Apr 19, 2024, 01:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The TARDIS Toolkit

Started by exilea, Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

exilea

Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 03:28 pm by Scarfwearer
Since the Sonic Screwdriver is the prop that generally gets the most attention, the focus of this thread will be the not so well known props.

To familiarize first time readers with each prop's name, here is The Technical Manual toolkit drawing:

tardistoolkitmanual.jpg

The Toolbox:

TARDISToolboxtechman.jpg

As I understand it, this tech manual drawing was done sometime after the props first appeared in "Earthshock".

This is what was left of the kit in 1993(?). Photo courtesy of Purple Blancmage:

BBCVFX_TARDIStoolkitENHANCED.jpg

Other classic reference photos:

Earthshock(Magnetic Clamp and Magnetic Drone a.k.a Master Drone Clamp)
th_Pho1BA.jpgth_Pho1BE.jpg

Arc of Infinity(Neutron Ram and original tookit)
th_screen10.jpgth_screen11.jpgth_screen9-1.jpg

The kit can also be seen very briefly falling over at the beginning of "Time and the Rani". Too quick to get a clear shot of it.

The toolkit makes it's next appearance in the Doctor Who TV Movie. The case changed from the filing box to a medical doctor's bag.

screen7edit.jpg

The tool props lean heavily on the tech manual drawings, and some of the original features are "lost in translation" (but for the better, IMO). The most noteable difference is the "dial" on the Magnetic clamp, changing from the "knob" to a golden rotary wheel.

Other TVM reference photos:

th_tardistoolkitmoviebrighter.jpgth_screen8.jpgth_dw30.jpg

That's the history lesson in it's not so organized summary format. My build diary to follow... :)
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

greatwazoo42

Apr 05, 2009, 12:51 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 09:15 am by scarfwearer
Other than the magnetic clamp making a good sap?  Nope.  :)

"Grace, hand me the neutron ram.  ...  The neutron ram?  Grace?  Oh, I'll show you -"
WHA-BAM!!!
Crumple, thud.

Dematerialiser

Feb 24, 2009, 10:24 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:05 pm by scarfwearer
WOW exilea..! That's a really great way to kick off a thread about all this - nice research! Can't wait for the build diary.

cheers
Chris

greatwazoo42

Mar 27, 2009, 06:53 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:06 pm by scarfwearer
You know, I've always wondered what the 1980's version started out life as.  Some people say it was a DeWalt tool case of some sort and others say it was a hard sided document carrier.  Anyone know anything?

purpleblancmange

Mar 28, 2009, 09:37 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:06 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: greatwazoo42 on Mar 27, 2009, 06:53 pmYou know, I've always wondered what the 1980's version started out life as.  Some people say it was a DeWalt tool case of some sort and others say it was a hard sided document carrier.  Anyone know anything?

It was an adapted file case and not a Dewalt tool box or anything along those lines - they came from a stationary shop here in the UK called WHSmiths and two years ago, I was fortunate enough to find one at our doctor's surgery and even better, they gave it to me for nothing.  Since then, I've done absolutely nothing with it, more's the pity.  I can just wrack that up as another project in waiting... I have rather a lot of those unfortunately.   :-/

The odd thing about the whole kit is that no-one on the production seems to remember who built it, I even had a chat with Martin Bower who made all the other props from Earthshock (where it debuted) and even he doesn't know anything about it.  It's a little mystery.

roguescout

Apr 01, 2009, 01:56 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
Purple,
      I have to say, I'm completely floored,  This item has been driving me nuts for over 10 years!  No joke!  I have been actually putting off the production or the rest of the toolkit in lieu of someday finding the base for the toolbox itself.  Is there anything else you can share with us about the particulars of the box itself?  I know you said they were available through WHSmith; however, Who made them? Were they common?  Are they for legal size files, standard size files? Etc, etc..  Any help you can provide would be indefinately appreciated!

Best Regards!
Rob

purpleblancmange

Apr 01, 2009, 06:54 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
I was pretty floored when I saw the box myself, I should have been paying attention to the midwife who was telling me and the wife about the health of our unborn child at the time, but all I could think was, "Oh my God, oh my God - the TARDIS toolkit is under that bench."  I couldn't stop staring at it, it must have looked like I was looking up my wife's skirt!

As for its particulars, I can't recall too much about them from the time, I just remember that they were around in this one shop for a few years in the 1980s - maybe the first half, they certainly weren't around in 1987 as I started to actively look for one then having been reminded of the kit after seeing it again in Time and the Rani.

