May 15, 2024, 07:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's Hudolin style TARDIS

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 18, 2015, 06:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Yeah, my windows are nowhere near robust enough for such a thing. And a good point on the water. There's so much caulk around my windows that they're practically load-bearing (for as rickety as they are).  Still, one can dream.  Then maybe Scarfwearer will add them to his Autobot TARDIS. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

superrichi1a

Awesome stuff Russell! A totally unexpected direction for your box to take, but a totally new and unique mix on 'TARDIS' and 'Police Box' paradigms! The gloss blue really sets it off, and it doesn't half remind me of that model you posted a picture of as your blue inspiration!
You and Volpone definitely have builds which look like they could be from the same family now! ;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

russellsuthern

Thanks Rich,

The new look was something I had in the back of my mind for a while & I definitely prefer it. I think I'll keep it like this for quite a while!

Your builds were also a great inspiration to me- I guess we're ALL from the same family, if you see what I mean!

I always loved your TARDIS, but remember reading a post from yourself that it is a bit worse for wear now... (Damn those elements!)

I know you are busy living a jet set lifestyle over in the states  ;) but any plans in the future to do a repair job or build another one?

All the best,

Russell

superrichi1a

I'm looking forward to more pictures of the new look in that case! The more I look at the current pictures the more I like it actually :)

Hahaha well my build is in limbo a bit. Before I left the UK for California in December it was standing, looking just fine, and post-refit. But the inside was a different story somewhat. It's not awful, but I don't ever want it to be 'awful', I'd rather it stay in good condition and go indoors somewhere.
Sooo, I have the time and patience to build a totally new one, just perhaps not the funds... That said, I have been planning a new build just in case! If it goes ahead it'll be a Tennant 'Hero 3' prop and it'd have to be completed within 2 weeks! A tough ask, but one I'm confident could be achieved because I'll have the help of a team of 5 people, the experience of the last build, access to better power tools (I didn't have any on the first build!) and an engineer friend who is already mocking up computer models of the design. So basically I'd be riding on other people's genius to counteract my own buffoonery! ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Terrasolo

Long before I ever had a Police Box, my main want was the TV Movie TARDIS. It's a gorgeous box, as is yours. Iknow some people don't care for the TVM but I always loved it, and no one can deny that they made a great box!

It looks fantastic outside too but I can't imagine how you guys with outside boxes do it. I'd worry every day.

Volpone

Hudolin is kind of my hero.  If you're going to reboot anything sci-fi, he's your guy:  Doctor Who, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica.  He did them all.  Can you imagine someone coming to you, telling you they want you to design them a new Battlestar Galactica--and that they'll pay you a pile of money to do it?! 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Jun 13, 2017, 08:09 am #96 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2017, 08:11 am by russellsuthern
Rich:  2 weeks really is a tough ask, but with a good team & the right tools It's certainly possible... I'll keep a lookout for that one!

Terrasolo:  Thanks, I love the TVM box, too. Along with the Cushing movie box, they are my top two! I guess I have ended up with a bit of a Cushing/Hudolin hybrid!
As for looking after outside boxes- I don't know how we do it, either! >:(

Volpone: I only know most of the names on here from the world of Dr Who, so after your comment I googled Hudolin- wow! He's done tons of stuff!
A great contributor to Sci Fi!!

Cheers guys,

Russell

Scarfwearer

The new paint-job looks really hansome! I've always liked the more 'police box' look, and being outside it really suits it.

So... you're not tempted to get a sledge hammer and do a knock-through? ;) Or maybe move your box six feet to the right?

galacticprobe

Jun 14, 2017, 05:18 am #98 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2017, 05:19 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Volpone on Jun 13, 2017, 03:54 am
Hudolin is kind of my hero. ... Doctor Who, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica.

SciFi's 'Eureka' also had Hudolin's name on their credits, for fans of that show who didn't see that.

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 13, 2017, 03:54 am
Can you imagine someone coming to you, telling you they want you to design them a new Battlestar Galactica--and that they'll pay you a pile of money to do it?!

Jeez! Talk about a dream come true for any TV prop designer! The new 'Galactica' had a monstrously huge budget! And with a CV like Hudolin has behind him, I'm sure they paid him quite handsomely.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Jun 14, 2017, 07:46 am #99 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2017, 05:36 pm by russellsuthern
Thanks Crispin!
I tell you, it would be a dream come true to knock through to create a console room behind my box, but I think the owner of the building might have something to say about it!
(Not my property, I'm afraid!)
Never mind, I hope that one day my dream of having my own console will come true!

Dino: Hudolin is definitely a legend! I think most people on this site would love to make props for a living, especially nowadays when there are bigger budgets available.
It must have been quite a frustrating job a few years back with such tight constraints on time & money...  amazing how well they did, really, but often fan builds ended up better than the original props due to the amateur builder being able to spend considerably more time & money on their project. (This is particularly obvious with the Dalek props.)

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Jul 09, 2017, 08:12 pm #100 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 08:14 pm by russellsuthern
We have been having such lovely weather lately!
The other day the brilliant sunshine was right across the front of my TARDIS.
It created some lovely shadows, which really highlighted the depth of my wall panels...
I laboured over cutting inch thick wood to make them & I'm very proud of them, so I thought I'd show them off here!
Here's the pics...

20170702_125650.jpg   20170702_130128.jpg

Hope you like!

Regards,

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Looks fantastic Russ!

I was down your way yesterday. The weather was amazing.

russellsuthern

Thanks!

I try never to complain about the weather being too hot, as we so rarely get it...
& at least if it's boiling hot my TARDIS isn't getting piddled on!!

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all, hope you are well.
Still not bored with photographing my TARDIS....

Footling around with the camera last night & came up with this, which I hope some of you might find amusing...

"What's this? A Police Box? Aren't they usually found on street corners?"
000.jpg

"IT'S ALIVE!!!!!"
333.jpg

"DON'T TOUCH THAT BUTTON!!!"   VWORP!   VWORP!!   VWORP!!!
444.jpg

It could be argued that I have too much time on my hands...

Regards,

Russell

Angelus Lupus

What's the point of having a Tardis if you don't play with it?  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.