News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Tardis Console paint scheme

Started by youmika, Oct 21, 2011, 06:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

youmika

When looking at this picture:
10TC2010.JPG

Would you guys agree that the sides between the segments look like they're supposed to resemble green  emerald or some other type of stone? I was thinking of making the sides a light colored emerald looking green and then darkening it up a bit with some dark green swirls and to finish with a clear coating so it looks like a glassy kind of stone. Do you think that would do the trick?

For the top of the frame I was thinking of using a yellowish colored textured paint.
Bartender says: "We don't serve Timelords in this establishment."
Timelord steps into a Bar.

kiwidoc

Hi, I think the green is a reflection from green lighting in the interior of the console.

the mister

I have closely observed it throughout the series and I would not say it is the lighting reflection. It indeed is a kind of green paint job, not so sure about it supposing to be stone but you could be right . I think your painting ideas sound good. however the yellow part is very rough and textured, so textured paint might not be the best thing. I think you can get a kind of spray on texture. maybe off the internet if not at your hardware store.

youmika

I'm going into the hardware store today and will check out what they have in textured paint. Good idea about the spray-on stuff, will check that out too.
I do get the idea there's a bit of reflection going on on the sideboards but I don't think the green color is only lighting. I have last years Brilliant book of Doctor Who and even on the pictures it looks painted. So will check out some green color as well.

the mister

check this link and read through all the comments. very helpful for the yellow texture.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2792.0

whofan88

I believe it is indeed a reflection from the interior lights of the console or other various green lights underneath each of the panels.  What's making the reflection is in fact sheet metal.  Then entire control room is covered in it but its hard to tell by the way the production team light it.  There are slight variances in the color in a few episodes. 
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

youmika

That Malachite looks a lot like it. Thanks for the link Handofomega!

@whofan88
I really don't think it's just sheet metal, but there's definetly some back lighting of the green kind going on there.

Will try to get some good pics of the console when I'm at the DW Experience on November 12th. Hopefully I can spot everything I missed on other pictures and get a good look at the coral covering of the Console.

galacticprobe

Oct 24, 2011, 09:27 pm #8 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 09:30 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: youmika on Oct 24, 2011, 08:40 pm
The crackled coral looking material looks great! Good find.
Can you do that with any two colors?  I'm thinking in the way of the green sides to the console, because my 'paint it like it's emerald' skills are non existent.

I just had a thought on this one. (I copied the quote here since this is the build my crazy idea goes with.) Since the sides of the console look like swirls and waves of different shades of green, from very dark to almost avocado or a little lighter, why not try dipping a paint brush into a small tray of dark green paint, and then dipping the same brush into a small tray of white paint, and then when you have the two colors on the same brush, paint it in a wave or swirling motion on a scrap piece of wood to see if you can create the effect you're looking for? You could try dipping green paint first, and of that doesn't look quite right try the white paint first. The two colors and swirling should (key word "should") leave different shades of green in the pattern that you swirl. It's worth a try. And if it works on the piece of test wood, then once you perfect your technique you can swirl it on the console.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

I agree with this idea, EXCEPT white would be too bright. just use two different shades of green. and I would advise against using the crackle coral effect on those green inside panels. It's an entirely different effect to what you want.

the mister

galacticprobe

Oct 25, 2011, 03:50 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 03:53 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: the mister on Oct 25, 2011, 08:30 am
I agree with this idea, EXCEPT white would be too bright.

Possibly. My thinking was that during the swirling-painting-on process, with both colors on the same brush at the same time, the paint would mix enough to make the white turn a light green. That's why I suggested trying it out on some scrap pieces first: to see what it looked like, adjust how much of each color to put on the brush, and to get some practice to find out how best to apply the paint that way.

And if the white does come out too bright because it doesn't mix enough during the swirling, you could always add a few drops of green to the white paint tray and stir up a light green to use.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

youmika

Oct 25, 2011, 07:58 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 09:08 pm by youmika
Yes I may have to try this out. Will be buying some Flexa paint this week. They have a sale on them 1+1free. Can't go very wrong with that. Now all I have to do is choose the two correct colors (choosing the correct color is the hardest thing about building).