using acrylic paints.

IMG_2917.JPGIMG_2918.JPGIMG_2981.JPGIMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPGIMG_2996.JPG

BioDoctor900

I'm absolutely loving this, it's very much a combination of the 9th/10th console and the original 11th Doctor's console. I love the lower level, and reminds me of the artwork that was drawn, it's on Google images. I like the fact that you've gone for less recognisable parts, it was certainly something I tried to do when I made my custom model

BioDoctor900

KIT-KAT

No, not the mind probe!

jayjaycee96

Stage 4: Assembly of structure

The papermache of all of these structural elements took ages to do. There were a lot of tight corners and bends to wrap the newspaper around which made it quite a challenge to do. The buttresses and framework were attached together using x2 hexagon shaped MDF pieces with slots cut into them.

IMG_3003.JPGIMG_3005.JPGIMG_3006.JPG

jayjaycee96

Stage 5: Floor Plates:

Half the model could be assembled for it to fit through the door. The second half would need to be assembled inside the room where it will remain as a permanent feature as far as I know???? The floor plates could then be attached. This was almost impossible to do after I applied the coral effect to the framework. There was not much contact area between the acrylic floor plates adhering to the framework. I ended up finding some brackets that I could glue underneath to support the floor plates. I later found that I couldn't attach the upper and lower tier floor plates, also made of acrylic, because of the same problem.

IMG_3008.JPGIMG_3010.JPGIMG_3023.JPGIMG_3024.JPGIMG_3026.JPGIMG_3027.JPG