Mar 28, 2024, 07:32 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 Half Scale TARDIS Cat Fort

Started by astromark, Aug 08, 2011, 08:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

astromark

Aug 08, 2011, 08:50 am Last Edit: Aug 19, 2012, 12:31 am by Scarfwearer
Hello all. Some may have seen my 1/6 scale model build I did for brother as a gift last Christmas. Well, my kitten loves boxes so naturally, she loved the TARDIS. My wife figured what better box to build for her than the TARDIS?

I decided I would build a 1/2 scale version with lots of fun stuff inside. So far, I only have the exterior finished but will post more updates as they come. My cat's name is Kaylee so I decided I would make the lock look similar to the traditional Yale lock but use her name instead. I think it turned out pretty well. I have been working on this for about two weeks now so hopefully I will finish sometime this week.

I hope you enjoy the pics. I have included one from my model build that inspired this project.The colors look a little off in the pictures because of the lighting in the basement. This looks much closer to the proper blue than the pictures show.

KTP16.jpg
KTPBack1.jpg
KTPBegin1.jpg
KTPLock1.jpg
KTPPaint1.jpg
KTPPrime1.jpg
KTPLockFinished1.jpg
KTPDoors1.jpg
KTPFinalCoat1.jpg
KTPSize1.jpg

rasskin

well, apart from confirming my opinion that most cat owners are nuts it's looking really good!

:)

I like the lock in particular, is it vac formed?

willfleming

HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

DoctorWho8

Now you are half-way to a full sized box.  Ha ha!  I want to be that cat.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

philipw

astromark

So I finished Kaylee's TARDIS Playhouse last night. My wife and I brought it up from the basement with almost no issues. We had Kaylee hidden away in the back room so we could put it in place. She was very concerned when she first saw it but quickly realized it was a really big box to play around in and on. I had to piece the carpet interior because the remnant we bought wasn't actually enough to it proper but I figure she will pretty much destroy the interior anyway. Oh, and the lock is just three pieces of .040 styrene that we scored on one of our vinyl cutting plotters . I glued the pieces together and used putty to get the edges smooth. Enjoy the pics.KTPChill1.jpgKTPCrawl1.jpgKTPInPlace1.jpgKTPInsideFinished1.jpgKTPKaylee1.jpgKTPOnTop1.jpg

philipw

Scarfwearer

I particularly like the interior! Or rather I think my cats would. Purrlice Purrblic Cat Box. :)

Crispin

cathlyn847

One very cool kitty. Looks great.  ;D
What would the Doctor do?

type55tardis

From one cat lover to another (weve got 6)   Brilliant !!!! :)
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

kert gantry

Love it. A stately home for a classy feline.

I've long suspected that cats have special powers when it comes to warping time and space.  Recently I was going through some cardboard boxes in my junk room. They were stacked one on top of the other, three boxes high. I removed them one by one - and found my cat snoozing happily in the bottom-most box (whistles theme from Twilight Zone)!

j3jewell

This is amazing!!!  Do you make a "blue print" when you were building it?  I would absolutely LOVE to make one for my cats but have no ability to build anything with out plans.

astromark

Thanks for the compliment. Kaylee loves it! I just used Doctor Bill Rudolph's plans and sized them to 1/2 scale. All of the interior was basically just done by placing things where they seemed to fit.

DoctorWho8

Psst, there's no reindeer here. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

astromark

Sep 17, 2011, 05:04 pm #14 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 pm by astromark
I'm sorry about that, Bill. I meant no disrespect to you or any reindeer. :)

To make it easier on the Administrators here, my wife has set up a site to contact me directly. It is www.tardiscatfort.com