News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Source for signage

Started by willytron, Sep 04, 2008, 04:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 09, 2017, 06:58 pm #15 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 07:14 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: volpone on Mar 09, 2017, 04:10 pm
Grab a PDF file from this site (I forget where)...

Quick shortcut here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306.

Quote from: volpone on Mar 09, 2017, 04:10 pm
print it out, spraypaint that backside of the sheet white, and then add a coat of clear paint over the lettering (because you probably have an inkjet printer instead of a color laser printer and the ink will wash off it it isn't protected).

Places like Office Max or Office Depot have color laser printers, and they're not expensive. They might even have the transparency film, though I don't know if they have it larger than standard US Letter size (8.5" x 11"). Also, if you can get the image to print "backwards", the laser toner will be in the "inside" of the transparency film when the white spray paint goes on. This way when you flip the finished sign around, it will look correct, but the lettering will be protected by the transparency film. If you can't print it backwards, then yes; you'll have to spray some sort of clear over the lettering as even color laser lettering will chip and flake off if it gets rubbed or scuffed.

Quote from: ironageman on Mar 09, 2017, 12:28 pm
...I've made the experiment of hand-painting a police post front sign... I spent a day achieving very slightly wobbly lettering. Anyhow, the moral is that it can be done, to a just-about acceptable standard.

Dude... if you hand-painted this sign and are calling it "wobbly", I think you might need glasses (or new ones)! That sign looks amazing! You did an outstanding job: one to be proud of.

Quote from: ironageman on Mar 09, 2017, 12:28 pm
The reason that it looks greyed out is that the police post already had a sheet of thick smoked glass in place of the sign, and it looked like an original repair so I was reluctant to remove it.

As one who is also fond of antiques and keeping things original, I can sympathize with you on this. That said, if you carefully remove the smoke-tinted glass and store it safely so it can be put back at any time, then you can display your Phone Panel sign without it being toned down by the smoked glass. And when you want the Post to be back in its original condition, just re-install the smoked glass and it will be like that glass was never removed. (As long as you keep the pieces safe and can put things back as they were, you can modify anything and still restore it with no problem.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"