Mar 29, 2024, 06:08 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1996 TV movie wooden TARDIS build

Started by alextheyellowthing, Nov 28, 2020, 03:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Your English is a damn site better than my French, so I think you are doing ok!!

I'll wade in with a top 5:

5) Newberry, just because it brings back childhood memories of Tom.

4) TYJ: Like the texturing & general shape.

3) Cushing Movie box. Because it looks most like the real thing.

2) Brachacki.  The original is hard to beat.

1) Hudolin.  A chunky upgrade of the original.

I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of any of the new boxes....sorry!

I expect if enough people contribute a list, then it will be split off to form it's own topic...

I'm sure there was a top 10 TARDIS list on TARDISbuilders once before, but I can't seem to find it...

I'm personally waiting for the definitive top ten list of TARDIS top ten lists...  ;D

Regards,

Russell

alextheyellowthing

That's a good sélection in my humble opinion. Those tops tells a lot about our history with the show i think. I'm a big kid, so i like the big fancy toys with the light effets and inside cards X)

scotland yard

Quote from: alextheyellowthing on Jan 05, 2021, 08:59 pmThat's a good sélection in my humble opinion. Those tops tells a lot about our history with the show i think. I'm a big kid, so i like the big fancy toys with the light effets and inside cards X)

Yes, they do!

My top 3 would be 1) Brachacki/Brachacki Altered, 2) Newbery, 3) New Series TARDIS.

Having grown up with New Who, this seems weird, however, my father is what you may call a well-intended idiot. During my rebel teenage years, he didn't like it that I was watching some Classic Who out of curiosity, so he banned me from watching it. He, naturally, failed spectacularly. Instead of having to sneak around to do illegal stuff like most other teenagers did, I had to sneak around to watch old TV! He did catch me when I was watching City of Death, but when I informed him that he hadn't noticed that I had carried on with my little hobby that he had banned three years ago, he was kind of dumb-struck and let it go.

So, for me, Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and Baker have this huge thrill that I don't have with any other Doctors. And that's why their TARDISes are on the top of my list, it brings back memories of the thrill it was to see them while I had to sneak around!
Oh my giddy aunt!!

alextheyellowthing

@scotland yard that's actually a pretty intressting trivia X)
I'm use to the "japanidiotique" ban, no "anime" but tom sawyer, candy, ulyss31, detective conan etc was ok when oban star racer, wakfu and code lyoko was not... But the classic doxtor who is a new. Beneficial ban i guess ? I don't think hiding pieces of média that armless is realy priductive in anyway but i guess it didn't turned out bad.
At least, it's a fun storry to tell now.

alextheyellowthing

Hey, i still haven't been out for wood, there's been to much rain lately and i fear all i'll fined is soaked ans warp ply wood worth nothing no more.

So instead, i've started, the tidious and not really requiered because you can fine sone decent one on the net, job of making metal hinges. So here's how i make my "lockdown hinges:
Disclamer, i'm manipulating metal and heavy pliers. I don't think it's that dangerous, but be care full i guess.

You'll need a fine sheet of Steel (about half a millimètre to quarter a millimètre of thincness) mine use to be a lemon sirop canister (i don't recommand sourcing you metal in soda cans, the métal is to fine, if you can bend it without any efforts, keep searching)
IMG_20210108_021303_413.jpgIMG_20210108_021300_401.jpg

I start with a strip that i cut twice the final lenght i desire. You should be able to make this hinges at any scale you're after (there's a limite to how small it can be i guess)
IMG_20210108_021258_232.jpg

Then, using a steel rode(nails works pretty well, in this exemple, i use a metal staple holding the wooden pallets i've sourced most of my wood from) bend it in half and clamp it to shape with pliers, trying to keep a side flat (looking from the side, it should look like a "d")
IMG_20210108_021256_574.jpgIMG_20210108_021223_087.jpgIMG_20210108_021220_984.jpg

Repeat the process to make the other half of the hinges
IMG_20210108_021219_319.jpg

Then, using a cuting plier or a solide pair of cisors, starting from the midle out, make those separations. You can use the steel rode and a niddle to reshape thz holes. Then bend inward the metal tabs (1 evey 2 tabs) like so:
IMG_20210108_021217_011.jpg

Repeat on the other side and assemble both pieces. Incert an rode or a nail inside the holes et voilà. IMG_20210108_021215_664.jpgIMG_20210108_021213_916.jpgIMG_20210108_021211_846.jpg

And try to keep it staight, if not, redo it again i guessIMG_20210108_021210_596.jpg

I've use those on evey of my tardis, so far, they're been hiden inside, but i think, with enought work, they could be fitted on the door sides like it is in the show/movies.
IMG_20210108_021209_247.jpgIMG_20210108_021207_317.jpgIMG_20210108_021205_169.jpgIMG_20210108_021203_854.jpgIMG_20210108_021202_558.jpg

I hope i'm not to confusing in my explanations and that it could get use full to someone

Cheers

russellsuthern

Those hinges look incredible!

