Apr 19, 2024, 06:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 20 5 Doctors console plans

Started by Scarfwearer, Aug 22, 2009, 11:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 19, 2016, 12:46 am
Tony you may use any info or pictures from my ramblings toward this project. I want to Advance the reaches of TARDIS Building Science. So use what you like from me.  ;)
Nate

Thank you!

Quote from: lespaceplie on Sep 08, 2016, 08:06 pm
I'm not exactly bowing out, but my past work (accurate and less so) was only able to get us so far on any of the props. I'm hoping Tony will take over this one after I make the basic corrections. I haven't shared the measurements of all the panel tiers, but I'm pretty sure they're close thanks to suspiciously convenient numbers. I have some tweaks to the rotor as well.

Once Lespaceplie has done his 'tweaks', and now Nate has given his permission, it should be 'full steam ahead'. How does 2017 sound?!

T

galacticprobe

Oct 20, 2016, 06:15 am #76 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 06:15 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 19, 2016, 11:05 am
How does 2017 sound?!

Close... very close. (You like to work yourself hard, don't you, Tony? ;)) Please don't overdo it and burn yourself out. We can wait for you to get everything done to your liking. We'll be here, so don't push yourself too much. (I know 2017 is a whole year long so you can spread things out and not push yourself too hard, but I still wanted to mention that because your work makes people eager to see the results, and I would hate to see pressure put on you to get your work done faster.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Oct 20, 2016, 02:07 pm #77 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 03:00 pm by Tony Farrell
I enjoy it and ferreting around is something I've been told I'm good at..... (In my 'real world', that is  - in essence - all auditors do; they ferret around and 'unearth' what's really going on rather than what's supposed to be going on!)

Making new discoveries (at least new to me) has its own reward and I'm also glad that people such as Nathan and Lespaceplie don't take offence when (sometimes) I reach a different conclusion to the one they've reached  i.e., a  very slightly wider Mike Kelt console than Lespaceplie has suggested or a different chronology (as with the TY-J Tardis exteriors) than 'received wisdom' would have us believe.

On which subject, since writing my TY-J history, I've had it on impeccable authority that 1983 is indeed the correct date for the building of the second TY-J Tardis. Unfortunately, the person is prevented from publicly confirming this due to their contractual obligations. It would be nice to get that confirmation into the 'public domain' but I have to respect the person's wishes.

It's nice too when people - such as Deck 5 - take the trouble to revise their phone panel dimensions/graphics spacings based on my 'research' into the correct dimensions of the Brachacki Tardis exterior. (Now, if I could just persuade Marc to get rid of the 'false' 1986 'split' in the forum's TY-J reference section.... Hint!  ;) )

I'm within a 'stone's throw' of being ready to post a short(ish) history of the Newbery Tardis and - thanks to Clayton Hickman - this will show the existence of an additional phone panel that so far hasn't been mentioned anywhere else (more revisions for you Deck 5 - sorry  :) ) and will also show structural alterations to the prop which haven't been mentioned before.

So, knowledge doesn't stand still. And, in my own small way, if I can advance that knowledge, then I'm happy to do so. Roll on 2017 (oh, and Dino, by 2017, I meant the year not the first of January)!

Tony - the ferret - Farrell  ;D

ionsith

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 18, 2016, 07:08 pm
Newbery Tardis exterior - coming soon. Then the Three Doctors Tardis interior and - depending on how Lespaceplie and Nathan want to play it - the Five Doctors interior!

T

Did I just see the words Newbery TARDIS exterior? More lovely plans!! :D But does that mean the plans on the forum aren't accurate? Just as I finished my Logopolis box a few weeks back? Oh well, here we go again.. ;)

tony farrell

Oct 20, 2016, 03:05 pm #79 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 03:06 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: ionsith on Oct 20, 2016, 02:35 pm
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 18, 2016, 07:08 pm
Newbery Tardis exterior - coming soon. Then the Three Doctors Tardis interior and - depending on how Lespaceplie and Nathan want to play it - the Five Doctors interior!

T

Did I just see the words Newbery TARDIS exterior? More lovely plans!! :D But does that mean the plans on the forum aren't accurate? Just as I finished my Logopolis box a few weeks back? Oh well, here we go again.. ;)

Sorry Ian - I do believe that the current plans for the Newbery Tardis here on TB are inaccurate. Looks like you're not going to be able to escape from me (cue maniacal laughter and the twirling of moustaches)!

