Jun 07, 2015, 05:14 pm Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 11:13 am by hb88banzai
Heres a photo of Y1, Turnpike Lane.

ThebusstationatTurnpikeLaneUnderground1958ed_zpsjfzdubdt.jpg

Heres the source link: http://www.harringayonline.com/photo/844301:Photo:36745

Cheers

Mark

hb88banzai

Jun 08, 2015, 10:43 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 10:47 am by hb88banzai
Wow - thought I posted this ages ago. Oh well.

I have more on it, including a shot of the original Mark 1 this Mark 5 replaced - just have to dig it up.

Sorry...  :(

hb88banzai

Jun 08, 2015, 11:09 am #2 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 11:16 am by hb88banzai
Oh wait, I did post it, just didn't create a Metbox Catalog topic for it.

Here's the old post that has this photo along with a few others (some still not put into their own Catalog topics, sorry): http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5101.0

Here's the blowup for this Mark 5 from that topic --

Y1-ThebusstationatTurnpikeLaneUnderground1958ed-Blowup.JPG

Good find regardless Dalekoracle - keep them coming!

hb88banzai

Dec 08, 2017, 03:11 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2017, 03:18 am by hb88banzai
In my travels I've come across a couple of photos that show the original Mark 1 Met Box that stood at this site.

Here's one from the London Transport Museum archives, dated May 1933 --

Y1--Turnpike Lane Box (Mark 1) -- May 1933.jpg

A blowup --

Y1--Turnpike Lane Box (Mark 1) -- May 1933--Blowup.JPG

The Mark 1 is in the centre of this blowup, and lest you think I'm seeing things, I actually have a copy of this photo waiting to be scanned and can confirm it is indeed a Mk 1 Met Box.

Here's another I came across on ebay --

Y1-Turnpike Lane-(6x4 corrected--auto levels-unsharp mask--reduced).JPG

Through a comedy of errors, though I won the auction I didn't get the actual photo as the Seller had double posted the same photo in two different auctions and my win was the second of the two. He was kind enough to get me a high resolution copy of his photograph of the photograph he used in the auction, however, which I was able to use to do a decent correction for parallax, etc. Not perfect, but good enough to get a decent view of the Box.

Here's a cropped closeup of the Box portion of the corrected image at max resolution (and with a bit of enhancement) --

Y1-Turnpike Lane-(6x4 corrected--auto levels-unsharp mask)-cropped-compressed.JPG

Doubt if the original would have been much better than this, but it's still good enough to see it's definitely a Mark 1, as expected for one of the first of the Wood Green Boxes.

petewilson

Dec 09, 2017, 01:18 pm #4 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2017, 01:20 pm by petewilson
Here's a photo of the Mark 1 from the early 1930's that I found on my Hard Drive (Which I thought had already been posted!)  ::)

Y1 Turnpike Lane, Wood Green.jpg

scruffy57

Just another shot of this PCB  PCB Turnpike Lane.jpg

scruffy57

PCB turnpike-lane-southgate.jpg

The subject is named on the back
Turnpike Lane
Southgate Extension, Piccadilly Line
Photo by Topical
13 Oct 1930

petewilson

Dec 10, 2017, 08:23 am #7 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 08:25 am by petewilson
That's Y1 again scruffy along with the other thumbnail that you posted on the correct thread of this box.......Well done for spotting them though!
The box was there before the trams  terminus and station!

Is there any better photo's (or links) to these two thumbnails?

Pete

scruffy57

Hi Pete, no these are the best shots. They are from a photo/card sale site that doesn't offer better images

Regards Scruff

hb88banzai

Dec 10, 2017, 02:41 pm #9 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 03:15 pm by hb88banzai
Wow, I seem to have opened the floodgates for this one. About time, I think. Great finds Pete and Scruff!

Anyway, here's a blowup of Pete's pic --

Y1 Turnpike Lane, Wood Green--Blowup.JPG

Not great quality to work with, but I did a rough perspective correction for Scruffy's thumbnails and enlarged them a bit for clarity --

PCB Turnpike Lane-RoughCorrections-200Perc.jpg

PCB turnpike-lane-southgate-RoughCorrections-200perc.jpg

Slightly enhanced blowups of the Box --

EPCB Turnpike Lane-RoughCorrections-EnhancedBlowup.JPG

PCB turnpike-lane-southgate-RoughCorrections-EhancedBlowup.JPG

Now this last one has got to be very early on. It's not only before the bus and tram terminals were built, which I believe was around the same time Turnpike Lane Station was opened (September 1932), but it clearly sports the original red globe top light that all the Mark 1's and the early Mark 2's were initially equipped with. As you can see from the later photos, they were all changed over to standard MetBox Fresnel beacons within a year or two. In contrast, Pete's pic of it looks to show it with the refitted light and full Mk 1 telephone and St. John signage (which weren't attached until mid-to-late 1930).

It's kind of odd though, the lack of a St John's badge would also suggest an early 1930 dating for Scruffy's second photo of the Box, probably around the time it was commissioned (unfortunately the gentlemen standing in front are obscuring a view of any telephone signage to confirm this), yet the glint on the left top sign would suggest that it is after they began experimenting with the glass replacements for the original pierced metal "POLICE" signs. It was reported that most Boxes had received St. John signage along with the requisite First Aid kits fairly early in 1930, but had thought the top sign experiments (in Wood Green, by the way, so that fits) would have been around the same time or even later. I'll have to dig up those memos again and cross-check the dating.

Found another interesting bit, though. Wasn't sure where this had been located before, as the Surveyor's lists merely put it as "Hornsey, Green Lanes", but I also found a photo of the original type Metropolitan Police Telephone Box (aka Fixed Point Box, aka Mk 0) that preceded the above Met Boxes.

Here's a photo of it from some time in the late teens or early 20s (hand written on the back of the postcard is "Aug 10, 26", so earlier than that) --

Y1-Mark 0--High Road at Turnpike Lane-1920s-200perc-clean.jpg

A closeup --

Y1-Mark 0--High Road at Turnpike Lane-1920s-EnhancedBlowup.JPG

This was situated on the west side of Green Lanes/High Road Wood Green, just outside The Wellington P.H., which is on the corner just the other side of Turnpike Lane from where the later Met Box was sited. It appears to have been originally erected circa 1908, and remained in use until the Met Box was installed across the street. It had apparently been joined by a Metropolitan Police Ambulance shed some time between 1912 and 1924, either at this same site or on Duckett's Common itself like the Met Box.

dr hue

Jan 02, 2024, 04:59 pm #10 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2024, 06:42 pm by dr hue
Mk5

Y1
A.R.W. Siren
20-Jan-1930
05-Feb-1970

Southwest corner of junction of Turnpike Lane and Green Lanes

District:    Wood Green
Subdivision: Hornsey

51.590176, -0.103386

turnpike-9-png.png