Apr 16, 2024, 04:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

60s TARDIS Interior

Started by kert gantry, Aug 04, 2011, 04:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kert gantry

Aug 04, 2011, 04:26 pm Last Edit: Aug 18, 2012, 11:06 pm by Scarfwearer
This promises to be a lengthy one.  The idea is to have a detailed TARDIS interior, to scale with the Character Options figures, for a photonovel re-imagining of Hartnell Season One.  I plan to stay pretty faithful to the original control room design (my favourite), but go off on a riff a little with other rooms such as the sleeping quarters, making them look more consistent with the console area than the utilitarian versions seen in Edge of Destruction etc.  There'll be more roundels in my ship!

Getting started

WHcons1.JPG

By no means a maths genius, I preferred to begin by working from stills to establish the main proportions.  Here, Plastic Billy poses Brink of Disaster-style against the card hexagon that was the basis for my console's measurements.

WHcons2.JPG

Main hexagon cut from sheet styrene.  Right-angled styrene strip cut to form the six edges, glued over a hexagonal upper to keep them straight.  Although not strictly necessary for the project, I'd like to fit a working mechanism for the time column, so have cut a central hole for that.

kert gantry

Plinth

WHcons3.JPG

Six rectangles taped together and fitted into a base to form the basic plinth.  Looks puny without those chunky buttresses that the original console had.  I like the glimpses of circuitry in the plinth that you sometimes get in the 60s episodes, so cut holes for maintenance hatches in three alternate walls

Buttresses

WHcons4.JPG

Buttress profiles added, cut from paper-thin styrene to keep the edges where the buttress facets meet nice and crisp.  Thicker pieces hidden inside each buttress do all the load-bearing.  Again, I used very thin styrene for the angled buttress walls and spars to minimise the need for filling and sanding at the edges.  Measuring and gluing these was surprisingly quick and easy to do, with everything fitting and staying in place well, even after I dropped the console on my concrete studio floor!   

kert gantry

Hope to be back in a week or two with some significant progress.  In the meantime, here's a tiny hint of things to come...

WHcons5.JPG

Rassilons Rod

This is coming along really nicely! :)

I have to ask... how did you do the "photographic blowup" roundels? an image like that is the holy grail of roundelling!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Aug 04, 2011, 07:14 pm #4 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 07:24 pm by kert gantry
Howdy rasillonsrod

Thanks for your encouraging words.

Used a colour pic from (I think) Power of the Daleks for the photo-roundels.  It was the only image I could find where they were reasonably in focus and straight-on, and the lighting flat enough to enable roundel-cloning from a small section.

Took a lot of patience and fiddling with my poor-man's version of Photoshop - and it still needs some tweaking.  I'd be happy to post a scan of the wall when I've done some more to it (if that's allowed); others may be able to improve it further!

I started work on my first properly 3D roundelled wall yesterday; a sinch compared to the photo one! 

Rassilons Rod

If you would post such a pic, then I wouldn't be the only grateful person around here :)
Public Enema Number One.

mechanoid

Hi Kert,

Excellent work and more than a 'hint' as well! My favourite console too. I shall be following your build with great interest! Loved your pic comparing "Edge of Destruction" scene with your model even though only just started.

Good luck!

the doctor who2

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 04, 2011, 07:48 pm
If you would post such a pic, then I wouldn't be the only grateful person around here :)

That would be very true Rassilonsrod, we would finally get a conclusion to the Photographic Wall Topic :)
I know i would be interested in that wall design, even though i'm not planing on making that console room any time soon.
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: the doctor who2 on Aug 04, 2011, 07:58 pm
That would be very true Rassilonsrod, we would finally get a conclusion to the Photographic Wall Topic :)
I know i would be interested in that wall design, even though i'm not planing on making that console room any time soon.

Remember this blowup lasted right through the Pertwee years. :)
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Aug 05, 2011, 09:57 pm #9 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011, 09:58 pm by kert gantry
Thanks for all the nice comments folks.  I'll try and get some improved photo-roundels posted ASAP.  Spotted a photo blow-up wall in the TARDIS scene in Curse of Peladon Ep. 1 the other day. Was that the last appearance?

DoctorWho8

I believe it was.  The next story to have the TARDIS interior was The Time Monster, which we all know what it looks like. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

May have also appeared the following year (may have been Monster of Peladon... not sure) - but they never appeared in Tom's time.
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Definitely not in Monster of Peladon. The only TARDIS interior scenes in Season 11 are in Death to the Daleks and no photo-roundels there.  Maybe they bit the dust during the Time Monster refurb. 

Rassilons Rod

They appear as a "lobby" at some point, behind the TARDIS' double doors. I cannot remember which story - I thought maybe in Death To The Daleks...
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Oh yes, I remember them doing the lobby thing in Claws of Axos; might not be the only time tho...