May 18, 2024, 07:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Any more info on this replica console?

Started by james791, Oct 14, 2011, 11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

james791

Oct 14, 2011, 11:46 am Last Edit: Aug 26, 2012, 06:51 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi guys, was looking through my old Dr Who magazines last night when I found this pic of a tardis console replica.

It has some similarities to the Blackpool and Longleat consoles, but I think it looks a little on the large side to be either of them plus the time column is different. Does it still exist? Have to say I love this console!console pic.jpg

kert gantry

Ah, I remember that console very well (and being told off for flicking a couple of its switches at said Panopticon!).  It was white with silver and red detailing and a time column that spookily anticipated the Five Doctors version. That was my first full-scale convention and there were also some excellent (if a little battered) Daleks around, presumably fan-made, and a selection of Julian Vince's superb models (Mechanoid, Movie Daleks, Brachacki TARDIS).

I believe Julian had a hold of that console for a while, with a view to using it in his never-finished film.  Don't know if he built it in the first place though.   

parsons86

Oct 17, 2011, 02:50 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2012, 06:51 pm by Scarfwearer
Untitled-2.jpg

I hope this clears the mystery of this console up for you. It was made by a Gerry Anderson fan Tim? (who's name I forget) in Ware in Herts. Originally a light blue in colour it was
purchased by Paul Tams in the mid 1980's, repainted and the switches altered to appear as the console in the Film "Mission of Doom" which he wrote and mostly had been financing with Julian Vince.
Paul kept the console for a few years in his garage in Greenwich which is where I last saw it.
I knew Paul many years ago and was slated to play one of the monsters in the film, the film project was very glossy and even appeared on the cover of the Super 8 (happy days!) enthusiasts magazine Movie Maker.

The project was abandoned and I remember Paul gave the console away in 1988 to a film group in Brighton.  Paul continued working in TV and film for real and did the Australian K9 series with Bob Baker.
Memories of this console has awakened an interest in model making and I'm starting on a Hartnell console room myself now.

Mike P.

james791

Interesting stuff! they did well to convert the console to a more faithful replica of the original/modified pertwee one, however personally I like it the way it was originally-it seems different, yet with just enough nods to the original console to make it interesting.

A bit of a longshot, but this wouldnt have been one that appeared on BBC's Northwest Tonight programme sometime back in the 80s would it? I have hazy memories of a report featuring someones home made tardis/console/daleks etc in their shed. I must have only been about 7 at the time but i remember the console looking like a very accurate replica of the pertwee one.

Wish someone would give me a full sized console for free!

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2011, 02:18 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011, 02:18 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: james791 on Oct 21, 2011, 11:01 am
Wish someone would give me a full sized console for free!

Yeah - you and about 99.44% of the members on this Forum! (Myself included, of course. ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"