Mar 29, 2024, 04:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS int/ext on 'Rogue Traders'

Started by mantamatt, Oct 03, 2006, 07:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mantamatt

Oct 03, 2006, 07:43 am Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:30 pm by Scarfwearer
Did anyone see Rogue Traders last night on BBC1? The beginning of the show was situated in what looked like the 'late Tom Baker/ early Peter Davison' console room (surely not??!) and then the presenters drove their motorbike out of a Yardley Jones prop (which looked like it had been repainted again and dirtied down)

A moment of high excitement in a show largely about dodgy plumbers./ Not quite sure why some of the action took place in the TARDIS though, I missed the start of the show.

davidnagel

Jan 02, 2008, 11:33 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 10:00 am by scarfwearer
I remember this sequence and I swear the console is, or at least looks like, the Ultimate Adventure console... though I could be mistaken. There is an image of something I think the Rogue Traders one looks like but I need to find it... it was part of an exhibit...

Regards
David

purpleblancmange

Oct 03, 2006, 08:40 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Darn it!  And I was going to watch that as well, typical.  I wonder what they'd used then for this set, hopefully there'll be some pictures available at some point - you never know, Doctor Who Magazine might mention this.

Crispin, have you been loaning out your console room again... what have I told you about that!!!!  ;)

Rassilons Rod

Oct 03, 2006, 08:58 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:28 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah, I saw that... Missed the beginning too... I wandered back in when I heard the Grainer Rhumba coming from my TV... Weird mist effect over the picture. It certainly did look like that console, but the walls didn't look that authentic to my eyes... Perhaps it was the mist effect.

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

mantamatt

Oct 03, 2006, 09:09 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:29 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah, I agree about the walls not looking original. Also the console room was dark and misty as you say and lit with reds and greens in what I suppose the program makers thought was a similar fashion to the new series one. I suppose with the modern set in Cardiff it was easier to use the bits and pieces that remain in London. It was nice to see that the Davison console still survives, I had assumed it was long gone.

purpleblancmange

Oct 03, 2006, 10:02 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:29 pm by scarfwearer
None of the original sets survive at the BBC or anywhere else, so it has to be a replica and as I recall, the early Davison console doesn't exist anymore either - though what's left of the central column is in the hands of a collector.

As I haven't seen this programme, I can't really comment, but my guess is that the whole lot has to be a replica from somewhere... there is an extreme outside possibility that the upper control panels are still about, but that would be it, the rest of the main housing of that console - along with the plinth - were all broken up prior to The Two Doctors being made.

What an intrigue.

purpleblancmange

Oct 03, 2006, 11:28 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:29 pm by scarfwearer
Further to my last post, I've just remembered something else - but I'm not too clear on the matter.

After the show stopped being made in 1989, JNT still had an office at the BBC and tucked away in there he did have a couple of console panels... now I can't remember which ones they were.  There are three possibilities;

1/  They were what remained of the early Davison console.
2/  They were parts of the Five Doctors Rehearsal console.
3/  They were parts of the Five Doctors studio console.

Option 3 is unlikely as this console was stored at Visual Effects until at least 1994.

Option 2 is more likely, though even that was stored in Visual Effects, but I remember seeing it in different buildings on my "visits" to the corporation.

Option 1 is possible, JNT hoarded quite a lot of things from the show as after his death, all kinds of things from his house were auctioned off or given away - these included items such as:

The 4th Doctor's scarf
The Master's Tissue Compression Eliminator
A roundel from the set
The figurines of the Doctors and his companions from The 5 Doctors
The Key to Time

...and a shed load of other stuff.

Now that I think about this, I really am starting to hope that these were the original upper panels from the early Davison console, that would be brilliant.

dalethetimelord

Oct 03, 2006, 04:58 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:29 pm by scarfwearer
I saw the show last night (one of those odd momnets when you don't know WHY the TV's on, but it needs to be on...), and I'm fairly sure it wasn't anything real, the walls were simply two rows of roundels, and the console appeared to be smoking out the the top of the centre column!  The Police Box was the old prop I like to refer to as "my" old girl (ie the one I helped to fix) was the one used to ride the bike out of...

Trying to find a copy of the sequence to start verifying details though, as I was to busy being overly impressed to take much in!

Scarfwearer

Oct 03, 2006, 07:18 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:29 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: purpleblancmange board=newbury thread=1159861415 post=1159864849Crispin, have you been loaning out your console room again... what have I told you about that!!!!  ;)

Nothing to do with me, guv, honest!
My console room is still flat packed, and the console hasn't budged from the workshop...

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: mantamatt on Oct 03, 2006, 07:43 am
Did anyone see Rogue Traders last night on BBC1? The beginning of the show was situated in what looked like the 'late Tom Baker/ early Peter Davison' console room (surely not??!) and then the presenters drove their motorbike out of a Yardley Jones prop (which looked like it had been repainted again and dirtied down)

A moment of high excitement in a show largely about dodgy plumbers./ Not quite sure why some of the action took place in the TARDIS though, I missed the start of the show.

Mon 2 Oct 2006 20:30
BBC One Wales & Scotland only

Plumbers
Rogue Traders
Series 5
Episode 5 of 8

Matt Allwright and Dan Penteado go undercover in search of service providers who try to rip off their clients. They flush out rogue plumbers, including timewasters who string out jobs for so long that customers end up paying double. Another steals his boss's identity so he can work on a gas boiler, plus what happened when Matt's alter-ego Joe caught a thieving heating engineer red-handed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007chnt

Sounds like this is the episode but I can't find a video online.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.