Apr 20, 2024, 01:22 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Inside Translight?

Started by philipw, Sep 22, 2010, 03:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

philipw

Sep 22, 2010, 03:13 am Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:47 pm by Scarfwearer
I noticed some of the current season shoot photos tonight on syfy.com.

One showed the tardis with the back wall removed, and what appears to be a piece of material over the opening. Could even be a light behind it, can't tell for sure though. Could this be how they shoot through the open door and see a backlit faux inside?

docwhospoilers3.jpg

celation

Yes - that's exactly it.

The Tennant translight sold for about 600 quid on Ebay recently, if I remember rightly.

C.

philipw

Quote from: celation on Sep 22, 2010, 09:24 am
Yes - that's exactly it.

The Tennant translight sold for about 600 quid on Ebay recently, if I remember rightly.

C.

Wow, seems cheap.

superrichi1a

Well, pretty much, but not quite. Sorry, I'm a fussy Whovian, must add my bit lol. Normally, they have their console pic in the back with lights shining down from the roof of the box, illiuminating both the panel and people inside. They only normally take the back off if several people have to emerge from the box (normally with only half a console pic) or if something big has to be taken through. Although, that's rare, so, all I'm really doing is waffling lol. Oh well. It was a nice waffle! :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

philipw

Quote from: superrichi1a on Sep 22, 2010, 04:42 pm
Well, pretty much, but not quite. Sorry, I'm a fussy Whovian, must add my bit lol. Normally, they have their console pic in the back with lights shining down from the roof of the box, illiuminating both the panel and people inside. They only normally take the back off if several people have to emerge from the box (normally with only half a console pic) or if something big has to be taken through. Although, that's rare, so, all I'm really doing is waffling lol. Oh well. It was a nice waffle! :)

That graphic looks like it covers the entire back opening and is intended to work that way, and no other really. So I'm not following what you're saying I guess.

superrichi1a

Quote from: philipw on Sep 23, 2010, 01:09 am
That graphic looks like it covers the entire back opening and is intended to work that way, and no other really. So I'm not following what you're saying I guess.

Yeeess. Uh, yeah, I know, my comment was a bit obscure really lol. And I'm not quite sure how it relates to this post either as you say, that graphic covers the entire back of the box, so, what I was saying was completly erelevant Who waffle really, but I was just saying that, at least in the circumstances I know of, they never actually took te back of the box off unless to get something (or somones) big through there, although, you are right, it doesn't appear to be the case here ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

celation

There's no other way to light the translight, really - other than to take the back of the box off. And if it's unlit, it's pretty dark.

I'd say that pretty much any time you can see the interior through the Police Box doors, the box will be missing the back.

philipw

Quote from: celation on Sep 23, 2010, 05:34 pm
There's no other way to light the translight, really - other than to take the back of the box off. And if it's unlit, it's pretty dark.

I'd say that pretty much any time you can see the interior through the Police Box doors, the box will be missing the back.

That's what I was thinking.

Though that make me now wonder if it's possible to light up a translight that size with diffused fluorescents, like I have done a number of times for backlit poster boxes. And then, how to get an image that would work.

galacticprobe

Sep 23, 2010, 08:46 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010, 08:47 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: philipw on Sep 23, 2010, 07:49 pm

That's what I was thinking.

Though that make me now wonder if it's possible to light up a translight that size with diffused fluorescents, like I have done a number of times for backlit poster boxes. And then, how to get an image that would work.

I think that's how Scarfwearer lights the roundel panels in his console room (with the fluorescents, that is; I know he's sculpted and formed the roundels, but the principle is the same: backlight a translucent). The hard part, like you say, is finding an image that will work (or at least one that can be blown up that large without becoming pixelated).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"