News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Timelash Guardolier Rifle Build

Started by elkad, Feb 15, 2021, 03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Feb 15, 2021, 03:48 pm Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 06:19 pm by elkad
Reference: https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10803.0
I started off with a 1" PVC tube for the main barrel & handle. To make the handle part, I heated the tube with a heatgun on lo & inserted a wood mold with the width & thickness of a 9v battery. I then put the pipe in my vice to flatten the sides. I uses a scrap wood dowel & hammer to remove the wood mold.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (1).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (2).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (3).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (4).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (5).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (6).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (7).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (8).jpg

I sanded the pipe handle at an angle & sanded two grooves to fit the curve of the barrel. I held sand paper on the barrel & sanded the handle smooth & flat. Then I taped the barrel & handle to mark out the hole for the electronics.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (9).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (10).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (11).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (12).jpg

elkad

I measured out more 1" PVC to make the trigger guard or slide. I used my vice, a scrap piece of wood & my 9v wood mold to,..well, mold the PVC. I sanded the piece down, put the grooves in the part & sanded it down the same way as my barrel & handle. Then I marked that one out for the trigger electronics.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (13).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (14).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (15).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (16).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (17).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (18).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (19).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (20).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (21).jpg

Now for the emitter barrels & shaft. More 1" PVC. I used a simple way of marking out the lines. Rolled tape, sticky side up & another layer down, using itself as a way to level the line. (You can use paper or cardboard the same way as long as the paper or cardboard has bin cut out level.)
I cut the emitter vents & used my angle grinder to sand the end peace. (make sure the vents are level straight up & down when you sand. now I think of it, I should have made a tape stencil, cut it at an angel & drawn it on the pipe.)

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (22).jpgNo message is associated with this attachment.Timelash Guardolier Rifle (24).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (25).jpg

elkad

I used a 1 1/8" or 20mm hole saw to make the plug to attach the  emitter to the gun shaft. I sanded the holes down on a drill & bolt with my dremil. (sand little by little & test the tight fit in the emitter tube.)

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (26).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (27).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (28).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (29).jpg

Once the glued dried I used a stepper bit to make a 1/2" hole for a 3/8" PVC pipe. I plan to make this barrel shaft a two part connection. The emitters bolted in the front & the shoulder brace in the back. (If you want more strength to the gun shaft & brace, ether shell out for the metal tube, or reinforce the PVC with small pieces of wood dowel & cut slits for electric wiring.)

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (30).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (31).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (32).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (33).jpg

For the gun shaft grip panel, I cut another 1" PVC piece, flatten it & bolted it to the gun shaft.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (34).jpg

russellsuthern

Off to a good start!

You must have a very large shelving unit to display all your builds!!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Russell

Volpone

I always enjoy builds where people use calipers and micrometers--and you can see it in the results they get.  I don't think I have 2 window panes that are the same size on my TARDIS and every time I try to be proper and measure things it seems like I wind up with worse results than when I just eyeball it.  So yeah, the shaping the plastic pipe to the level you're doing is cool to see. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

elkad

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 15, 2021, 06:05 pmOff to a good start!

You must have a very large shelving unit to display all your builds!!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Russell

Thanks, but because of certain situations, I don't have a shelf for my props, due to the serious problem, my mother is a hoarder. Once it gets warm out I'm going to set up a large tarp outside & sort out her stuff. (18" of snow outside right now, BUUURRRR!)

elkad

Quote from: Volpone on Feb 16, 2021, 04:47 amI always enjoy builds where people use calipers and micrometers--and you can see it in the results they get.  I don't think I have 2 window panes that are the same size on my TARDIS and every time I try to be proper and measure things it seems like I wind up with worse results than when I just eyeball it.  So yeah, the shaping the plastic pipe to the level you're doing is cool to see. 

