May 19, 2024, 01:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Tardis Sound

Started by rmef2, May 26, 2011, 01:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rmef2

May 26, 2011, 01:29 am Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 02:39 pm by Scarfwearer
Has anyone noticed that series 6 and this season has a very rich Tardis sound?  The thud is clean and deep sounding.  The grind is clean and full.  I wonder if there is any links to the sound?  I have been using the sound from the DWWA for years and years but I love the richness of the new sounds.  Albeit Im sure alot has to do with HD and my blue ray player.

DoctorWho8

The thud was enhanced in the 2009 specials.  I personally don't like it unless the environment was boomy to begin with.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

May 26, 2011, 06:23 am #2 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Speaking of TARDIS sounds, did anyone notice in "Curse of the Black Spot" when the Doctor and the ship's captain were inside the TARDIS trying to get the old girl started (actually, just before they tried) that the stationary hum sounded like the one from the later Tom Baker onwards stories rather than the New Series pulsating 'hum'? (Or was it just me hearing things?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

invadrzim

May 26, 2011, 08:08 am #3 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:11 am by invadrzim
OP: The TARDIS sounds do sound a bit cleaner and richer. The only ay i know to get a noise free version of the new demat/remat noise and the internal noises is the files in The Adventure Games Episode 3: TARDIS.

course you cant really use them for much (asked the bbc if i could use them in a Fallout 3/ NV mod, they said no go :( ) but they're there.

galacticprobe: re-watching it, it starts out with the usual humming thats normal for this series but just before the scene switches back to the kid/pirates/amy/rory in the armory theres is a different sound.

i don't know the sounds from the later tom baker era but does this match what you are thinking?

http://silentmoose.com/otherstuff/tardis_hum_cotbs.mp3

superrichi1a

Dino,
You were hearing the sound used from the Peter Davison console room. Although you can't often hear it underneath all the other sounds, they have actually used that in the sound for this console room. There was a bit about it on Confidential last year, I believe, where they gave us a run through of the new TARDIS hum, and they indeed did reveal that the classic series hum is in there somewhere ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

May 26, 2011, 05:38 pm #5 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:46 pm by galacticprobe
Well that explains it. We Yanks don't get the 'Condifential' over here. Even BBC America doesn't show it. I knew I recognized the hum, and just that it came from the later series. (It's been a while since I've seen some of the Classic episodes, and from the last Tom Baker series onwards the hum just seems to all blend together in my head. I know I heard it in the Davison episodes; I just wasn't sure when they started using that particular hum.)

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know I wasn't just hearing things.

And yes, Zim; that's what I heard. I've got a longer version of that in WAV format. (I sometimes put it on 'Loop' and let it play as white noise to block out other things when there is too much outside noise coming in to let me sleep, and my pain killers really make me want to take a nap. Say nothing: I already know what that says about me!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

There was a bit about it on Confidential last year,
Quote from: superrichi1a on May 26, 2011, 02:55 pm
Dino,
You were hearing the sound used from the Peter Davison console room. Although you can't often hear it underneath all the other sounds, they have actually used that in the sound for this console room. There was a bit about it on Confidential last year, I believe, where they gave us a run through of the new TARDIS hum, and they indeed did reveal that the classic series hum is in there somewhere ;)

That is wild.  I have the confidential- or at least a version of it on the box set- were should I be looking?

oh and thanks
your speakers and/or ears must be much better than mine

wild !
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?