Started by fivefingeredstyre, Dec 11, 2011, 02:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Quite frosty this morning  :)

D5560F04-AA62-4AAB-9183-FDDC9D1C925B_zpspe9petoe.jpg

47CE9AB5-0A66-435F-8DBF-EED95B923C27_zpsxddkvkhy.jpg

russellsuthern

Looking as beautiful as ever.
You'll probably have some "snowy" pics to put up before long if this cold snap keeps up...

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Forgive me, but I bloody well hope not... :D

russellsuthern

Yeah, me too, actually.
I can't get into my classes, & even if I do make the effort in, no one else can get in so I'm all on my own!
So for me: snow = no money!

Fortunately the snow usually misses us down on the coast...
(Touches some wood, quickly...)

Russ

galacticprobe

Jan 20, 2016, 09:58 pm #64 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2016, 09:58 pm by galacticprobe
Frosty morning or not, she still looks beautiful, Steve! And that lighting in the photos is perfect!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

You really did nail the Met box dimensions.  Just killing some time and going through some old build threads and I do so love this one.  Because mine is so obviously a 1963 Barachacki while this should have Ian and Barbara mugging in front of it in mock horror in 1966 London after finally getting home. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Aww... Thanks mate  :)

Needs a bit of a spruce up at the moment though... I can't seem to find the time at the moment... :-[

Volpone

We reach, we reach.  I didn't have the time for my current refit--that should have happened this time last year--but it was rotting so badly that I was forced to make the time.  I thought the rot was limited to the plywood but it attacked several of the 1x's--and even ate away about 3" of the end of the 2x4 base in the front corner by the phone panel. 

I had a roll of 8" wide adhesive rubber flashing that I'd stuck to the wall on that side, above the POLICE BOX signs to try and combat the water.  When I did my renovation 2 years ago, I learned that the bulges in it were full of water that had been trapped between the flashing and the plywood.  I suspect this worked down along the corner post.  Also I think I had water pooling on the base.  I didn't have a bevel to the base for the first 4-5 years or so.  And even when I put one on, it looks like the water would run down the outside, hit the bevel and instead of staying outside it would go into the structure. 

I was also looking at Chris' dearly departed (and excellent) build and thinking "there but for the grace of God go I." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

I know what you mean... The thought of one day having to tear it down terrifies me...

Fortunately, mine seems solid enough. I cannot recommend a couple of coats of rubberised paint along the major joins enough, this seems to hold back a lot of the rot (famous last words...)My work this year is mainly along the lines of painting tart up due to the ravages of winter.

The most major refit i've had to do was last year when I has to rip out the old floor and replace it. When I built it I never allowed enough support or allowed for ventilation. Consequently the condensation build up caused the floor to go weak and the lack of support made it start to give way...

it was an easy enough job to replace though and I made sure I added floor vents this time (although i must get round to painting the floor when I'm on my annual TARDIS touch up duties over the next few months...)

galacticprobe

Jun 12, 2016, 07:17 am #69 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 07:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Jun 11, 2016, 05:10 pm
I know what you mean... The thought of one day having to tear it down terrifies me...

Good grief, don't think like that, please!? Seeing what happened to KB's beautiful box was heartbreaking enough. Just keep an eye on yours (anyone with an outdoor TARDIS/Police Box please keep an eye on yours) so you can catch any "cancers" and repair them before things get that far. With all the hard work that goes into building one of these marvels it's worth taking a few minutes every month or so to give them a once-over, just to be safe.

I would hate to see someone else lose their Old Girl.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

Would an all over cover with fibre glass be a long term solution it could give you a bit more of a concrete type effect, probably a big job to do in the first place but once done you can forget about it.

fivefingeredstyre

Fear not, hopefully we are a long way off retiring my box. The sides and frame still appear to be solid enough so hopefully she has a lot of years left in her  :)

I've said this before, but when the time does come for her to be dismantled, I'll be turning the best side into fibreglass moulds and the next one will be totally fibreglass on a wooden frame work...

Volpone

Dammit.  The randomizer photo thing showed the thumbnail of your box with the windows open.  All I had left for my box to be "perfect" was a phone, clear upper window panes, and tucking a flexible plastic Fresnel magnifier into my lamp housing.  Now I need opening windows.  And the drip sill.   :)
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Aug 16, 2016, 07:28 am #73 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2016, 07:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: volpone on Aug 16, 2016, 04:19 am
Now I need opening windows.  And the drip sill.   :)

And weatherproofing/weatherstripping for those opening windows. ;)

I guess this is what happens when you start playing 'Keeping Up With The Met Boxes'! ;D ;D ;D

Dino.

fivefingeredstyre

Dec 18, 2016, 05:51 pm #74 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2016, 05:54 pm by fivefingeredstyre
Tried to take some misty, moody, shots of the TARDIS in the fog this morning, but they didn't come out as well as I hoped...

IMG_6552_zpsn5upfk45.jpg

fgtredbhj_zpsjssi8eqv.jpg

jlnphiuhoi_zpsmwdzeop0.jpg

It looked a lot more "misty" in real life...  :-[