May 16, 2024, 01:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Jan 20, 2021, 07:30 pm #705 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 07:51 pm by russellsuthern
The next bit I wanted to do was when Tom gets grabbed by the Chloridians. (Sounds painful..)

cp8.jpg

So I made myself a pair of stocks:

cp7.jpg

I can just imagine the scene:

Russell: "In "Creature",, Romana wears a white, floaty dress... Oh, Hi guys, what are you doing here?"

Steve & Karst: "Quick! Grab him! Get the stocks on!"

cp9.jpg

Steve & Karst: "Right, you forced us into this... But the stocks don't come off until you promise NOT to dress up as Romana in a white, floaty dress!"

cp10.jpg

Russell: "Okay! I promise not to dress up as Romana in a white, floaty dress!"

Steve & Karst:  "Okay... We'll let you off this time, but we'll be watching you..!!"

Russell:  "Phew! That was a close one!!"

(Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
Apologies to Steve & Karsthotep for taking their names in vain...)

Best regards,

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: russellsuthern on Jan 20, 2021, 07:30 pmApologies to Steve & Karsthotep for taking their names in vain...)
At this stage I'm more worried about what you are going to do to Erato!!!

russellsuthern

Steve...
You're about to find out..  :o

Yes, It's time to address the elephant in the room (the big green elephant!)

There have been some spectacularly bad monsters in Dr Who, (both before & after!) but Erato certainly takes the biscuit!

A colossal disaster on all levels, but at least he's good for a laugh, which is why I'm going to have a stab...  ;D

First I attached a green sheet to a lightweight frame & painted some detailing on it:

cp11.jpg

Photographing in close up gives the illusion of size:

cp12.jpg

Add some green tinting to create an ominous glow:

cp13.jpg

I now have my very own Erato for my photoshoots!
(Mind you, I'd better be quick, he's getting through a sackful of garden waste every day!)

Cheers,

Russell

russellsuthern

Ooops-
Sorry, this is a day late, but better late than never....

141274038_5547964941884154_92710098433485208_o.jpg

87 yesterday!!!

Happy birthday, Tom-  We love you!!!!!   ;D  ;D

Cheers,

Russell

russellsuthern

Okayyy...

Let's stop beating around the bush...

We all know that THIS is the picture I'm trying to emulate:

cp14.jpg

I seem to remember an interview where Tom asserted that he was trying to emulate the "Horse Whisperer" or something like that... but let's face it, we all know what he was REALLY trying to do!!

Anyway, here's my version:

cp15.jpg

"Mmmmmm!... Tastes like 7-up......"

cp17.jpg

Hope I haven't shocked you too much, as there's more to come!

Regards,

Russell

redfern

At this point, the only thing that surprises me is the lack of a can of aerosol whipped cream hidden within that, uh, appendage!

Sincerely,

Bill

russellsuthern

Jan 22, 2021, 09:31 am #711 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2021, 09:59 am by russellsuthern
Funnily, just watched "Resurrection of the Daleks" on my marathon watchthrough...
Overall, a very grim episode, apart from the comedy foam squirting out of the Dalek casings when they get infected with the Movellan virus...!

Anyhow, the next picture I wanted to recreate is this one:

cp22.jpg

So I whipped up a quick Tythonian Translator.
Mine's a bit smaller than Erato's, but his was a MK I, whereas mine's a MK II.
As we all know, each new version gets smaller, plus mine's got picture messaging...

cp21.jpg

On to the pics:

"Ha! I have you now Doctor! You have fallen into my trap! Now I have control over your larynx, I can make a fortune doing voice overs!"

cp23.jpg

"Britain...Britain...Britain..."

cp27.jpg

That's all for now!

Thanks for looking in.  ;D

Russell

davidnagel

Absolutely amazing.

Though I'm sure some of those pictures are NSFW
Regards
David

redfern

I guess I was so hung up about the comedically lewd potential of Erato him/her/itself that I totally forgot about the Tythonian Translator.  One of the niftier concepts of that serial, overriding those tissues associated with speech (in story) and thus allowing some of the actors to play dual roles, both as their primary character and Erato.

I like how you painted the prismatic twinkles into the prop!  It's not just flat cardboard, is it?  I mean, there's the cylindar at the center which I assume was originally a disposable drinking cup, but those "crystals" encrusting the outer ring, they seem more than just a "painted" effect.  they appear to have "dimension".

Sincerely,

Bill

russellsuthern

Thanks, guys!

Believe it or not, the Tythonian translator is just painted onto flat card, although the paint is daubed on pretty thick.
The central knob is an old empty tin of paint covered in masking tape & glued on.

Glad you liked it.  :)

Cheers,

Russell

redfern

Quote from: russellsuthern on Jan 22, 2021, 02:09 pmBelieve it or not, the Tythonian translator is just painted onto flat card...

Really?!  Well, in that "showcase" photo, it honestly looks like you glued "nodules" of some sort upon the outer ring!  If viewed at an angle, the illusion might be "betrayed", but straight on, it's very convincing!

Sincerely,

Bill

russellsuthern

Thanks!

Thick acrylic paint can create a pretty convincing 3D effect.

Cheers!

Russ

Angelus Lupus

I agree with Bill about the convincing 3D effect! I can't recall if you've said previously, but I wouldn't be surprised if your skill with paint and cardboard has made you much in demand for theatre scenery!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

Jan 22, 2021, 05:26 pm #718 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2021, 05:28 pm by russellsuthern
Thanks!

I never did theater scenery, but it's a job I sure would have liked.

I did Art "A" level & did dabble with the idea of being an artist- but It's a tough field!
My genre was mostly comic strip & fantasy art. (You know- hugely muscled barbarians & scantily clad women- the kind of stuff a lot of young guys are into!)

My heroes were Frank Frazetta & Boris Vallejo- & I still think they are incredible!

I never got into digital art, preferring to stick to old fashioned, "real world" methods, although I know you can do some incredible stuff with computer art. (Just take a look at Tony Farrell's stuff!)

Now the predominant outlet for my artistic bent is painting backgrounds, standees & props for my cosplay thread, but once that is finished, I aim to get back into painting some standard pictures, probably mostly with a Dr Who theme.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too boring!!

Best regards,

Russell

Cardinal Hordriss

When will you be building the extension in which to store all these creations?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...