Mar 28, 2024, 08:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Roundel Combination Bulletin/Peg- board

Started by The Lodger, May 16, 2013, 04:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lodger

May 16, 2013, 04:20 am Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:31 am by thelodger
Fans of the classic series may recall that some TARDIS roundels were more than simple decoration, and concealed actual tools. On my panel, the tools are right out there, on hooks. I used cork for the interstitial area between the roundels, so small notes or pins could be tacked-on.

Finished_Panel.jpg

Start to finish, the project involved about a day of work with tools that I already had lying around the house.

First, I measured my available wall area and had a beige pegboard cut to that size at the hardware store. I also picked up two pine 2 by 1's of corresponding width, wood glue, pegboard hooks, drywall screws, and deck screws.

I bought a cork roll at a craft store, and ordered some 10-inch (25.4 cm) compostable wheat straw plates from World Centric (http://worldcentric.org/biocompostables/plates/plant-fiber), product code PLRT-SC-U10-P.

I arranged plates over the pegboard in a staggered pattern, using a ruler.

Plated.jpg

I cut out the centers of those plates with scissors, and then traced circles through them onto the cork. Then I traced slightly larger circles around those circles with a compass.

Compass.jpg

I had to cut some of the plate rings to be flush with the pegboard's edges, zero-cabinet-style.

Then, I cut holes into the cork with the scissors, taking care not to crack the interstitial cork.

Cutout.jpg

Since I planned to use the plate rings for trim, the perimeters of the cork holes didn't need to be perfectly smooth.

Next, I attached the cork to the peg board using wood glue, and wiped up the excess with a felt rag. In a pinch, ordinary glue would probably work. Hot glue gun glue will not.

I turned the board over, weighted it down, and left it to dry overnight.

Weighted.jpg

The next day, I spread some of the wood glue on the inner plate rings, and inserted them into the cork holes.

Glue.jpg

I also weighted those down, but with very light weights to avoid damaging them.

Lightly_Weighted.jpg Assembled.jpg
Ready.jpg

While the plate rings dried, I installed a frame for the pegboard into my wall from the 2 by 1's and the drywall screws. I accomplished this using a stud finder and a drill. I'm not going to go into the details, but there are lots of good tutorials on the Web.

Frame.jpg

Then, I drilled shallow holes into the frame for my pegboard. Most of mine lined up with actual pegboard holes. Next, I screwed the pegboard into the frames holes with deck screws.

Screwed.jpg

Finally, I added pegboard hooks.

Closeup.jpg

The wood-styling matches my desk. If you have a plastic desk, you might try a white peg board and bleached white paper plates for a more conventional TARDIS interior look.

Special thanks to Liz, who put me on the right track again after I floundered on roundel sourcing.

I don't think it's necessary, but for the record I freely give over this design for non-commercial use. I encourage builders with more time and resources to do up an entire room!

galacticprobe

May 16, 2013, 04:33 am #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:33 am by galacticprobe
Now that's a novel idea! I may use this when (and if) we ever get around to finishing the wash/utility room.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

Love it! I'd thought about making some roundel-decorated cabinets for the garage, but this looks so much more practical. :)

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Now that's inventive!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

The Lodger

May 18, 2013, 06:47 pm #5 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:48 pm by The Lodger
Thanks, everybody! I envy your TARDISes :)

-Dave

The Lodger

Ten-year anniversary!

TARDIS Roundel Combo Peg Bulletin Board-small.jpeg

This is the project that really got me into crafting, so I look back on it fondly.

I hope to attempt a console some day...

russellsuthern