Apr 23, 2021, 05:24 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Movellan Gun

Started by elkad, Oct 10, 2016, 08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros Skaro

Nov 01, 2016, 07:35 am #15 Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016, 07:37 am by davros skaro
I thought someone put up a pic from the "Doctor Who Technical Manual" of this, or was that another post?

It's easy to join the page, I did today, that's how I got to see them, found the link on google, but couldn't access the page unless I joined, that's why I put the link up, thought it would be easier. I'll ask him, unless there's someone else who's a member & wants too ask?
Chris.

elkad

Quote from: davros skaro on Nov 01, 2016, 01:01 am
while looking for some good pics for this, I found this web site, with some pics of originals, hope you get some good views of it here, http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151675

also looks like the pink perspex does go through the dome too.

P.S. hope I've put this on the right post, if not let me know.

Chris.


SWEET FIND!  :o

galacticprobe

Nov 02, 2016, 05:47 am #17 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2016, 05:47 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davros skaro on Nov 01, 2016, 07:35 am
I thought someone put up a pic from the "Doctor Who Technical Manual" of this, or was that another post?


You're right, davros skaro. The post (and topic) you're thinking of is here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6660.0. The image from the Tech Manual is in the first post, third image down.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Thanks Dino, I knew I'd seen it somewhere, I have the book too, but it doesn't give much away either.
Chris.

elkad

Nov 18, 2016, 06:16 pm #19 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2016, 06:19 pm by elkad
I don't know if the trigger was a lever momentary switch glued to the inside of the tube or a push button switch in the handle. So I went with the later.

Movelon Gun 07.JPG

I sand down the edges of the wood dowel to fit inside the curved tube.


Davros Skaro

that's where I would have put it for easy access to use, if your holding the handle it's easy to use, anywhere else would be too awkward to use, so well done, it's looking good.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Nov 19, 2016, 06:31 am #21 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
I agree with Chris on this one. That "trigger" is on the inside of the tube after all, and no one will see it. And since there isn't any trigger mechanism specified on those drawings, best to put it where it's going to be the easiest to use. And the best part of it all is that no one can tell you you've got the wrong trigger, or have it in the wrong place. (The only ones who could do that would be the prop-makers that built the original, Peter Logan who designed the original, or someone that's examined a surviving original. Even then they'd probably give you pointers on how to tweak your replica to help you improve it.)

But, until one of those people comes along for you to chat with, I'd say your idea is a great one (and it looks good, too, which is something we won't be able to see once you've installed it into the replica, so thanks for posting that image of the handle and trigger button).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Dec 01, 2016, 05:25 pm #22 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2016, 05:25 pm by elkad
I recently bought a Digital Caliper & I AM GOING MESUREING CRAZY.  ;D I'm measuring this prop at all angels & righting them down to a printable PDF blueprint. (Well, measurements, to my size prop. Image coming soon.)

Caliper.JPG

elkad

Dec 22, 2016, 07:58 pm #23 Last Edit: Dec 22, 2016, 08:00 pm by elkad
I recently bought some 5cm clear craft Christmas ornaments to make more TCE compressors & use one for the emitter ball for my Movellan Gun. BUT, as soon as I set them down, my FATHER decides to clean the aria with my spheres. And His Idea Of Cleaning Is A Bulldozer To a Junk Pile. Now my spheres are lost along with my fission gun handle.  >:(

I just bought 5 more from E-bay, & once they arrive, their going straight into my project box, away from Idle Hands.

$(KGrHqN,!rEFBkcUmdhTBQplp8yGfw~~60_35.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 26, 2016, 07:37 pm #24 Last Edit: Dec 26, 2016, 07:37 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: elkad on Dec 22, 2016, 07:58 pm
And His Idea Of Cleaning Is A Bulldozer To a Junk Pile.


Whoa. Sorry to hear about that mishap, elkad. It sounds like your dad and my mum have a lot in common. My mum's philosophy: if it's been sitting in one place for more than five minutes, then dust it off; if it's still sitting there about 10 minutes after it's been dusted off, then no one is using it so it gets tossed into the bin. (I'd lost many projects, toys, models, etc. to that "bulldozer" - more like Killdozer - methodology when I was growing up.)

Here's to hoping that never happens to you again!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Once I get enough money, I'm going to by myself a small barn to put my projects & tools, & hang a sign saying "BEWERE OF DALEK, TRESPASSERS WILL BE EXTERMINATED"  ;D

elkad

Jan 28, 2017, 04:17 pm #26 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 04:21 pm by elkad
I just got my spheres in the mail. (pics coming soon)

I forgot to ask, the acrylic rod in the middle of the gun, any idea what size it is?

Image From Here
http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151675

044_zpsa0261257.jpg

davidnagel

Is that rod screen accurate? Reading through that thread, it suggests those images are actually someone's replicas.

I see the rod in the Peter Logan sketch there, but is it evident on the TV versions?
Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2017, 07:40 am #28 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 07:42 am by galacticprobe
Looking at the first image in this reference thread (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6660.0) it looks like there is indeed a rod down the center of that emitter. The rod is also shown in the drawing in the Doctor Who Technical Manual (a scan of it is also in that thread), and as we've seen, aside from a mislabeling of the size units for the sonic screwdriver and the missing console underside fins, the Manual has been proven to be pretty accurate with everything else, as discussed in another thread. (I can't locate that thread, so if someone remembers where it is, please post a link to it here?) In fact if you replace the CM with MM for the sonic screwdriver measurements, they're spot on when compared to the CO 4th Doctor sonic which is supposed to be accurate to the actual prop when it comes to measurements.

So that makes two sources showing a rod in there: the screen grab image, and the Technical Manual drawing. There are more reference images in one of the Build Diaries, and I'm hunting for it so I can link to it. I could use some help with that since I can't remember who was working on it, so if someone knows where that thread is as well, please post its link here?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Jan 29, 2017, 06:23 pm #29 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 06:37 pm by elkad
Using a laser level I marked out the fin lines with a big dirmeled X. And I moved the handle bolts up a little.
DSCI0001.JPGDSCI0003.JPG

First, cutting off the hanging rings to the sphere, I put the half's under the drill press & slowly lowered the drill, passing it side to side to find the top of it, then drilled the center hole.
DSCI0004.JPGDSCI0005.JPGDSCI0006.JPG

I sand both half's & spray paint the bottom half reflective silver inside & out.
DSCI0008.JPGDSCI0011.JPG

Going threw my wood rods, I think 5/16 acrylic rod will work.

DSCI0013.JPGDSCI0016.JPG


Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 29, 2017, 07:40 am
Looking at the first image in this reference thread (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6660.0) it looks like there is indeed a rod down the center of that emitter. The rod is also shown in the drawing in the Doctor Who Technical Manual (a scan of it is also in that thread), and as we've seen, aside from a mislabeling of the size units for the sonic screwdriver and the missing console underside fins, the Manual has been proven to be pretty accurate with everything else, as discussed in another thread. (I can't locate that thread, so if someone remembers where it is, please post a link to it here?) In fact if you replace the CM with MM for the sonic screwdriver measurements, they're spot on when compared to the CO 4th Doctor sonic which is supposed to be accurate to the actual prop when it comes to measurements.

So that makes two sources showing a rod in there: the screen grab image, and the Technical Manual drawing. There are more reference images in one of the Build Diaries, and I'm hunting for it so I can link to it. I could use some help with that since I can't remember who was working on it, so if someone knows where that thread is as well, please post its link here?

Dino.