News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Met box plans - first draft.

Started by anita, Feb 06, 2009, 12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

anita

Feb 06, 2009, 12:14 pm Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 12:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Hello all,

I've been gathering together accurate measurements for the mk 2 met box, these come from the Trench plans and dims taken from the Crich box by Mark.

Here is a first draft of the new bluprints.

PoliceBoxFirstDims-1.gif

And a higher resolution copy - right click and save...

th_PoliceBox-2.gif

I've only included CONFIRMED measurements so there are still some missing. I'm still looking for confirmed measurements for the three steps at the top of the box and the overall height of the pillars (94 inches?) if anyone wants to add their own confirmed dims please feel free!

anita

May 31, 2009, 12:30 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 11:26 pm by scarfwearer
PeteD now has of copy of my sketchup drawing.
For anyone else who would like to download these "3D plans" you can find them here;

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=c087b9a6c3b504fbe4c2b81eae602aa

Sketchup is a fantastic bit of software and it's also completely free;

http://sketchup.google.com/download/gsu.html

anson

I'm trying to produce a very detailed set of plans based on Anita's Sketchup - perhaps they can be official 'Tardis builders' plans.
I don't really know what format they should be in - suggestions welcome!

So far;

th_MetropolitanPoliceroof.jpgth_MetropolitanPoliceBoxsignbox.jpgth_MetropolitanPoliceBoxsignboxdepth.jpgth_MetropolitanPoliceBoxpillartop.jpgth_metboxroof.jpg
th_metboxdoors.jpgth_metboxdetail1.jpg

lorisarvendu

What about the little "lip" on the bottom of the window frames?  Everyone seems to leave that off (me included).  I'm assuming that's there to stop rain running down the window from leaking in?

the_doctor

Really great work. Think these will be the plans for my build! Not sure we will get all the wee details in but we will do the best we can. As for a format... PDF?

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2011, 04:46 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 04:47 pm by galacticprobe
The little "lip" on the bottom of the window frames was only there in the Brachacki box. It wasn't there on any of the other prop models, or on a "real" Met Police Box, which are what these plans are for. They're more closely related to the Cushing TARDIS from the movies than they are to any of the TARDIS props seen on the TV show. So in that light I wouldn't recommend they become the "official TARDIS Builders' Plans" unless the goal for TARDIS Builders is to build only Met Police Boxes.

Remember, not one of the TV TARDISes was built using these plans, and only the New Series TARDISes barely come close to them. So let's not get too carried away with making "official" plans. (Ask Kiwidoc; he's created a wonderful "TARDIS Builders' Manual" that shows many of the variances in the prop's appearance, so making one set of Met Box plans the "official" plans for TARDIS building would be discarding all TARDIS prop models: Brachacki, Brachacki Modified, Newbery, Yardley-Jones, Hudolin, Thomas.)

There is no doubt that very detailed Met box plans are a welcome addition, especially as quite a few of our members have expressed a desire to build a Met box and have been looking for plans of this detail. But to say these should become "the Official TARDIS Builders' Plans" is jumping ahead a bit far since there are "official" plans for each of the above mentioned models. And it wouldn't be right to say that only one set of plans is official for TARDIS Builders.

Just MHO. Any thoughts from other members on this?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the_doctor

I could be wrong but I thought Anson meant official TARDIS Builders Met Box plans, hopefully being the most accurate plans available as opposed to what you interpreted...

lorisarvendu

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 12, 2011, 04:46 pm
The little "lip" on the bottom of the window frames was only there in the Brachacki box. It wasn't there on any of the other prop models, or on a "real" Met Police Box, which are what these plans are for.
Dino.

