May 16, 2024, 04:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

christys matt smith tardis build

Started by christysmh, Apr 14, 2015, 06:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

christysmh

Apr 14, 2015, 06:25 am Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015, 06:29 am by christysmh
hi guys, im christy. im 19 years old and a fairly new whovian. ive never built anything out of wood in my entire life but ive decided to build my own matt smith style life-size TARDIS, my plan is to just pretend i have a plan and actually know what im doing...i was planning on using my build for a wardrobe just to have a use for it but now that ive bought wood and cut it all down to size over these past few days ive realized its gonna be way too tall for my room, so who knows what ill do with it, but hey, ITS GONNA BE MY VERY OWN TARDIS, whether its useful or not, it will still be AWESOME :D so i discovered this site and decided to make a diary showing my progress over the coarse of this build, i will be updating here and posting pictures on my progress. so far ive bought and cut the wood for it. it cost me about $140 for wood alone, just to give anyone considering to build a TARDIS an idea of probably the cheapest price it could cost for all the wood needed (i got the least expensive types of wood available). but yeah my build is going to be able to be put together and taken back apart, as the pieces all fit together in a kind of puzzle formation. i chose to do this so i could transport it into my bedroom.. which obviously isnt gonna happen now...FAIL..but hey, i look forward to all the blood, sweat, and tears i plan on putting into this,
so allons-y.
"900 years of time and space and i've never met anyone who wasn't important." - The Doctor

bazz

Good luck with the build mate, it's certainly an exciting project, and I look forward to seeing your creation grow and come to life.

Bazz

christysmh

Apr 15, 2015, 02:30 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015, 08:09 am by christysmh
so i built the base for my TARDIS today. (the random pieces of wood at each corner are just spacers to give me an idea of where the 4 outer pillars are going to be placed.) unfortunately just as i completed it my pocket hole drill bit broke, so guess ill have to get another one ordered..even though i just ordered the one that broke a couple days ago...well, i know to be more careful with the next one. tardis base.jpg
"900 years of time and space and i've never met anyone who wasn't important." - The Doctor

galacticprobe

Apr 15, 2015, 06:06 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
Hey, Christy! It looks like your photo didn't come through. Check out my post here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6011.0 - it should help with some of the photo-posting problems you might be having. It also provides a few links to downloadable (free) PDFs of some very helpful guides and some New Series TARDIS plans (all created by members here).

Good luck with your build, and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

christysmh

got a jelly jar outdoor light for the top of my TARDIS in the mail today. only cost $7 on amazon. i still have yet to paint the black base blue, and somehow create the cone-like fixture to go on the top of it, but i think the sizing and look of it should work just perfectly.jelly jar.jpg

russellsuthern

For only seven dollars, that's amazing!
What are the dimensions?
(I'm always amazed at how big the original ones were- Like glass buckets!)
Good find!

Russell

christysmh

Apr 16, 2015, 12:07 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2015, 12:09 am by christysmh
yea! :D im quite happy with it really. its 4 3/4 inches wide and 6 inches high.

bazz

I have no doubt that you are going to build something remarkable, you are already off to a better start that I was, I haven't even put in my floor yet. I started off with the hopes of being able to dismantle and make it portable, i had seen a guy on youtube do it, he had made a floor like yours, however my best laid plans, or rather lack there of, double with the fact that my carpentry is almost non existant, means that my old girl has more screws in her than you can possibly imagine, what was supposed to be collapsable ended up being permanently screwed and glued lol. As I say that I have enjoyed making it come together and its a really cool journey to take, frustrating at times, and once it's finished it might not be "The TARDIS" but it will be "A TARDIS".
Your's however, as I said you're already off to a better start than me and I look forward to seeing your journey unfold, and can't wait to see your finished TARDIS :D
Bazz

galacticprobe

Apr 17, 2015, 04:25 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015, 04:26 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: bazz on Apr 16, 2015, 11:09 am
I have no doubt that you are going to build something remarkable, you are already off to a better start that I was, I haven't even put in my floor yet.

I have to echo bazz's comments. I started my build when I snagged a Fresnel lens from the ship I was stationed on back in 1983, and since then I've only progressed to the point of acquiring some door handles! (The longest TARDIS build in history... I know they say it can take a century or longer to "grow" a TARDIS, but I hadn't planned on taking it literally! ;D Of course the bad back doesn't help much. :P)

...and I look forward to seeing your journey unfold, and can't wait to see your finished TARDIS :D

And again I must echo this comment!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

christysmh

Apr 18, 2015, 01:52 am #9 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 01:58 am by christysmh
so as of today i managed to make the 4 outer posts, and almost finished one wall...so the 4 posts, wall, and base are all unconnected here (as they will remain) because they fit together like puzzle pieces so that i can move it around easier. haven't yet attached the mechanism to make the wall stay in place yet, so i'm just holding the wall up in the pic. cant even imagine trying to lug around a full-size TARDIS if everything was screwed together, i can barely lift the base alone, haha. im goin for the matt smith tardis type look, so hopefully its beginning to show a tiddly bit.
tardis progress.jpg

christysmh

Apr 18, 2015, 02:08 am #10 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 02:40 am by christysmh
I have no doubt that you are going to build something remarkable, you are already off to a better start that I was...

thanks bazz :) i sure hope it looks good when its finished. well by the pictures of your TARDIS i certainly cant even tell your carpentry skills are non-existent xD but yea, i have no carpentry experience either, haha. yea thats a good way to look at it, it doesnt have to look like an exact match to the original, it still will be a TARDIS, just your very own original TARDIS for if you were the doctor. XD

christysmh

Apr 18, 2015, 02:39 am #11 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 02:41 am by christysmh
Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 17, 2015, 04:25 am
I have to echo bazz's comments. I started my build when I snagged a Fresnel lens from the ship I was stationed on back in 1983...
Dino.

thanks dino, oh wow, that really is a long time XD haha. well best of luck to you on getting it finished someday. and by the looks of the pictures of your mini tardis build from back when, i bet you could build a FANTASTIC full size TARDIS!

ticktocktwins

Its coming along great!

I personally am SO glad you are building Smith's TARDIS because I have been planning the same for months now but havent had the money to go out and do it!

It makes me even happier because we're similar ages XD Mine will be used for a fan show I'm making.

PLEASE keep updating! If you don't mind sharing details with me I would very much appreciate all the help!

christysmh

Quote from: ticktocktwins on Apr 18, 2015, 04:18 am
Its coming along great!
I personally am SO glad you are building Smith's TARDIS because I have been planning the same for months now but havent had the money to go out and do it!
It makes me even happier because we're similar ages XD Mine will be used for a fan show I'm making.
PLEASE keep updating! If you don't mind sharing details with me I would very much appreciate all the help!

oh great! :D i plan on updating on here all the way until i have it completed, once im done with the building if u like the finished look of it i could tell you the lengths of wood i used, i just made up my own measurements that im building it by, and i have them all written down. xD or i could tell you the grand total cost once ive bought everything, just to give you an idea of how much youll need ...but yea, ooo, a fan show, well thats exciting :)

superrichi1a

Wooooooooowwwww I came onto this thread a few days ago thinking "hmmm, excellent project! I'll probably comment in a few weeks or months when enough has been made that I have something to say."
Here we are days later and you're already well into it! Rocketing along! Well done and good work, it's all looking on the money :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?