May 13, 2024, 11:06 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

GEMINITIMELORD's TARDIS

Started by geminitimelord, Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Nov 20, 2009, 04:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 07:48 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: geminitimelord board=memberbuilds1 thread=90 post=3436 time=1258673551

Wow good eye Jon, that is exactly what they are. A bit brittle to cut but I like the look. Next best thing to the textured glass.

Priming and painting as soon as I get the Filler, Sand and all these little tweaks done.

When I visited the Earls Court exhibition last year, the NST they had there had the same stuff in it's windows. So that makes your windows completely accurate, in my book!

geminitimelord

Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am #1 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 02:54 pm by Scarfwearer
Well this weekend I finally made some SERIOUS momentum in getting my build completed. Over the last few weeks I pretty much worked on the Base. I decided to do a small variation from the Plans and how I saw all the other bases built. I used 2x3 lumber to form a 48" square and then capped it with a sheet of 1/2" plywood. I thought this construction would provide more stability directly under the corner posts. I wrapped the 48" square with 2x4 that was ripped on the table saw with a 25 degree angle. Need a little wood filler for some gaps but Pretty pleased with the result. Probably took a total of 8 hours for just the base.
th_020.jpg
th_006.jpg

(Yes I know my legs are very white!)

I also got my Corner Posts completed. I did the standard construction that I believe everyone else did using a 1x6, two 1x4 and a 1x3. I also used the 1/4 round trim to fill in the gaps.
I must say when you get that first corner post built it is a very beautiful thing! I had to just stare! I glued my wood and I also made liberal use of a Pneumatic Brad Nailer Gun. Made it go very fast  Construction of each corner post took 45 min each using that method.
th_009.jpg

I attached a few posts to see how big she will be. I guess I will have issues with the Garage height when the Roof needs to be fitted.
th_031.jpg
Last weekend I bought a New Fresnel lens, I wanted one closer to the actual size. I took some board and cut my square. Routed the hole for the Light and I am ready to add the posts.
th_015.jpg
th_014.jpg

I hope I can get the walls completed by Next weekend.

geminitimelord

Nov 19, 2009, 03:27 am #2 Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010, 12:05 am by Scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Nov 18, 2009, 07:17 pmOK Scott, here's the deal.  If you can get this done before the end of th month (or before Chicago TARDIS next weekend), I will make the 90 minute drive up to Moline, and we can reenact the opening of An Unearthly Child.  How's that for incentive?
Bill Rudloff

Wow, I forgot all about Chicago TARDIS. Are you going this year?

I really would like to get this box done ASAP! I wish I would have been in the groove 6 months ago rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for my unemployed self. Now I am working so time isnt a luxury.

However you are more than welcome to make a visit :)

Doctor Iz

Aug 04, 2008, 03:38 am #3 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:30 pm by scarfwearer
Scott,

Incredible work mate! :o  Your base construction is excellent.  A good foundation to start from.  You have gotten a lot of work done if you got the corner posts and the base completed.  Stellar!  It's starting to look like something familar... that is what kept me moving during the initial phases... Don't stop or take a break, you don't want to lose your momentum.  Keep up the great work!  We will look forward to seeing your build come together.

Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

atomicgraph

Aug 04, 2008, 10:59 am #4 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:31 pm by scarfwearer
hey great start, love the posts. i'm sure me and everyone here is looking forward to your set of photos. good luck its looking great

geminitimelord

Aug 04, 2008, 12:53 pm #5 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:31 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Jon, Chris, Atomic and Avadh!  I appreciate the encouragement and the positive comments. I must admit the more time I spent reviewing the endless threads in this forum and observing everyone else's success and documentation the more passion I had to get my build worked on.

A few technical questions to throw at the group.

To attach my corner posts I used an corner brace similar to what Uncle Lew did on You Tube, I think he is Moonpie on here. What I discovered was the posts were prone to tip inward. I did see that Jon (DrIZ) had some screws or dowells drilled into the posts. Any thoughts on how I should proceed to give my posts a solid fit to the base? Remember I have some good 2x3 wood right under the post that I can tap into. I am thinking of placing two metal dowels glued into the post and then just letting them rest into the base, would this prevent the slippage.