T

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 20, 2016, 02:07 pm
I'm also glad that people such as Nathan and Lespaceplie don't take offense when (sometimes) I reach a different conclusion to the one they've reached  i.e., a  very slightly wider Mike Kelt console than Lespaceplie has suggested or a different chronology (as with the TY-J Tardis exteriors) than 'received wisdom' would have us believe.

I can imagine we are scientists in the field of Doctor Who props working together to shape the future and the past respectively. Let this be a continuum of everybody trying to make it work out for the best. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But someone has taken the time to present a different perspective because we are not looking at the problem in the same way.

I mean I will never understand why some one has taken the time to conciser Jo Grant walked in an anticlockwise direction around the console to find panel 3 has decided the direction that all future discussion, but It's ok, I can live with it. All I'd get for that argument would be pain.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Oct 20, 2016, 08:09 pm #81 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016, 08:09 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 20, 2016, 02:07 pm
(oh, and Dino, by 2017, I meant the year not the first of January)!

Ah... sorry about that, Tony; it's my military mind still working there. When we were told something would be happening - say - in 2010, or in April (or pick a month or year), that something usually went into effect on the first day of said month or year. (It's just one of those things that's hard to shake after living it for so long. :))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

for shame and there's me thinking you'd deliver a nice Five Doctors present for Xmas, Tony. :P
Regards
David

tony farrell

Oh I will David - I've just not said which Xmas! (Besides judging by your builds here and on Twitter, you don't need me anyway!)

T

davidnagel

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 20, 2016, 11:43 pm
(Besides judging by your builds here and on Twitter, you don't need me anyway!)

T

Not yet... :*
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2016, 04:12 pm #85 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2016, 04:13 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 20, 2016, 11:43 pm
Oh I will... - I've just not said which Xmas!

Oh, you are wicked, Tony! ;D ;D ;D (Your avatar really suits you. ;)) In fact, even though I know what your voice sounds like, when I read posts of yours like this one, I can't help but hear Roger Del Gado's voice. :D

Dino.

lespaceplie

Got to blow the dust off this one. Accounting for the panel gap pretty much solves everything! The resolution of the diagram I posted doesn't reveal that the belt isn't included in the measurement. I was pretty much ignoring the gaps, and I imagine Kelt did as well. The frame was probably designed so that things didn't have to fit together so perfectly to work, though we know this prop had a reputation for inflexible assembly.

The deviation from the Sharp console that I still support is the crown. I stick by those dims solely because of the slots for the red lighting occurring at regular intervals (15 mm slots, 20 mm divisions).

Also, don't we have some better rotor photos by now? Someone should go to The Experience while there's still time and try to make sense of it. I practically went blind getting as far as I did with it, but there are still some unknowns.

davidnagel

I think we were all taking your attempt at drawing them as gospel lespaceplie!

I'm pretty sure, Kingpin did some illustrator drawings of the things to but can't be sure. I can guarantee Dino will pop in shortly to confirm, he's quite good at remembering things even if he doubts it!
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2016, 07:38 am #88 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 07:41 am by galacticprobe
Oh, thanks for throwing me under the bus, David! ;) ;D I'm still searching, but I haven't found any drawings from Kingpin yet. However, there are some really great reference images of the console in here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=56.0. There are some of console panels (which have the collar part attached - all one piece) at the DWE in the sub-board http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2635.0.

Most of the DWE photos are via Photobucket links thanks to peterdalek, but the one posted in that thread has a great, almost head-on photo of that panel (cropped, below, to focus on the collar).

FiveDoctorConsole-Collar.jpg

I'll keep searching for Kingpin's drawing (if there is one). I may send him a PM to see if he knows where it is, or ask him if he could post it again here.

I hope the above image helps with the red slots and spacing.

Dino.

typeforte

Does anyone know if we're inching closer to establishing comprehensive (and near-as-damn-it 'bang-on') dims for the Kelt Console? 

I'm holding off pursuing a project using available data (and fudging the rest) for fear that as soon as I'm half way through (or worse still, as soon as I'm finished) more accurate dims are published.

Many thanks,
TF.