May 16, 2024, 08:04 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1/48th scale Tom Baker

Started by Andrew Harvey, Mar 11, 2024, 11:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

Evening all! Here are a few pictures of the Tom Baker models I've been making over the past week or so. They are green because that is the colour of the stuff used to make them! These ones will be painted -I am not bothering to make moulds to cast them in white metal. They stand at just below forty millimetres, the scale height for a man just over six feet. ( Average height works out at 37mm and is noticeably shorter) Two of them are still mounted on corks; it makes handling them easier when sculpting or painting. The arms and hands are castings I made last year-it saves me a lot of time fiddling about with things like that! The console is a mock-up just to help get the arms at the right angles. I pinched it from a thing called 'table top theatre' some years ago, I do not recall the original makers name, but I have re-scaled it so that it is bang on 1/48th. A fully detailed miniature console room is the next thing on my list. Hope you enjoy them-such as they are so far...

Andrew

IMG_7207b.jpg  IMG_7209b.jpg  IMG_7214b.jpg IMG_7218b.jpg  IMG_7220b.jpgIMG_7227b.jpg  IMG_7241b.jpgIMG_7233b.jpg

redfern

Quote from: Andrew Harvey on Mar 11, 2024, 11:53 pmThe console is a mock-up just to help get the arms at the right angles. I pinched it from a thing called 'table top theatre' some years ago, I do not recall the original makers name, but I have re-scaled it so that it is bang on 1/48th. A fully detailed miniature console room is the next thing on my list.

Looks like the papercraft printouts once available at "Action Figure Theatre", once a dedicated domain...

https://archive.org/details/action-figure-theatre-doctor-who-figurine-tom-baker-tardis-console-printouts

...but now preserved as a blog...

http://www.actionfiguretheatre.co.uk/

Dang if I can't find the creator's name myself!  When, or "of", I do, I'll update this post.

Andrew Harvey

That was it! I had even forgotten its proper name! Nothing new there! Well done Redfern for spotting it!
  Andrew

elkad

Is Drax playing with his Dimensional Stabilizer gun again? "Sorry Doc."

Andrew Harvey

Very funny!!!!

Andrew

Volpone

Don't bother painting them.  Just give them bazookas and machine guns and walkie talkies, put them in a sandbox and shoot firecrackers at them with a slingshot.  Green Army Men! 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Andrew Harvey

Mmm Tom Baker with a bazooka....An interesting idea, but Ace's territory really! Funnily enough I have a few tamiya WW2 germans which will be converted to Robo-men for my little Dalek army, (if you look back on my first posts you will see some german WW1 style troopers with a Dalek). I have planned a stereoscopic picture with Daleks and the troops and some pyrotechnics ( match heads!) Its a tricky one, as there must be a flying saucer attacking too! Watch this space....
 Right on Volpone!

Andrew

WonderWheeler

The face looks good and everything overall. But, I have learned that the typical human eye level is at about the center line of the head height, up and down. From art class. I am not sure there is enough room for the remainder of his massive cranium inside that little hat there(!)

Andrew Harvey

You are quite right Wonderwheeeler. The centre line is indeed where you say. If you look at Tom Baker when he has his hat on a lot of that mop disappears. (See how squashed down it is when he takes it off sometimes). Often the hat is up away from his forehead so we can see his face. The hat is of course dimensionally transcendental, so even the Mekon could comfortably wear it. I ran into an anatomical anomaly on the hatless one, his entire head came out a slightly odd shape, Sometimes whilst sculpting the face spreads and after hours of working on it one fails to notice. Then you just say 'Hang it all! I'm not doing all that again!' The faces are about three and a half millimetres from chin to the top of the eye. So you can understand why a chap could run out of patience!
  I do some monsters too. They are easy because nobody really has anything to compare them too! Except real monsters of course, they can always spot the mistakes!

All the best
  Andrew

13drwho

These are really beautiful. You've really captured the likeness. Great work!!!

Andrew Harvey

Why thank you 13! You might be interested to know that they received their undercoat this morning, so now they are black instead of green and awaiting the colours! Watch this space as they say!

All the best,
  Andrew