Well the Crich box has got them.

the_doctor

Jul 12, 2011, 06:05 pm #8 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 06:15 pm by the_doctor
So it does! Looks like the Barnet box has them too. Tricky to see as they don't appear to be as pronounced as the TV counterpart... There was also a wee lip above the 'Pull To Open' door on some Met Boxes...

lorisarvendu

I'd guess that's because the prop has windows made of wood, so they made them thick for strength.  However a real box has windows made from machined metal, so you don't need to make them as thick.  Also it'd make the window frame heavy.  As usual the prop is a compromise for logical reasons.

anson

QuoteI wouldn't recommend they become the "official TARDIS Builders' Plans" unless the goal for TARDIS Builders is to build only Met Police Boxes.

Remember, not one of the TV TARDISes was built using these plans, and only the New Series TARDISes barely come close to them. So let's not get too carried away with making "official" plans. (Ask Kiwidoc; he's created a wonderful "TARDIS Builders' Manual" that shows many of the variances in the prop's appearance, so making one set of Met Box plans the "official" plans for TARDIS building would be discarding all TARDIS prop models: Brachacki, Brachacki Modified, Newbery, Yardley-Jones, Hudolin, Thomas.)

Just MHO. Any thoughts from other members on this?

Dino.

Please make yourself a nice cup of tea, sit down and relax!

I mean Official Tardis builders MET box plans - this IS the original after all.

I had intended to do the same for the ALL the other boxes bar the 2005.
I've created Sketchups of every Tardis prop bar some of the slighty modified versions...

anson

Jul 12, 2011, 09:19 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 09:27 pm by anson
I'll get round to the lip too!

lip-2.jpg

Plans will be in PDF if the mods are okay with this - official MET plans or not...

deck5

I foresee no objection.  Met dimensions have been available for a long time already.  I'm anxious to see yours!

galacticprobe

Jul 13, 2011, 06:23 am #13 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 06:27 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: anson on Jul 12, 2011, 09:17 pm
Please make yourself a nice cup of tea, sit down and relax!

I mean Official Tardis builders MET box plans - this IS the original after all.

I had intended to do the same for the ALL the other boxes bar the 2005.
I've created Sketchups of every Tardis prop bar some of the slighty modified versions...

I DON'T NEED A FLIPPIN' CUP OF TEA! (And before we go any further, let me say that line was spoken, er, typed, in the vein of Basil Fawlty, vocally anyway as my current physical condition prevents me from jumping around like he could. Translation: it's a joke, so the Mods can relax; I love a good cuppa, and I do have one in front of me at the moment - decaf, of course. ;D)

I may have misunderstood your intention regarding the plans, but I wasn't making my post with any hostility behind it. As I did say, several members have been just itching to get their hands on a set of plans like this because they want to build Met boxes.

If you are intending to do this with each of the TARDIS versions then I applaud you loudly. I would love to get my hands on such a set for the Brachacki box, and others have been looking for the same for the Brachacki Modified box. In fact, if you were to take a poll you'd probably find that most people here would like to - and have done - build more than one TARDIS prop replica, and those who are gearing up to do the same will hail your efforts (which I tried to do on the Met box, but obviously I needed a little more work on my praise factor :-\).

That photo you posted above, of the Met box window, shows excellent detail of that lip. And it is an actual lip! The Brachacki detail at the bottom wasn't so much a lip as a bar, so there was confusion on my part there. Sorry about that.

And I'm in favor of PDF versions of the plans. They're the easiest to view and print out. I've tried printing some jpegs and gifs with mixed results, (not strictly of "police box" plans, but of other images), whereas the PDFs always come out clear. And like you say (as does our Disclaimer), anything before the 2005 box is fair game.

So, as my son often says when he puts his foot in his mouth (which he does far more often than I do): "Don't hate me because I'm stupid; just hate me because I'm me." (Not sure if that's going to open a Genesis Arc on me or not, but hey, I always admit when I make a mistake.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

anita

Feb 16, 2009, 06:43 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:17 am by scarfwearer
It's a combination of the Trench plans, the GPO electrical diagrams and measurements from a member of the forum who hasn't posted here for ages called mark.

Incidentally I've managed to upload the model to the Sketchup warehouse - look for "police box".