The 2nd Dr's War Games Sonic - NEW INFORMATION!

Started by mycroft, Jan 30, 2019, 04:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mycroft

Jan 30, 2019, 04:21 pm Last Edit: Jan 31, 2019, 11:48 am by mycroft
I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing the right thing. I thought I'd create a separate thread for discussion in light of the new data on the War Games prop   mentioned on this link. Out of respect to the author I've not cut +stuck his photos as requested but shouldn't stop us from sharing our thoughts on it.

https://thezeroroomblog.blogspot.com/?m=0IMG_20180905_234754_edit_edit_edit.png

karsthotep

Its hard to argue with the ever ready product manuals from the time period.   It would seem that this is in fact accurate information and research.   
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mycroft

Yes, I thought that too when I saw the catalogues.

All very annoying as this rare torch is even rarer to find now.  >:(

karsthotep

My only comment is I think the penlight he found is correct but it's missing a metal sleeve that goes over the white push switch.  I don't see white in the original photos, I see silver and it's slightly thicker.  So I personally think it's missing a part. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mycroft

You mean the clicker switch thing? I think if it was silver or metal it would be a different look in the War Games screen grab, almost grey?

I do remember that Eveready made bedside lights & they had small cap like buttons with white clickers, so maybe that was their standard. It's a cheap pen torch after all, so probably no expense spared from Eveready  :D

Did you ask him your question?

karsthotep

mycroft

You know I was thinking about what you said & had another look at those photos. I noticed that his hands are lighter than Troughton's, so therefore the cap is too? It needs a tweak with contrast I think to get a better comparison. That said, like you I'm not doubting the evidence presented.

karsthotep

Very possibly,  and looking at the catalog it does look thinner, so it could just be poor film quality making it appear thicker.  I am not questioning the findings and its undoubtedly the correct penlight.  The catalog does show it with the thinner whiter push button. 

mycroft

What I can't get over is now that it's been pointed out, all I can see is the whiter push button. It looks so obvious and looks nothing like the fatter blue on/off switch. How is it that we never spotted that before. Strange eh? :D

mycroft

On the plus side I have one of these, so it will be easier to convert than I had previously thought :) IMG_20190131_142745_edit.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

I bought a 60's penlight to serve as my Second Doctor sonic and then sometime later noticed it's the same type as the penlight used by the First Doctor in Edge of Destruction and possibly An Unearthly Child lol. Funny how things work out.

It was in props from the shops but I think it was moved to the reference section if anyone is interested.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

mycroft

Yeah go ahead. I'm a sucker for Penlights. I think I've seen a screen grab somewhere before of the one Hartnell used years ago, but can't quite recall it.

So go on & post or link it here. :)

Cardinal Hordriss

Found it. I forgot my profile listed all the threads I've started. It was in gadget gallery in the end.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7245
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

mycroft

Nice one! Thanks for the link.

It's a great Penlight and in great nick too :) You've just got to find this rarer Eveready torch now!!!! Two year in production only, that's gonna be an impossible task. :( I wonder if those members who have the replicas of the other version will adapt them? I think I would then I  could switch from one to the other.

karsthotep

The answer to that is yes,  we are.    ;D  glad this new information came to light.