May 18, 2024, 06:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Whomobile Whereabouts?

Started by warped in storage, Jan 18, 2014, 01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thascalos

Jan 22, 2014, 03:55 am #15 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2014, 08:06 am by rassilonsrod
I wish CO would release Bessie and The Whomobile for the 5" range of figures. But doubt they ever will sadly.. that be like trying to get them to actually release a proper Classic Era Tardis Plaset with sound and lights and moving time rotor.  ::)
"I only need two things. Your submission and your obedience to MY WILL!"

kert gantry

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jan 21, 2014, 08:40 pm

Having said that, if CO brought out a model, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely design, but for me it just didn't go with Pertwee's elegent old-school frills and velvet Doctor. 

Somewhere I have pics of a Dapol scale Whomobile with Sylv and Ace figures sitting in it.  I'll try and dig them out.  Not sure if this was a fan-build or a projected toy that never made it to the shops.  From memory, it looked a bit more accurate than most of the Dapol stuff.

Never had a problem with the car itself.  I got heavily into Who during the middle T Baker years so my first sight of this was in the first DW Monster Book.  As it was already part of the series' history, it didn't seem too jarring.  Plus, I've always had a soft spot for 70s design - I even liked the Time Monster control room!

markofrani

A couple more pics of the Whomobile...
whom1.jpg
whom2.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: kert gantry on Jan 28, 2014, 04:03 pm

Somewhere I have pics of a Dapol scale Whomobile with Sylv and Ace figures sitting in it.  I'll try and dig them out.  Not sure if this was a fan-build or a projected toy that never made it to the shops.  From memory, it looked a bit more accurate than most of the Dapol stuff.

I used to have one of these ads but I have since parted ways with it.

Dapol-WhoMobile-Prototype-1991_zpsf354827b.jpg
more of this ad can be seen here: http://doctorwhotoys.net/dapol.htm
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

thascalos

I seen that pic of the Dapol one.. Sadly it actually never went into production. Guess there could be someone lucky out there who owns the one that was made for the pic. It be worth a mint today.

kert gantry

Jan 29, 2014, 05:06 pm #20 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2014, 05:10 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 28, 2014, 07:07 pm

I used to have one of these ads but I have since parted ways with it.

Yes, that's it. Never collected the Dapol toys but I'd have happily forked out for this one.

And Markofrani, those pics are great. Bad taste or no, I love that car.

galacticprobe

Jan 29, 2014, 05:53 pm #21 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2014, 05:54 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: thascalos on Jan 22, 2014, 03:55 am
I wish CO would release Bessie and The Whomobile for the 5" range of figures.

Try politely requesting them to add both to their 'Doctor Who' line (https://www.character-online.com/contact-us/). It's worked to get the Classic figures released, as well as the Classic Series 3rd, 4th, and 6th Doctor sonics. And spread the word; the more people that use this 'Contact' form, the more CO will realise that there is a demand for Bessie and the Whomobile. It couldn't hurt. (You'll never get it if you never ask for it, and they'll never make it if no one lets them know they want it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rocket

I tried to get them to make the Master's TCE, and got a polite no chance reply. :(
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

galacticprobe

Jan 30, 2014, 11:34 pm #23 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2014, 11:35 pm by galacticprobe
I wonder how many people (other than you, rocket, and me) asked CO for the TCE.

Here's the response I received from CO when I used that contact link and asked about possibly seeing a Bessie or Whomobile:

"I write in response to your recent e mail requesting information on our Dr Who
Classic range of products.

I can confirm that we have no current plans to introduce a Bessie and Whomobile
into this range.

Any classic range products are to be released via Forbidden Planet Stores and
any new updates will be available on their website.

I hope the above fully answers your query and many thanks for your interest in
our products.

Regards
"

I removed the name of the person that responded, but unless we get the word out and they get a lot of requests for Bessie and the Whomobile, I think it they will befall the same fate as the TCE. Or, maybe we should request this through Forbidden Planet? Either way, it looks like either FB or CO will have to be bombarded with requests before they will even consider releasing one (or both?) of these vehicles.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

thascalos

Feb 01, 2014, 09:03 am #24 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2014, 06:21 am by thascalos
CO don't care much for being emailed as well as ForbiddenPlanet. I had ago at them how they don't give a damn about fans outside of the UK seeing that all the classic figures are only produced for UK Residents. I've been lucky to get some the classic but not all them, had to pay rip off merchants on Ebay for some and I been lucky I found someone in Australia that is able to get some them at times.

galacticprobe

Feb 02, 2014, 06:36 am #25 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2014, 06:38 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: thascalos on Feb 01, 2014, 09:03 am
CO don't care much for being emailed as well as ForbiddenPlanet.

I never e-mailed CO directly - just to make sure the record is straight. I used their Contact Us link - the one they ask people to use to comment on their products and ask them general questions about their products and availability. So obviously CO does care and wants to hear from their customers, but it seems like unless they get loaded with requests for certain items, they have "selective hearing".

I had ago at them how they don't give a damn about fans outside of the UK seeing that all the classic figures are only produced for UK Residents.

If you're talking Forbidden Planet, I agree. I've actually stopped visiting their web site because I got fed up with their unwillingness to ship to the US.

I've been lucky to get some the classic but not all them, had to pay rip off merchants on Ebay for some and I been lucky I found someone in Australia that is able to get some them at times.

Check around eBay a bit more. Sometimes you can find sellers - in the UK - that are very reasonable with prices and shipping. With the exception of the River Song sonic that my son bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago, all of my sonic screwdrivers I've had to get from eBay (and from a seller in Cardiff, no less) because they were - and in some cases still are - very hard to find on our side of the pond.

It's good that you've got someone Down Under to help you out, though. And don't be afraid to ask for help with difficult shipping situations here. Someone will usually PM you with an offer to help out. Many of our US members have done just that (myself included), and many of our UK members were more than willing to help out. That's what we're here for: to help each other whenever we can.

Dino.

warped in storage

Well, all that talk about Forbidden Planet shipping in one side or another of the "Pond", how about me? I live in the middle of the Pond. ;D
I'm called Stormaggeddon, Dark Lord of all... Or you can call me Warped in Storage.

galacticprobe

Feb 06, 2014, 04:42 am #27 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2014, 04:42 am by galacticprobe
Wow... that is a small "rock" you live on! Must be rather peaceful there. (Maybe when I retire - from everything - I'll do it there. :))

Dino.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 30, 2014, 11:34 pm
I wonder how many people (other than you, rocket, and me) asked CO for the TCE.

Here's the response I received from CO when I used that contact link and asked about possibly seeing a Bessie or Whomobile:

"I write in response to your recent e mail requesting information on our Dr Who
Classic range of products.

I can confirm that we have no current plans to introduce a Bessie and Whomobile
into this range.

There is also the issue of the CO characters being unable to sit down in either a Bessie or a Whomobile.  Without that playability it pretty much rules out anyone other than pure collectors.

galacticprobe

Feb 07, 2014, 04:58 pm #29 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014, 04:58 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Feb 07, 2014, 01:46 pm
There is also the issue of the CO characters being unable to sit down in either a Bessie or a Whomobile.  Without that playability it pretty much rules out anyone other than pure collectors.

Oh... I'm sure those collectors are out there, and just as eager to get their hands on a Bessie or Whomobile as the rest of us are!

Dino.