May 19, 2024, 02:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

irwin's tardis

Started by irwin, Sep 18, 2011, 12:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

The LED's are wonderful, but the thing I got most from those photos is the detail work on your corner posts. If I ever do another build I was thinking of using 2x4s on the corners (2 for each corner) but was worried that the 1/4 round would be too recessed. It actually looks like a 1/4 round in a 2x4 would be about perfect.  I still wouldn't be screen accurate, but I think this would be lighter, cheaper, and more structurally sound than the hulking 4x4s I used.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

pod

What an astonishingly high quality build! I understand your doubts about the lantern, but if you just sink it into the roof so it's flush, it will look fantastic. Again, one of the more amazing builds on here. And you know I only climb down off my pious high horse to pass my glorious judgment when things are truly exceptional.  ;D

slidin_sidewayz

Well, it must be said that this is an impressive build. I like the way you've achieved the correct "made of concrete" look, whereas I went for the not-so-accurate made of wood look. Well done, mate! ;-)

Rassilons Rod

This is a really great build! So nicely put together, great workmanship!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

action_mat

Congratulations on a stunning build.  It's all good, but I was particularly impressed with the windows.    
My lock came with the same modern style keys as yours.  A trip to the key cutters for a couple of old style copies are well worth it.

Rassilons Rod

As I said I think this is a really great build. But one thing that stands out to me on looking again is that door sign. I just love seeing these old items being brought back to life like this. :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

One thing on your lantern, if I may:  The big problem you have is that it is too high.  I don't know how weatherproof your box needs to be, but if you can put a hole in the roof and put everything up to the base of the glass down in the roof, I think you'll be a lot happier with the way it looks.  Yeah, you still probably won't be happy until you find yourself a Fresnel lens, but it's a start. :)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

DoctorWho8

Congrats!  You made it in the paper!  We need to put this in a frame. http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/time-space-and-timber-irwin-builds-a-tardis/2450412.aspx  And you were also on DoctorWhoNews.net.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

irwin

My giddy aunt. It's a shame the pic they used was from before I installed the phone & light box signs. I'm also kicking myself that I didn't have the foresight to get the TARDIS down to Melbourne with me to see the Dr Who Symphonic Spectacular. Lots of dressups but not a TARDIS in sight.

Back to work - I spent last class soldering & wiring, so no new pics yet.

irwin

The wiring is turning out to be more challenging than I had hoped. Suffice to say my high school electronics doesn't quite get me 100% of the way. Almost but not quite entirely... Full tale of woe on my blog http://www.lakegnotuk.com.au/

Anyway, when it does light up and it does work, the LEDs are quite bright. The pics here are in the full midday sun. Sadly right now I have no night time access for the full effect, but as soon as I do I'll show some pics.

I'm also in two minds as to whether or not to apply the St John's logo. galacticprobe was most helpful in sourcing pics for me from the original pilot. We'll see how my brainspace goes.IMG_0741 (Large).JPGIMG_0742 (Large).jpgIMG_0743 (Large).JPGIMG_0744 (Large).JPGIMG_0745 (Large).JPGIMG_0746 (Large).JPG

warmcanofcoke

Wow. Nice Build! Looks like you had a lot of fun. An excelent Tardis, I like the led strips around the windows.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

mulla

Love this Build!  Well Done Irwin!

If you need a hand getting on to the top of one of the 12 Apostles for a photo shoot just let me know, (I reckon you'd make the SBS news with that) 8)

Quick Question, Where did you get your window glass?  I really want to use glass as opposed to plastic windows, but can't find anyone in Sydney that even comes close!

irwin

Howdy mulla. hmm. tardis by chopper. There's a thought...

Glass-wise, I went to a local glazier when I was in Ascot Vale (Essendon Glass). Any glazier should be able to do it. I gave him the size specs according to the test frame I made, and then selected the contrasting patterns to make the "T" pattern. I used fairly inexpensive 3mm stuff that you see commonly in bathrooms. After being satisfied with the test frame, I made up the production set, remeasured and reordered. Finally, I had to do a little chiseling to the frames to make the panes fit (I had only given myself 1-2mm leeway which is fairly tight!).

Check your local newspaper or yellow pages for a local glazier. Total cost for 42x bubbly and 16x crystally panes was about $70 all up. Cheap!

geminitimelord

Well done, awesome build. On the subject of the St John Badge I would vote YES... especially with the wonderful white windows.

galacticprobe

Feb 28, 2012, 07:57 am #89 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012, 08:00 am by galacticprobe
I second the vote on the St. John Logo. If this is the pilot version of the TARDIS, and looking as beautiful as she is, then she definitely deserves the full monty, the whole ball of wax, the whole nine yards, the whole shebang! (Sorry: my inner 6th Doctor showing there. ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"