Mar 29, 2024, 04:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 Coral Console Room Build

Started by Staniel, Jun 29, 2015, 03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Staniel

Jun 29, 2015, 03:11 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2015, 03:15 pm by staniel
Been working on this for a while now and needed some feedback on whether if it looks visually correct to the actual set or not.

Still needs A LOT of work doing to it till its finished, e.g. adding console detail and most of the room clutter.

Excuse the poor quality of the pictures, they're straight from the viewport. Didn't have time to do a full render

zo1rt6Rh.png
3s7dMf4h.png
1qs17FIh.png

Let me know what you guys think.  :D

companion92

Jun 29, 2015, 03:57 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2015, 04:01 pm by companion92
It's looking pretty accurate to me. And this is my favorite control room.  Keep it up, you're doing a great job  ;D
Molto bene Mike

galacticprobe

Jun 30, 2015, 05:24 am #2 Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015, 05:31 am by galacticprobe
I agree. Although, you might want to make the "corners" where the console's ribs come together at the top curve out a bit more. It's a tad tight up there at the moment, with the "neck" (that thingy under the two collars at the base of the column) not leaving any room for the bits that go up there. (See this close-up of the console while it was still under construction and hopefully you'll see what I'm trying to describe.)

The TARDIS-49.jpg
See how they have a sort of "concave" curve to them as they go from one rib to the next.

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Staniel

Jun 30, 2015, 01:59 pm #3 Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015, 04:45 pm by staniel
Ahh, I see what you mean by it being tight. Will widen the top on the console ribs. Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

By any chance, does anyone have any good reference images of the upper level of the control room with the ladder? Would be a huge help.

EDIT

Fixed the top of console sizing and added a bit more curvature to the parts in between the ribs.
UmpH2amh.png

galacticprobe

Jul 01, 2015, 06:11 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015, 06:24 am by galacticprobe
There are a couple of nice images in here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1020.0. You'll also find a ton of "under construction" photos and some completed photos in here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1111.0 (lots of the console at first, and then it goes into the console room).

More threads for reference images are in here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=58.0 so do poke around those threads. You'll probably find just about every reference you could want. (One thing to note on this console: that "purple slider" you'll see in some photos - the slider is in one of those curved bits where the ribs meet at the top of the console - was only installed for the episode "The Doctor's Wife"; it was never there before that. So if you're going for the Eccleston or Tennant look for the console, don't put that slider in.)

I hope this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Staniel

Thanks man, really appreciate the help!

Staniel

Had some time today, so modeled the scanner and the rotating part.

9wMoc1hh.png
2AtfYz9h.png

galacticprobe

Jul 06, 2015, 04:54 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2015, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
I like that! It also gives me some thoughts to try (if I can remember them :P) for mounting my monitor when the time comes.

Dino.

Staniel

This image might be some help to you in the future, its the reference I used.
JBHJsqAl.png

galacticprobe

Jul 07, 2015, 05:51 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2015, 05:51 am by galacticprobe
Oh, I've seen that image, and just about all the others in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=58.0 section (plus a few more I found back before I stumbled onto TARDIS builders - when it was the tardis rebuilders proboard). The issue I'm having is I'm going for an "Identity Crisis" console - what the console might have looked like when the Old Girl locked everyone out while rebuilding in "The Eleventh Hour": a mish-mash of bits from the 2005 and 2010 console - with some original aspects mixed in. It's the mount and swivel I'm having problems figuring out, but your clear render (without all of the wiring to obscure things) helps. (Like with those diagrams that say "Cover omitted for clarity".)

Dino.

vortex maker

Hi, nice work! I worthy addition to our little family of 2005 consoles :)

A few comments:
The general shape of everything looks right, and everything looks good in proportion to each other. The only major shape that I think could be improved apon, is the large inside curve of the pillars, but that's nothing major, and I think in this case is up to personal interpretation.

As was already pointed out, the mount for the monitor is quite different. I would try to explain it, but the example above does a better job than any of my words would.

Finally, I have to ask, are you using maya? Modo? 3DS Max? It doesn't really matter, but it can be a bit interesting to see the different softwares that people use here.

Also, any chance that you could post some clay renders fairly soon? I'd love to see how this looks under some proper lighting.

Staniel

Jul 08, 2015, 01:43 pm #11 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2015, 01:47 pm by Staniel
Thanks for the feedback!

The software i use is 3Ds Max, have around 3-4 years experience 3D modeling in it.

I will do some ambient occlusion renders soon, as I haven't yet got a decent lighting set-up as of yet. I'll post them here when I do them anyway.