May 13, 2024, 07:28 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door Sign Reference

Started by Scarfwearer, May 14, 2009, 03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

I've made an larger version of the Altered Brachacki sign. This version is approximately 3200x4000  in size but can be scaled down to fit a full sized box. The sign is oversized; however I've included trimming lines.

A small version is below, I'm not sure how to host the full sized version on the site (Photobucket annoyingly resizes the image to a much smaller version when I upload it there).

Its based on Zbigniev Hamson's version he made for his amazing model, which I upscaled and relaid the graphics.

Brachacki%20Altered%20smaller_zps1xoxbtm0.jpg

I've no idea how you save it as a vector drawing (I Use GIMP, and i've never been able to get that to save as vectors, even though it apparently has that functionality) but i've saved it as a large JPG and PDF as well as the original XCF/psd files

If someone wants a copy, let me know and I'll email it over

Steve

Scarfwearer

That looks really nice. If you email the file(s) over I can arrange to host them somewhere.

Quote from: grimusaur on Jan 13, 2017, 04:36 pm
Much obliged! I think I'll have a go at running up a vector/pdf version of this to add to the thread.

That would be very welcome also.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Thanks for those, Steve. I've added them to the table on page 1, and fixed the link to ZbignievHamson's version also. Thanks as ever to Deck5 for hosting these.

Crispin

clayton hickman

Hello all,

This is my first post after aeons of lurking (and loving all the amazing stuff you guys have achieved), so please be gentle with me!

I've just attempted to digitally recreate the 1976 Newbery box phone panel as closely as possible, and am attaching a JPG of what I've managed.

The original file is much larger and of higher resolution and I'd appreciate your advice on how best to share it with you.

Anyway, hope you like the pic. I'll try to lurk less and join in more from hereon in.

All the best
Clay
x
Newbery-Black.jpg

Mark

Hi Clayton, as Tony said - welcome on board!

Never met or spoke with you but having read lots I feel I know you well LoL.

Great first post!

galacticprobe

Apr 02, 2017, 06:32 am #215 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2017, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
Welcome to the TARDIS Builders Family, Clayton! As Tony and Mark have said, it's nice to have you out of "Lurk Mode", and we feel like we know you already through everything Tony's mentioned of your work.

We do have a Table of the Phone Panel signs in this thread (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306), and one of our Moderators, deck5, is hosting the really large, high-res, or PDF files of those re-created signs. So if yours is that big, maybe deck5 would host it in the table. (There is one JPG in it, and a link to a PDF which is dead at the moment, so yours would be a welcome addition to that Table.)

I know Tony's mentioned the larger file size limit that scarfwearer has (at least for now) given us for GIFs (non-animated) and PNGs, but there is a pixel size limit on JPGs. So if your file is a JPG and larger than (I think, but don't quote me) 2000 pixels, then you may want to ask deck5 if he would host the file and add the link to that Table. If he would, you'd just have to e-mail the file to him. (I've done that with all of the PDFs, and JPGs, of the St. John Ambulance logos I've created, and I think others have also done it with their creations of the POLICE PUBLIC CALL BOX signs.)

Once again, it's glad to have you with us and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

Fantastic! Cheers Clayton. I was planning on knocking one of these up myself over the next few weeks in preparation for a scale Newbury box build I'm planning.

Welcome aboard!

Steve

Rassilons Rod

Welcome aboard Clay!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

Wow!!
Gobsmacked to see you join TB!!
Welcome to the gang!
(I absolutely loved the time team!)

Love the sign-
Looking forward to seeing your future contributions.

Regards,

Russell

clayton hickman

Wow! Thanks so much for the warm welcome, guys. It's terribly kind of you!  :D

I don't suppose SVG files are supported here are they? In all honesty I've only just discovered them, and their infinitely-scalable, smooth-lined Vector goodness. I made one of my Newbery sign just using a website that does JPG - SVG conversion and it came out wonderfully.

I'll be happy to send deck5 anything that would be useful. Maybe he might PM me so I can get email details?

Thank you all again for being so nice. Hopefully I can find something useful to contribute, but in all honesty the depth and quality of research on here is staggering, so its more than a trifle daunting!

Cheers
Clay
x

lofiscifi

Is there a general rule of thumb to the physical size of door signs, or does it really vary from prop to prop? Wouldn't mind trying to recreate full-size graphics, as per the top signs I added to: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=305.0

tony farrell

Jul 31, 2017, 07:57 pm #221 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2017, 08:29 pm by Tony Farrell
Hi,

Brachacki Original - 15.25" by 11.25" (inclusive of one inch frame)
Brachacki Altered - 15.5" by 12" (nominal size - no frame)
Newbery Original - 375 mm by 275 mm (inclusive of 25 mm frame)
Newbery Altered - 375 mm by 300 mm (inclusive of 25 mm frame)  - approximately 5 mm smaller than panel recess into which it is fitted (panel recess 380 mm by 305 mm) fitted for Castrovalva and Black Orchid only.
TY-J (Mark I & II) - 365 mm by 290 mm (inclusive of 25 mm frame) - confirmed as accurate from measurements taken from the prop.

I don't know about the Hudolin or New Series Boxes I'm afraid but I do know that the BBC plans for the New Series Box available here on TB are incorrect.

T

Angelus Lupus

Very useful information, and I think that's the first time I've seen all those measurements in one place.
Would it be useful for future reference to include these dimensions in the info table?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

lofiscifi

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Jul 31, 2017, 07:57 pm
I don't know about the Hudolin or New Series Boxes I'm afraid but I do know that the BBC plans for the New Series Box available here on TB are incorrect.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Tony. I do have the actual production artwork for the 2005 door sign somewhere, however I'm going to try my own approximation of the others, so this is massively useful. Thanks once again!

tony farrell

I do like that - it is very convincing indeed!

T