News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 NST TARDIS Lamp Sources

Started by cathlyn847, Mar 28, 2010, 06:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Nov 14, 2010, 06:40 am #15 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 06:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Primrodo on Nov 13, 2010, 04:09 pm
I do have an extra Promo Lamp if any one is interested :)

I'm interested, but I think my wife would start throwing breakables at me if I spent any more money on TARDIS bits just yet... been cruising ebay for a while now, as well as other places, and I think this just might result in me sleeping in the car for a few days (or weeks), and at this time of year even in Virginia it's down into the 40s at night. (I know you northern folks are laughing at me. I'm a native of New York City who eventually went to high school in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania where the average November temp can dip into the teens. But after living in VA for over 20 years and spending much of that time on a ship that spend much of its time in the Caribbean, and then working my last job in a building that was like a cryochamber, I've got no metabolism left: above 75 degrees and it's too warm, below 70 and it gets chilly.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

autobond

I found this earlier last week at Home Depot in Columbus OH, they also have just the replacement glass as well for about the same price if you want to make your own exterior housing.

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvmm/R-202021766/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
If you listen closely, and ignore the humans, the planet is quite calm.

DoctorWho8

Yeah, those jelly jar lamps are pretty common.  Problem is they are about 30% too small for a normal TARDIS/Police Box build.  The average fresnel width is 5-6 inches wide.
Bill the Doctor" Rudloff

emtiem

Is there a quick way I can source the weather cap from somewhere in the UK?

sithlord

Hello to all, my very first post!! Hurrah! I am building a Tardis for my 5year old son and searched high and low for a budget lamp for a Matt Smith era and voila the lamp is I reckon spot on (with a couple of tweaks) Right kind of size.. Right price-I think that it's perfect
http://www.qvsdirect.com/New-Haven-60W-Lantern-Outdoor-Wall-Light-Rustic-pr-23082.html#utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=weekly-feed
Now hows about that for a find eh!?new_haven_wall_lantern_med.jpg

Gavvers

Thanks Sithlord for that, I've just bought my New Haven lamp from QVS and it' absolutely perfect, I couldn't find this lamp anywhere until I saw your post, a good price too and they still have them in stock as of the date of this post. Thanks everso for the tip! All the best, Gavvers

whofan88

Quote from: sithlord on May 09, 2011, 03:49 pm
Hello to all, my very first post!! Hurrah! I am building a Tardis for my 5year old son and searched high and low for a budget lamp for a Matt Smith era and voila the lamp is I reckon spot on (with a couple of tweaks) Right kind of size.. Right price-I think that it's perfect
new_haven_wall_lantern_med.jpg

This is one of the fresnel lamps used on the series.  During the Series 5 promotion this lamp was used on Promotional TARDIS props and in Series 6 Let's Kill Hitler its the lamp used on the TARDIS.  
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

anakin starkiller

Does anyone know a source for these in the US or a company that will ship them to the US?  I would like to pick up one of these lamps, but I'm not in Europe so...

Thanks

Dan Stokes
ddstokes@aol.com

pmc

I used one of these in my build, it took a bit of altering and you need the top off the garden lantern type of light which was usen in the Tennant era. You also need to remove two of the upright posts and reorientate the other four so that they are at 90 degrees to each other something that they didn't do on the promotional prop at the BBC.

I bought three of these in case I broke one during construction, I was paranoid they would go out of production lol :)

poeticdragon

I too would like to know if this lamp can be purchased somewhere in the US or that ships to the US...

ThisJustinOnline

The Promo lamp?

I have a couple that I can sell to you if you need. One is Dr. Iz's and I know he needs to sell his.

galacticprobe

Jun 13, 2012, 05:54 am #26 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2012, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
I know it's been a while since anyone's posted on this thread, but I just came across this while searching some US Civil War sutler sites:

http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/navy.html

Down near the bottom of the page is an anchor lamp that might be suitable for anyone still working on or looking for a Matt Smith TARDIS lamp. It's just 6 inches in diameter and the lamp (not counting the handle) is 10 inches tall, so it's a slight smaller than the original, but it's another source and for the price I don't think anyone can go wrong.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

blizzard

so I have been starting my hunt for lantern parts and I too was wondering if anyone has found a way to get this lantern in the states? I contacted the store themselves and they will not ship tot the states.
http://www.qvsdirect.com/New-Haven-60W-Lantern-Outdoor-Wall-Light-Rustic-pr-23082.htm
new_haven_wall_lantern_laarge.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2012, 03:25 pm #28 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012, 03:31 pm by galacticprobe
Blizzard, I just checked the dimensions of the lamp you posted (converting mm to inches), and they're so close to those of the lamp available through the link in my post. (Who's going to squabble over a half-inch or so?) So, for the money and ease of shipping, the one from Blockade Runner might be the easier way to go, especially since they are in the States, and that lamp looks more like the Production TARDIS lamp whereas the one in your link looks more like the lamp on the Promotional TARDIS, which hasn't been used on-screen.

Also, the Blockade Runner lamp does come apart via screws, to there probably wouldn't be any need for cutting things on it to replace the cap. That other lamp looks like it would need some cutting to get the cap off. (I could be wrong about that; just going by how it looks in the photos.)

Just a suggestion. (And no, I have no affiliation with Blockade Runner, other than having bought some US Civil War stuff there for use in my living history group.)

Dino.

blizzard

Hello Dino,

Thanks for more details on that lamps assembly you had post. I ask have you purchased and used it for your own Tardis lantern? If do do you happen to have a picture of it so I can see how it came out. I ask cause I still lean towards trying to ge tthe other one because I have seen many postings of builds people here have done with it.

-Heath