Well, you remember the old adage, measure 200 times cut once. :) The life of a meticulous prop maker.

elkad

This 1/2" tube is for attaching the barrel shaft & the arm rest to the handle. The pipe was just a little thick for the 3/8 pipe, so I used my 1/2" stepper bit with a drill extension to thin out the inside. I had to till the bit to give it a tinny more flexibility for the 3/8 tube to slide in smoothly.
I taped the two tubes on the handle to drill the screw holes & line up the barrel shaft gap.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (35).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (36).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (37).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (38).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (39).jpg

I bought some 3/4" conduit for the barrel shaft gun grip & made a cardboard stencil for the angle, I eventfully went back to my caliper to be sure.
I capped off the ends & taped the conduit to the gun shaft, drilled the holes & screwed the pipe to the panel on the end.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (40).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (41).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (42).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (43).jpg

elkad

Now to make the aerial on the end of the gun handle. I stared with a cut 1" & 3/4" PVC for a snug fit. I lathe the 1" to fit the 1" handle tube. (two different 1" PVC tubes, different thickness, one white one gray)
Next is a 1/2" with some scrap flatten PVC wrapped around, then I lathe that down.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (44).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (45).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (46).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (47).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (48).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (49).jpg

The tip is a 1/2" wood dowel lathed with an hourglass shape.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (50).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (51).jpg

elkad

Well today started of badly. I was making out the the gun's arm brace. I got the main bend done for two long shafts. I was making a 90 degree bend to the shafts. I finished one & started on the other when my heat gun shorted out shooting a large electrical spark out the handle wire.
I suddenly felt like a Deado from the movie R.I.P.D. (Rest In Peace Department). Emitting an Ora of decay causing things to brake down around me.  :(  I'm going to have to order another cable for my heat gun. Wile I wait, I'll make a quick fix using wire connectors.
I think it's because I rap up the wire on the gun causing it to bend & brake.   

short copy.jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (56).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (55).jpg

OK, now that I have that bit of drama out of the way, I'll tell you what I have got done before my heat gun went on the fritz.
I filled the PVC tube with sand & taped down the end. I heated the middle of the tube as best I could  to bend it. I think I did it to quickly, it developed a sagging eye. I put the pipe in a vice to hold it straight & level. I took my time on this one & it came out all right.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (52).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (53).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (54).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (58).jpg

elkad

I just had a complete 180 mood turn. I went to the store to buy wire connectors to make a temporary plug to my heat gun. But when I got home it suddenly hit me that the pug on the back of the heat gun looks like a computer tower plug, so I found a spare plug, drimeled the sides & a track to indicate the plugs polarity. Well to make long story short, it works.  ;D  ;D

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (59).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (60).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (61).jpg

I got the arm rest done. Now to move to the making the plug & light on the back of the handle, the trigger switch, detailing the handle aerial, sanding & painting.

Timelash Guardolier Rifle (62).jpgTimelash Guardolier Rifle (63).jpg

russellsuthern

Looking really good, now...
You must have quite an arsenal now- enough guns to take over a small galaxy!!  ;D

Regards,

Russell

Rassilons Rod

Just a safety point. I'm glad you said it's only temporary... But those plugs with the notch in them are heat rated... Just to bear in mind.

Enjoying your progress on the gun though :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

elkad

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 19, 2021, 03:56 pmLooking really good, now...
You must have quite an arsenal now- enough guns to take over a small galaxy!!  ;D

Regards,

Russell

Technically, I don't need an arsenal. Not when I have this little device. With a push of a button I can compress an entire galaxy into a pocket universe inside of this device for me to change & manipulate as I wish. kind of a cross between the Eden Crystal & the Galaxy marble in the first MIB movie.

}:) (Trying to make a sneaky devil horns emoji) :)

what_s_this_button_do__by_elkaddalek_dbzunkl-fullview.jpg

elkad

Quote from: Rassilons Rod on Feb 19, 2021, 08:06 pmJust a safety point. I'm glad you said it's only temporary... But those plugs with the notch in them are heat rated... Just to bear in mind.

Enjoying your progress on the gun though :)

Isn't a computer cable rated for high heat too?