May 18, 2024, 03:00 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Third Doctor's / Jon Pertwee's Tattoo

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 18, 2017, 03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 20, 2017, 06:18 am #15 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2017, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
Has anyone poked around on line at tattooing web sites to see what sort of choices they have for snake? (Or visited a tattoo parlor and looked through their portfolio?) One of them might just have one almost identical to Pertwee's.

Google Images for "Snake Tattoo Designs" has thousands to look through, both in designs and ones on people. They've even gotten them broken down by the type of snake: water snake, black snake, viper snake, earth snake... so if anyone has any inkling <pardon the pun> on the type of snake it might be, it could narrow the search.

(Don't bother trying anything relating to Jon Pertwee Tattoo; you'll get even more tattoo images, all 'Doctor Who'-related and they'll be everything from Autons to Zygons!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Found my copy of Moon Boots and Dinner Suits
The description in the book:
tattooed.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Apr 12, 2017, 04:48 am #17 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017, 04:50 am by galacticprobe
"...squirming itself into a question mark..." Good grief! Can you get anymore prophetic than that? The thing that became the symbol of the Doctor from Season 18 until the final episode of Season 26! The Question Mark!

So maybe unofficially that question mark symbol started in Season 7 with the 3rd Doctor? Interesting that he'd probably gotten that tattoo when he was in the Royal Navy, more than 20 years before he would become the 3rd incarnation of the question mark-symbolized Doctor. (Serendipity, especially when you consider that he didn't have his wits about him when he'd gotten it!)

I think Jon Pertwee was a true Time Lord; he saw into the future that he was going to play this mysterious alien, and then went back to join the Royal Navy so he would get rip-roaring drunk because it's obvious from his surprise that, in his normal state of mind, he'd have never gotten a tattoo!

Thanks for posting that, Nate! (And I'm glad you found your book!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Apr 12, 2017, 06:34 am #19 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2017, 06:36 am by galacticprobe
It's also available from Amazon, in hard cover, soft cover, and a very inexpensive Kindle edition for those that prefer e-books.

Dino.

warmcanofcoke

Jul 17, 2017, 06:46 am #20 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 07:11 am by warmcanofcoke
Oh, Internet  ;D
646304616.jpg646304616A.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Quotehttps://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-21/doctor-who-jon-pertwee-centenary-50th-anniversary-100th-birthday/

1973-RT-Pertwee-015-651dfd2.jpg1973-RT-Pertwee-015-651dfd2.jpg
1973-RT-Pertwee-032-cb87321.jpg1973-RT-Pertwee-032-cb87321.jpg
1973-RT-Pertwee-033-b179085.jpg1973-RT-Pertwee-033-b179085.jpg

Found some cool new images.

KIT-KAT

Apparently (from what I heard in the new doctor who magazine) the timelords branded him with it they knew he was a criminal
No, not the mind probe!

mverta

The Doctor has no question about his name, or his identity.  He knows who he is. The Time Lords know who he is. It is we, the viewers, who have questions about who he is.  Thus, a certain producer's asinine decision to have the character embrace the question mark is breaking the 4th wall, and makes no dramatic or logical sense.  If the foundation of the character's dramatic arc was a life-long search to discover his true identity, then you might have a motivation.  As it is, what you have is one of the many reasons that despite 50 years of trying, and being easily the greatest, most flexible dramatic vehicle ever conceived, Doctor Who remains eclipsed and relatively obscure behind lesser franchises like Star Wars, which don't possess a fraction of Doctor Who's potential.  But not for long, if that's any consolation.  Disney's grinding that whole thing into dust to be scattered by the winds.  But I digress...  I never knew about Pertwee's tattoo and I love both the story and the prophetic symbolism of it. :)

warmcanofcoke

warmcanofcoke

Found another image on Facebook.
1714251264010.jpg