Apr 23, 2024, 06:13 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

West Wickham Box

Started by hb88banzai, Mar 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Mar 26, 2017, 11:56 am Last Edit: Mar 26, 2017, 02:53 pm by hb88banzai
The Box on West Wickham High Street -- P26.

Here as seen in 1957 (hiding behind the woman on the right) --

P26--high-street-west-wickham-1957.jpg

Of some note is that, based on internal Met documents, the original West Wickham Box may well have been one of 10 boxes placed by the Met in various parts of the outer Divisions from late 1928 to early 1929 as Developmental Prototypes prior to the final Mark 1 versions being installed for the full test of the new Police Box System in the Richmond and Wood Green sub-divisions. The Met List states this Box was Resited, but it's unknown if it was in the same general location or if it was elsewhere on the High Street.

petewilson

Apr 16, 2017, 09:07 am #1 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2017, 09:08 am by petewilson
Here's the "clean" version of the photo banzai posted below from 1957........

P26 Junction of High Street, south side and Grosvenor Road, east side, West Wickham (1957).jpg

Dalekoracle

Now can someone airbrush the little old lady from the photo, we'll get to see the old girl in all her glory LOL!
What a lovely photo that is.

Volpone

Light and camera angles often play tricks on my eyes, but the roof stack seems incredibly undersized on that box.  Everything looks about right (except for the woman standing in front of it) up to the POLICE BOX signs and then the roof looks like it's on a smaller box.  I wonder if there's a door on the building behind the box that is making the box look wider than it really is.  The more I look at it, I think that's what I'm seeing. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

dr hue