Measurements for All Sonic & Laser Drivers

Started by dr octoroc, Dec 03, 2012, 09:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dr octoroc

Dec 03, 2012, 09:03 pm Last Edit: Mar 05, 2018, 05:30 pm by Scarfwearer
I've spent countless hours on multiple forums just to find glimpses of detailed measurements for these screwdriver props, so I decided to put a bunch of them into one printable PDF sheet for everyone to reference. I'm very open to corrections of the measurements and accuracy of these illustrations as I want them to be the best they can be so please, don't be shy to tell me I missed something or that a given measurement is wrong! Please only use this chart for personal reference. If you'd like to post it elsewhere or use it to build something that isn't just for you, please ask me first.

allSonics.jpg

Volpone

I'd like to see it with labels. It looks to me like the 4th Doctor prop is left of the 3rd Doctor one?  Or is the second one from the 1996 TV Movie? 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2012, 02:23 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012, 02:23 pm by galacticprobe
It would be nice to see the 9th Doctor's version of the sonic, with the wide slot for the button slider added to this fab collection of drawings. I think that sonic was slightly smaller than the 10th Doctor's version you have, which looks like the Series 3-4 sonic.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rasskin

to be very pedantic, I'd love to see a 2nd Dr. version here too as i'm not too sure how it would compare size-wise.

looks good though and thank you for sharing.

:)

dr octoroc

Dec 05, 2012, 05:54 am #4 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 06:00 am by dr octoroc
Quote from: volpone on Dec 04, 2012, 08:36 am
I'd like to see it with labels. It looks to me like the 4th Doctor prop is left of the 3rd Doctor one?  Or is the second one from the 1996 TV Movie?

You're correct, the Pertwee Screwdriver is to the right of the Baker one. Labels would help since I goofed on the order :-/

Quote from: galacticprobe on Dec 04, 2012, 02:23 pm
It would be nice to see the 9th Doctor's version of the sonic, with the wide slot for the button slider added to this fab collection of drawings. I think that sonic was slightly smaller than the 10th Doctor's version you have, which looks like the Series 3-4 sonic.

Dino.

I originally had the Eccleston sonic (the very first "Aztec" version with the button near the neck and manual) but omitted it so I could fit them all on a standard 'letter' sized piece of paper at the proper scale. As far as all of my research has lead me to conclude, all 9th and 10th screwdrivers were about the same size - 150mm in length, 18-19 mm around at the thickest point. I have seen varying accounts of thickness, however.

Quote from: rasskin on Dec 04, 2012, 02:38 pm
to be very pedantic, I'd love to see a 2nd Dr. version here too as i'm not too sure how it would compare size-wise.

looks good though and thank you for sharing.

:)

I have yet to look into the 2nd Doctor's sonic. In my research I've found many people that have stumbled upon a suitable pen light that resembles the prop close enough not to warrant building one from scratch and since these drawings occurred while building digital models for 3d print, I didn't bother with that one. I also ran out of room on the letter-sized page :-/

rubyredrick

Aug 26, 2015, 03:22 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2015, 03:23 am by rubyredrick
I just found this today, and I think I recognize all but one.

1 - 3rd, 4th and 5th Doctors
2 - 3rd
3 - 9th, 10th, and 11th (Hour)
4 - River Song
5 - ?
6 - 11th and 12th

So if anyone is still paying attention to this topic, what is #5?

kiwidoc

I think this topic long since died away but the 5th item is The Master's "Laser screwdriver" from the end of Series 3 with John Simm.