Apr 19, 2024, 07:43 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

It's About Time I Made a Box

Started by tinkering_timelord, Mar 21, 2019, 12:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkering_timelord

Mar 21, 2019, 12:44 am Last Edit: Mar 21, 2019, 12:47 am by tinkering_timelord
Here we go. I've been wanting to build a full box for a very long time and at last I'm ready to begin. The first step in building a TARDIS is deciding which version to build. I have considered building the Brachacki original from 1963, the Ed Thomas box from 2005 and even the Newbery from season 16, but after a lot of thought I decided to build the latest version of the box as I feel it combines some of my favorite elements from a bunch of different eras. I started with some dimensions posted by Lespaceplie in JW TARDIS Plans Discussion (thank you!!) and knocked together a model in SketchUp.
profile.pngtop.png2849128469128649216492.png

I fiddled around with some of the dimensions and compared it to reference photos until it looked right (to my eyes at least). Next, I started shopping for the lamp, windows, handles and lock. The lamp was listed as "Hampton Nautical Antique Copper Anchor Oil Lantern, 15", Copper". It required some modification in order to match the JW lamp. I started by removing the top stack and some loops off the copper housing. It took me a little while to figure out the best way to remove the extra pieces without damaging the lamp too much. In the end I used a large flathead screwdriver to pry the loops out and (carefully) bashed them off with a hammer! The top stack was trimmed down using some metal cutters until it looked right. I used bondo to patch up the holes and sanded everything down before priming and painting.

IMG_4921.JPGIMG_4925.JPGIMG_4927.JPGIMG_7659.JPGIMG_7665.JPGIMG_7666.JPGIMG_7667.JPGIMG_7669.JPGIMG_7671.JPG

I'm planning on making the windows next, it just depends on the weather. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon!

russellsuthern

Good luck with your build.

I look forward to seeing your future progress.

Regards,

Russell

Shwalamazula

Are you making your light just on/off or will you be installing a timing circuit to make it pulse?

tinkering_timelord

At the moment I'm just planning a simple on/off switch inside the box. I was thinking about whether or not to have the LEDs be dim-able or flash, I've just got to do more research before I decide.

wayney1975

It's great to see the modifications you've made on your lamp. My lamp has just arrived, now all i need to do is a little work like yours...
What did you use to fill in the holes? And how did you cut down the top?
IMG_3159.JPG

tinkering_timelord

The first thing I did was back all of the holes by taping them from the inside with duct tape. I used Bondo 801 Professional Glazing and Spot Putty, which I ordered from amazon, to fill the holes. Just follow the directions on the packaging, you want to apply a bit more than you need and then sand it down smooth once it's dried. I borrowed some tin snips from my dad's shop to cut the top cap down to size. There are small rivets, or welds, holding the top cap onto the lamp, you'll want to break these first to get the cap off. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry mine off, but there may be a better way. I had to do a significant amount of careful hammering to bend the copper back into shape. Best of luck!

tinkering_timelord

So it's been about six months since my last update, (oops) but at last I've made some progress! I stopped by home depot on my way home from work and found some 1/4" x 1/2" x 4' wooden beams that are the perfect size for the Police Box window frames. They only had enough to make 4 and a half window frames, so I'll have to go back another day. I also got around to cutting the 6' x 2' twin wall polycarbonate sheet I ordered six months ago. I was worried about cutting the plastic in the cold and was waiting for it to warm up, thankfully it cut easily, with no cracking which was a great relief to me. I even have two extras.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_8803.JPG
IMG_8804.JPG
IMG_8805.JPG
IMG_8802.JPG

With any luck I'll post an update in a week or so, happy building!

Volpone

A TARDIS is no mean undertaking.  I was fortunate to have a pickup and a bank balance that let me get everything at once (well, everything I *thought* I needed.  There were plenty of trips back for stuff) and by the time I was about 3/4 of the way through my list and still adding things to the increasingly encumbered cart I started doubting myself and my sanity.  As they were ringing everything up I very nearly chickened out but didn't want to be "that" person, so I bit my lip and swiped the card.  Doing it in smaller chunks could keep you motivated and help with some of the "sticker shock" of what a build winds up costing. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

klamath

Sep 06, 2019, 03:22 am #8 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 04:49 am by klamath
I've been keenly awaiting someone to try a Jones Tardis. Looking forward the next update!

tinkering_timelord

Today I made a jig for the window, and glued all the pieces together.
IMG_8806.JPG

My main concern is that when the glue dries (the instructions suggest a 24 hour curing time) it will dry to the jig as well and I won't be able to remove the frames. Has anyone else had trouble with this before? I've looked through a lot of posts but haven't seen a definitive answer.

kutan66

The blue roll stuff should help stop it sticking.

I dont know what glue you are using, but '24 hour curing time' is probably until it reaches its maximum hardness.

The wood could be stuck together sufficiently after 30 mins or an hour to remove from the jig?   Depending on temperature.

Davros Skaro

To stop it sticking to your jig, try putting some grease-proof/waxed/news paper down first, the glue may stick to this, but would be easy to remove from jig & then you only have to peel/sand it off you frames after.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
Chris.

tinkering_timelord

Thanks for the advice! I tried removing the frame after about an hour and it seems to be holding together just fine. I had to use a flat-head screwdriver to pry the frame apart from the jig, so I'll definitely be using more paper towels in the future. I couldn't resist adding a bit of paint and seeing how it looks...
IMG_8808.JPG

Obviously I'll have to do a better job sanding the glue down to get a nice even finish, but so far I'm pleased with the results!

russellsuthern

Looks great.
Personally, I wouldn't bother sanding it down to a perfect finish... I always think TARDISes look better with a few "real world" imperfections.

I think the silver frames look really nice!

Regards,

Russell

Volpone

Concur.  I can't speak to the screen accuracy, but to me it looks like the welds joining the "metal" together. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.