Ok second question. To mount the corner posts how do I make sure they are square so when the walls go up they match. I guess I am looking for any techniques anyone used.

And finally. WHen I get the walls up here is my plan, just looking for anyone to poke a hole in it or tell me it worked great. I will put a sheet of ply cut so about 1/2 inch fits past the edge of the corner post. I will then insert a piece of ply attached to the corner post to go from the 1/2 inch lip to the corner. I am thinking 3 of these up the right and 3 up the left. I will then attach a window latch assembly that will lock my wood to the posts with a tight fit. This way I can assemble and disassemble the walls if needed and the window latch assembly should render a very tight fit. Sound good? Any other suggestions? I dont really plan on moving the box but then again you never know so I am thinking advanced prep here would be prudent.

Again thanks for all the support and thanks in advance for any advice as I have never worked with wood before so this has been a learning experience for me.

karsthotep

Aug 05, 2008, 03:08 pm #6 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:31 pm by scarfwearer
Awesome work there Scott, that Base looks solid and the post look spot on,  Which plans are you going for NST?  Or classic old school S18?

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

atomicgraph

Aug 05, 2008, 11:37 pm #7 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:32 pm by scarfwearer
i didn't use any thing to attach my posts to the base i just let gravity do its job, however i wouldn't recommend doing that. the base on my build was the last thing i made so lining up everything was to much of a hassle for me ::). if i were doing it now i would use a dowel or something to attach them, and get the posts set. also this would help getting all your wall measurements right and equal. good luck

emil   

geminitimelord

Aug 06, 2008, 02:12 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 11:58 pm by Scarfwearer
****UPDATE****

Well tonight I had some time to complete my lamp assembly.

th_002.jpg
And here she is with the Blue Light installed
th_001.jpg

This weekend I hope to have the Posts Mounted and the Walls complete. If I am lucky I will even have the doors done!

avadh

Aug 06, 2008, 11:19 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:32 pm by scarfwearer
Great work on the tardis lamp scott. Looking very tardisy.

Doctor Iz

Aug 06, 2008, 03:07 am #10 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:33 pm by scarfwearer
Scott,

Nice work on the light.  What are you using for a light source and where could I pick one up... That is one bright light too.  Very nice.  I hope to see more of your build come to life.  You're making great progress.  Keep it up Scotty, JT Kirk....LOL... I couldn't resist.

Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

geminitimelord

Aug 06, 2008, 12:25 pm #11 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:33 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Avadh!

Jon, I knew I was going to take crap as soon as I posted that damn pic! LOL What I like about it is I even look very melodramatic in it kinda like Kirk huh.

The light was easy, I bought it at Menards. If you go to my youtube posts you can see the package it came in, I cannor remember the name. I think it was something like party bulb. Anyhow it is a New Style Curly energy efficient type and they had different colours.

chriskingbees

Aug 06, 2008, 03:58 pm #12 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:33 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Scott
The Scotty stuff is inevitable son, you've probably had it all your life. My given name is Chris D Ore so you can imagine all the stuff I've had. Apple core, Corey, even Orey-Borey-Arlis (As in the northern lights LOL).. Did you know Jon is a fully-fledged doctor, maybe we should call him Bones Ha ha.
Anyway Tardis
Yes it's true, the tardis always has had a white light, but due to studio lighting and the fact that the roof is blue, it does very often appear blue. However!!! I, a;ong with ol' Bones, think that your lamp looks really cool, brilliant even, and you should definitely keep it. With regard to the paint colour, my tardis spent it's first (Almost) 2 years as Dulux Windsor blue, straight from the shelf. Now I've over painted with the darkest, darkest blue ever, which was given to me by member Anotherwheeze. He had it mixed for him, but decided it was too dark for his tardis, and he's right, not to say extremely generous also. My box is a Metropolitan police box style, as in the 1960s Dalek movies, and it's perfect for that.
Keep the updates coming, you're going great!
KB

atomicgraph

Aug 06, 2008, 02:06 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
i like the blue light;D most police cars have a blue light shouldn't a police box ;D;D

rizla

Aug 09, 2008, 05:09 pm #14 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010, 09:34 pm by scarfwearer
I think your craftsmanship is ace. Keep up the good work. Liking the blue light. Something I have not got round to finishing yet!