Apr 16, 2024, 10:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk III Console (1983)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

omarvance

Has anyone seen any pictures of the backside of the wall, column, door pieces? I'm curious how they were made. I know there is a pic floating around of the doors propped up against a wall looking sadly discarded. :(

tony farrell

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2016, 05:49 am #62 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2016, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
This really makes you realize just how far the studio and production equipment quality had progressed from the latter part of the Classic Series (having to share a studio with other productions, and having to assemble everything before each day's shooting; walls made from ply with bracing sandwiched between them), to having a dedicated studio for the New Series, where things are untouched, and ready to go no matter when.

Looking at the construction of those Classic walls and seeing the solidness of the current console room's exterior, one wonders how the Classic Series would have faired in those last few years if they'd been given the same opportunities afforded the New Series.

Great images, Tony! As a technical-minded person I love seeing how things are put together. (It also gives me ideas of what to do if I ever find myself in a new house with a room that makes you say "You know, this room is a little large; I think I'll put up some false walls with roundels in them and run some backlighting behind them and have a nice console room." ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

quiettype5

20150526_145722.jpg

A picture taken within the year at the Experience.
Enjoy!
Brachacki, Newbury, Yardley-Jones, Hudolin and Richmond.
To everyone else they are just names.

ThePuzzledBoy

Just curious, but are there any decent pics of the console keyboard -- the one with the "send", "enter", "return", and "clear" column of keys -- and specifically the last two rows below said keys? I believe I've seen some pics showing some keys in good view, but not all of them.

Thanks,
Hunter
ThePuzzledboy - a cosplayer who needs his own TARDIS and console.....

timewomble

Jul 14, 2016, 10:49 pm #65 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2016, 10:51 pm by timewomble
Are any of these helpful? I have a couple of others but they seem less relevant.

IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg

Best regards,

- Peter.

galacticprobe

Jul 15, 2016, 06:13 am #66 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
As an added bonus to the "Five Doctors" console reference, here's a great image I stumbled across showing that blank monitor on the far side of the console - the monitor we never saw (well... were never supposed to see, since it wasn't there!).

BlankMonitor-02.jpg
This is from "Attack of the Cybermen", and I think the only story in which we get this good a look at that blank monitor housing.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThePuzzledBoy

Jul 18, 2016, 11:34 pm #67 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016, 11:36 pm by thepuzzledboy
Quote from: timewomble on Jul 14, 2016, 10:49 pm
Are any of these helpful? I have a couple of others but they seem less relevant.

IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg

Best regards,

- Peter.

:o Oh yes yes yes! :D Thank you so much, Peter! You've exceeded my expectations! ;D I've been so curious about those keys, and now I've got more than I originally thought I'd get!

Thank you,
Hunter

P.S. Sorry I didn't post sooner.
ThePuzzledboy - a cosplayer who needs his own TARDIS and console.....

timewomble

You're very welcome. I'm delighted you're delighted.  :)

It wasn't until I posted them that I noticed something about the red slots in the collar; the red isn't just at the back of the slots but is also slightly on the inside faces, so even when you see them at an angle they still look like thin red rectangles, which they wouldn't if they'd just painted the backs.

Mark

I'm fairly sure that they are open slots with a red bit of plastic behind them and originally used to be lit from behind.

Maybe I'm confusing Jarrod's awesome replica with the prototype?

galacticprobe

Jul 19, 2016, 08:57 pm #70 Last Edit: Jul 19, 2016, 09:02 pm by galacticprobe
No, Mark, you are correct. Those were open slots backed with translucent red perspex and lit with small fluorescent tubes on the original prop. Here's a great image (I can't remember which episode it's from) that shows it:

RedSlots-Lights.jpg

There are more images on the first page of this very thread, and even more in other threads of this http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=56.0 Section.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

fivefingeredstyre

That's Timelash pt1, just before the TARDIS goes down the time corridor or whatever was called....  ;)

kiwidoc

Great pic, always fascinates me.  Weird thing is, I NEVER had any sense of the red bits being lit in the show - it wasn't until Jarrod built his replica that I discovered it was a thing (and I thought it was his own choice initially).  I guess the studio lights just washed out the glow - unless anyone can point out a show where the lit-up streaks was obvious?   

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 19, 2016, 08:57 pm
No, Mark, you are correct. Those were open slots backed with translucent red perspex and lit with small fluorescent tubes on the original prop. Here's a great image (I can't remember which episode it's from) that shows it:

RedSlots-Lights.jpg

There are more images on the first page of this very thread, and even more in other threads of this http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=56.0 Section.

Dino.

galacticprobe

Jul 20, 2016, 04:38 am #74 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2016, 04:52 am by galacticprobe
We'd have to go back to the stories starting with "The Five Doctors", Glen, and then watch all of them from there on. Usually, though, when they had a "power problem" in the TARDIS and all of the lights dimmed, they also dimmed the lights inside the column as well.

Also, just look at how far back from those slots the fluorescent tubes are. That would lead to dimmer light coming through the slots. Also, that red perspex isn't clear; it's translucent so not as much light would come through it as if it was clear. We also don't know how thick it was, but guessing by what little we've seen of those panels in the reference images, I would hazard a guess of at least 1/8th inch thick, so some light would get trapped (or blocked) by the thickness, more so if the perspex was thicker, say 1/4th inch thick.

I've done some digging in my console folders and found this grab (gotten from who knows where - probably on here somewhere) from "The Five Doctors". Given that the panel facing us is mostly in some sort of shadow, and those red slots are lighter than usual for being in partial shadow, this could be the first glimpse of the light coming through the red perspex behind the slots:
Five DoctorsConsole.jpg

I'm sure there are more scenes where the light comes through; I just can't pull a story out of my hat at the moment.

Dino.