I'm constantly amazed at how you can do such detailed work on such a small scale.

Your eyes must be a lot better than mine!!

Great work,

Russell

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: russellsuthern on Jan 08, 2021, 09:10 amThose hinges look incredible!

I'm constantly amazed at how you can do such detailed work on such a small scale.

Your eyes must be a lot better than mine!!

Great work,

Russell

Thx, it's actuly pretty easy to do i think. A bit fiddly but nothing compared to the door handles.

Volpone

This Website really makes me appreciate diversity.  The temptation is to be a snob and say "I only do full-size physical builds."  But then you see someone's scratch-built model.  Or their 3D rendering.  Or the research they've done on identifying police boxes, and you really appreciate all the hard work and skill that goes into other aspects of the hobby. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Absolutely!

It is fantastic that the site broadened it's remit & covers various different categories.

Not least because if it only featured full size, real world TARDIS builds, we would often be waiting a looong time between new posts & updates! 

Best regards & kudos to anyone who contributes to TARDISbuilders, in all their myriad ways!

Russell

alextheyellowthing

@Volpone @russellsuthern i'm trully impressed about how much this forum holds. And for a nerdy obsesive guy like me, it made my research in to those props so much easier and quick, i can't even think how much time it would have took me to other wise. the best point of comparaison i have, is the Back to the future delorean i haven't even finished. reasearching on those 7ish props are still a work in progress. Had to that, all the creative, talented and open mined/calm tempered people, i'm impressed and glade i've joined in earlier this year. and i'm also very glade the forum got back after it went a couple month ago. For me, it started with a chiness produced garden lamp lol... (which i missed the last one on sale of 3weeks after 20ish years of being aviable in stores...)
i'm glade to be there, i enjoye the place a lot, and i'm glade to help a bit if i do in anyway.
and thx guys for being around too ^^

Volpone

At the risk of further derailing your thread (that's kinda my thing here), I remember when the new series was still fairly new and there was a thread here where they did enough analysis on the TARDIS key that it was decided it was likely a person could make a key that would open the lock on the BBC prop with the research done here. 

And speaking of research on '80s vehicles, I've done an A-Team van (not a time machine so maybe too far off topic but I digress).  My point is, not only is there very little information out there, a lot of people who've built A-Team vans, I swear they intentionally put false info out there to mess up other people doing builds.  Meanwhile here someone will be "Does anyone know the diameter on the time column from the 1963 prop?" and 3 people will have the answer and at least 2 of them will point you to the thread the information was in in the first place. 

Someone will be trying to figure out why their K-9 doesn't look right and someone else will point out that K-9's ears are mounted at an angle.  A lot of places, people would smugly think "my K-9 is better than your K-9," but here we want each other to succeed. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

alextheyellowthing

@Volpone
The A team van is a hard one to research because there's been a couple hero props (3 to my knowlege that you can defernciate by the indicators, the mirrors and some part of the body kit, and the number of bolts on the wheels). After that, stunt wise, the production went generaly pretty cheap and used almost every van aviable at the time, crudly painted and that's it.

I recommand looking up bob's prop shop for that. He does perfect replicas of the time machine but also some other hollywood cars. The guy as some good connexions and manage to get some good stuff that he shares a bit on youtube.

alextheyellowthing

I have a horrible doubt, does the Hudolin box's left door (with the pull to open sign) opens ?

Volpone

I don't remember if we see it open or not, but given the gag where the motorcycle drives in (which, of course, they used an even wider stunt prop) it is certainly implied that it opens. 
-The Doctor.

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: Volpone on Jan 10, 2021, 01:49 pmI don't remember if we see it open or not, but given the gag where the motorcycle drives in (which, of course, they used an even wider stunt prop) it is certainly implied that it opens. 

That's my guess so far. I don't have access to the tv movie at the moment, i think there a shot/reverse shot with the hero prop and the bike before a pan/traveling shot where the bike enter the tardis