May 19, 2024, 01:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Custom TARDIS Console

Started by Conncur1708, Mar 18, 2021, 11:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Conncur1708

Mar 18, 2021, 11:24 am Last Edit: Mar 18, 2021, 10:13 pm by Volpone Reason: Demonstrating "inserting" a picture.
Hello all! First post on here, so here's hoping you all like it! Not a great build diary unfortunately as I completely forgot to photograph any of the build progress, but I'll do my best to describe it for you all.

So due to a combination of lockdown boredom and a lot of spare MDF board, I decided to build myself a little TARDIS console. I designed it to be roughly half the size of the screen used ones, since it can only really go in the corner, and then came up with a rough design. I started with the panels, gluing them all to the hexagonal base. This was when my slightly dodgy measurements caused a bit of a problem fitting them all together, so I needed about 500 tonnes of filler later on, but eh.

The base it the stand from a mannequin torso. I had no need for the mannequin itself, and didn't have the materials to build a decent plinth for it, so decided to just use that. After that was all secured together, I started on filling in the panel gaps. After about 500 years of filling and sanding, I began on the electrics. Basically I got some cheap fairy lights, extended the wires and replaced the switches with some nice looking toggle switches. I originally planned to just have the battery packs on the underside, but I felt like turning the lights on from one of the panels would be better. I drilled the holes for the lights and then started painting. This was just before Christmas, so the build got put on hold for a bit. 

Once the final coat of black paint was done, I started on the time rotor. I couldn't find a vase the right shape and size, so improvised a bit. I used some chrome silver pipe I had, (I suspect an old curtain rod or something) and built a sort of cage for the central glass parts. This was built from a glass candle holder and a glass garden light typed thing, then sprayed with glass frosting spray to diffuse the lights a bit better.

So once everything was ready to go, I began dry brushing it all silver. I really like the effect of silver brushed over black, so I did that to the entire thing and then went back over the raised areas with a brighter silver to get a nice weathered effect.

Then, using my shiny new 3D printer, I started making lots of little buttons and levers and other bits to decorate the console. I tried to make everything functional, because who doesn't want to stand at their console randomly flicking levers and switches?

Then I wired up all the lights, using small switches for the console lights and a big, dramatic looking switch for the time rotor light. (this was built from a headlamp torch, so the big switch turns it white and a smaller secondary switch makes it flash red)

Then I painted and added all the details, and it was finished! I'll probably keep tinkering with it, but I'm really happy with how it's turned out for now. Hope you all enjoyed that thrilling tale!TARDIS 1.jpg

russellsuthern

Mar 18, 2021, 12:28 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2021, 08:29 am by russellsuthern
Welcome to TB!

Your console looks awesome.
If you are wondering why your pictures are "greyed out", it's because once you have uploaded the pictures you need to use the "insert" button to embed them properly.

Having said that, I'd love to see more pics!!

Regards,

Russell

Conncur1708

Thanks! Glad you like it, and thanks for the tip about the pictures. I have a bit of work to do on it, (a lever got jammed and snapped, so I need to print another one and put it together) but once I have that sorted I'll take some more pics. Got a new phone with a better camera as well so hopefully they'll look better.

Thanks,

Connor.

MacktheTardisGuy

Absolutely lovely! I'm digging the steam-punk, yet still classic feeling design. Very keen on seeing new photos!

Cardinal Hordriss

That's gorgeous. I love the tarnished metal look; I was tempted to try that on my console at one point but I doubt it would have come out as well as this if I had.

I'm always envious of consoles with working electronics because I've never had the courage to wire mine up.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...