Apr 18, 2024, 10:23 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Definitive Pertwee/Baker Time Rotor Plans

Started by karsthotep, May 14, 2012, 05:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Can't wait for The Definitive Davison/C Baker/McCoy Time Rotor Plans  ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

karsthotep

Quote from: lespaceplie on May 17, 2012, 11:55 pm
It is addressed in my diagram. The only part that might be iffy is center triangle post. That might be a little smaller than 2" - maybe 1.75" as has been suggested. I'll produce another view but not until next week.

DOH..next week????man you mean TB is not the only thing you have going on ;).  Sounds good on the measurements.  one thing I am not sure on is if there was an Acrylic Triangle at the bottom of the tubes as well as the top.  The Top is obvious, but the bottom no.  I would think that perhaps there is one for stability of the tubes.  Thoughts anyone?

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

lespaceplie

Finding the ideal Pertwee photo should reveal a lower triangle if there is one. I can't imagine a triangular hole cut in the mirrored plinth for that, though the bottom of the central triangular tube could simply be glued.

karsthotep

May 18, 2012, 04:53 pm #33 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:54 pm by karsthotep
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on May 18, 2012, 12:37 am
Can't wait for The Definitive Davison/C Baker/McCoy Time Rotor Plans  ;D

Ahh, the good old flashing mushroom of death,  yes that is a good one.  I think we should engage the help of Jarrod for that one, and Chris for the Hartnell one as they have both completed and/or nearly completed the associated rotor builds.  My intent though is to create a thread for each of those once this one is complete.  

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

I knocked this up using the plans on this page, 'scuse the render quality - I still need to tweak that but I think the measurements are looking good :)

2012-05-18 Rotor.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

May 18, 2012, 06:44 pm #35 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:56 pm by karsthotep
Awesome, that looks great based on what we have done here.  Very pleased.  I do have one outstanding question as we are well on the road to finalizing this, and it is less measurement related and more lighting related..ok its all lighting related.  

We know that it is a two tube incandescent bulb, in fact jarrod found and used the exact lighting in his build.  In my Crap-Rotor, I had to use and 18" fllourescent work lights guts with black tape to give it the two tube look.  From a distance it worked ok, up close..well not so much.  I would like to know

1) What are those lights called
2) Where can you get them
3) will they work on a US based power system, IE 110volt?  Jarrod is in Australia and they are running on 240v. There is a converter that can be used, but my question is still What are these lights and where can they be obtained.  

Karst

celation

May 19, 2012, 09:20 am #36 Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:38 am by celation
They look like Linolite strip lights or picture lights, as used in the Hartnell column. They come in two lengths - 284mm and 221mm; two "colours" - opal (white) and clear; and two wattages - 30W and 60W.

linolite.jpg

Three of the opal were used in the original Hartnell column. These were then changed to two clear ones late in the Hartnell era, then the clear bulbs were covered with green gels in the Troughton era - kind of a precursor to the Pertwee column I suppose.

Apparently the 60W are supposed to be being outlawed in the UK and Europe, with the 30W to follow shortly - all in the crackdown on incandescent light bulbs. Time to stock up!

As to where you can get them? The UK. Pretty much everywhere has them - even Amazon.
The end connectors are known as s15, apparently - though they are a bit trickier to find.

On a side note - for the Pertwee column there was mention of the black rectangles being reused from the Hartnell column. This might have been possible. I count fifteen in the Pertwee - there were sixteen in the Hartnell. However, they do seem to be a different shape - the Hartnell ones were about 1" x 3.25". Well - that's my estimate, anyway. The Pertwee ones seem in the ratio 1x2. They could easily have been cut down, I guess.

Rassilons Rod

Do you mean this fella? :)

Linolite at Amazon

(I assume Chris has spotted this, but for other readers... note the appalling "lite" spelling... I made the mistake of spelling the word correctly on Amazon and finding nothing ;))
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Well I found a nice 21cm lamp on google and have improved my model. Cheers for that info, Chris :)
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

I am bumping this thread as it would benefit having a side view and top down view diagram developed from what we have put together here.   

galacticprobe

Jun 02, 2012, 05:28 am #40 Last Edit: Jun 02, 2012, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
There is a top view on Page 2, nicely done by lespaceplie. I think he was working on the side view as well. And while it's in my head (bad news, I know) we might need two side views: one with a single cylinder facing us, and one with two cylinders and the spacer between them facing us. That way we would have all measurements from all angles.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

karsthotep

good Call there Dino I didn't even think about that. 3 views..good one.

Karsten

galacticprobe

Jun 03, 2012, 05:52 am #42 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2012, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Thanks, Karst. I do try to help where (and when) I can.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

Jul 22, 2013, 07:44 pm #43 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2013, 07:45 pm by lespaceplie
Hardly definitive, but I've been productive in revising plans lately. Here's a partly deconstructed view of how things shaped up beginning in S12 (minus some black tape). I'm assisting regional builders in making a replica so we'll have a good case study before long.

rotor_sorting.jpg

karsthotep

How are the regional rotor builds going?  I haven't been on in some time but am antsy for a project and the rotor might be a good one.  How is everyone? Miss me at all? no?!!! ok fine :P

Karsten