Apr 19, 2024, 03:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Byres Road Glasgow Box

Started by lorisarvendu, Jun 08, 2008, 11:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fedora

cheers mark for posting the photo mark saves me doing it because i have to trek all the way from west lothian to Glasgow to take a photo.
But it was just a police box !

nodrog

Jul 06, 2014, 09:05 am #16 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2014, 09:06 am by nodrog
Restored Byres Road/Gt Western Road box. Unfortunately the replacement door is very cheaply done, and one of the original windows - visible above - has been replaced when the door was redone with a very shoddy approximation in wood  :'(

photo.JPG

Looks good from the side though!

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 10.01.jpg

ward westwater

The door was anything but cheaply done costing £1100. It was bespoke made but not to our specifications. The doors are now made by Woodwise in Glasgow and are all made by hand. This door has now been replaced by Woodwise and looks excellent. We use Sillars Blacksmiths in a Glasgow for the metalwork, they also project manage all restorations now.

nodrog

Jul 12, 2014, 09:52 pm #18 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014, 09:55 pm by nodrog
Hello Ward,

The new door does look a fair bit better, but I hope you didn't pay too much for it - the window is still wood, and not metal like the rest. Is it going to be replaced by a proper window (or the one from the older door that was removed)?
It still looks really odd at the moment (this photo was taken just last weekend - July 2014).

photo 2.JPG

If replacement windows aren't available couldn't you swap in one of the original windows from the back of the box that are otherwise never seen?

Best,

Gordon

dcarty

The box is in much better shape than when I was able to see it first hand back in 1995.  My brother and I went on a backpacking tour of the UK for several months and spent a few days in Glasgow.  I was amazed to see a real Police Box but saddened by its condition.  Here are some scans of what it looked like back then:

dcarty

Here are two more photos.  So glad to see that it's been restored

Cheers!

Dave C