They came in a number of colours, I have a feeling that they were made for Smiths only as I never saw them in any other stationers at the time - there aren't any manufacturer's markings on the one I have, or at least I don't think there are - but I could check again.

I'll have to tell you about what I saw of the actual prop when I had it in my mits in a later post (it was quite a bit adapted and modified for the show) - I'm currently required elsewhere right now so have to scoot.

Stay tuned.

celation

Apr 01, 2009, 09:32 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
Purple - you tease!  :)

Lovin' this thread. Really like the stuff I've seen of yours from the other forum, exilea - and I'm looking forward to reading about it all over again!

Amazing revelation about the toolbox, Purple!

I once got as far as making a Universal Detector, a Moog Drone Clamp and an Influx Booster Stabiliser many years ago. They were a bit rubbish.

I wonder if I've still got them...  :)

C.

purpleblancmange

Apr 01, 2009, 01:07 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: celation on Apr 01, 2009, 09:32 amPurple - you tease!  :)

Not really, I just got called away while I was typing.  Stupidly I started to make my post just as I was meant to be taking my daughter to nursery.

Um, I was thinking that there's not much else to say about this tool box other than it was heavily adapted.  From what I remember, the internal tray was made of wood with foam inserts, the handle on the lid wasn't part of the original box as far as I could tell as it appeared to be from something else entirely.  I wish that I still had all of my original 35mm snaps, but over the years they have disappeared which is anoying as I photographed everything about the box as well as the tools too - the only reason the shot in post one still exists is because I glued that photo in a school Design Technology project piece I did at the time back in the early 1990's.

Even though I have one of the boxes, I'm seriously tempted to just copy it and build another from scratch, the reason being is that the plastic parts on it are a little fragile and I can see damage happening with too much handling, especially on the front flap, though I may use the clasp and lock from it for the replica.  It's a case of not wanting to mess up the original box for fear that I'd never find another one on the off chance that it does all go pear shaped.

If there's anything else you need to know, just give a shout and I'll see if I can answer.

By the way, I have no idea what the file size was, whether it was foolscap, legal or other - but I could try and work it out I guess.

greatwazoo42

Apr 01, 2009, 01:48 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:07 pm by scarfwearer
Purple - can you post pictures of the one you liberated from your doctor's office?  The more we know about this case the better we can either find more originals or make our own.

purpleblancmange

Apr 01, 2009, 02:12 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:08 pm by scarfwearer
As I don't have any batteries for my camera at the moment, I've just had to trawl through all my recovered photos (HD crash just before Christmas - long story) and this is the only clear shot of mine that I've found:

100_1488.jpg

Hopefully it's enough for now, but you'll get the general idea from it.

greatwazoo42

Apr 01, 2009, 02:24 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:08 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Purple!  Is this it behind the small K-9 body as well in your K-9 build thread?

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

purpleblancmange

Apr 01, 2009, 02:58 pm #12 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:09 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: greatwazoo42 on Apr 01, 2009, 02:24 pmThanks Purple!  Is this it behind the small K-9 body as well in your K-9 build thread?

Yes, that's it.  I think when that was taken, it was done a few months after I'd marked up where I have to trim sections either off or out - the inner flat area of the sides need to be removed and backed with another plate with those black shapes for a start.

It was at that point that I bottled out of doing it again which is why I'm contemplating building another from scratch based on this, so I can mod that as I build it rather than risk the genuine item.  It's actually a very straight forward build, it's just finding the inclination that's more difficult.

greatwazoo42

Apr 01, 2009, 04:33 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:10 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: purpleblancmange on Apr 01, 2009, 02:58 pmwhich is why I'm contemplating building another from scratch based on this, so I can mod that as I build it rather than risk the genuine item.

I hope you do and post a build diary.  I know of a few people that have been wanting one of their very own for ages.

roguescout

Apr 01, 2009, 09:18 pm #14 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 07:10 pm by scarfwearer
Purple,
      I have to agree with you sentiments with regards to being in the doctors office and not paying attention at that moment!  Had it been me, I would probably have been guilty of the same! LOL! BTW,  nice photo!  It definitely looks like its suited for legal size files...  or perhaps a doctors chart.  Now if we can only figure out who manufactured the thing or possibly what name they marketed it under.
Regards,
Rob