Apr 16, 2024, 06:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

80s roundels

Started by vortexvisuals, Mar 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vortexvisuals

Here are my 80's roundels (my favourite round thing)

80s Roundel wallpaper_March2020.jpg

davidnagel

Regards
David

Volpone

That picture has just the slightest hint of the "uncanny valley" that it reminds me of an idea I mulled about the show:  Since the TARDIS can be reconfigured, they should just shoot all the interior scenes in a green room so they can use a CGI interior--and if it looks slightly digital and artificial, so much the better.  For that matter, the exterior, they could just do a green box so that they can change exterior details subtly throughout the series. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

vortexvisuals

I decided to add some roundel innards, albeit with some artistic license due to poor video resolution... 

roundel2 copy_reduced.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Excellent! Here's a few more you could do :)

dwtardisroundel.gif

PlanetOfFire.jpg

AttackOfCybermen.jpg

Timelash.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

vortexvisuals

Thank you very much. Oh yes, I plan to make a few of the others (thanks for the screenshots)

Rassilons Rod

I'm sure the one in attack had the innards of a BBC model B behind it. You could even see the keyboard as I recall.

Unfortunately in my googling, I didn't come across a decent shot in my googling.
Public Enema Number One.

Angelus Lupus

Looking at these pictures: there are far more types/sizes of roundels than I thought!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Rassilons Rod

They're all based on the season 14.

The mods are:

Some of the original walls were painted grey all over (later, the roundels were painted yellow).

Colins ones were just missing.

I think thats it until Season 26 where there are no roundels, just crap stand in walls with holes in and some diffusing material in the back.

Other walls with fresh pulls of roundels had the hinged fronts.

The temperature one comes out completely.

Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Vale

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Mar 29, 2020, 09:10 pm
I think thats it until Season 26 where there are no roundels, just crap stand in walls with holes in and some diffusing material in the back.

It's not even that sophisticated, sadly, because that would at least have had welcome echoes of some of the 70s interiors. The walls are literally plastic sheets under tension, with roundels painted on. Even given that the room is dark and it was intended for viewing on 1980s CRT TVs it must have looked ropey.

redfern

Maybe I was just playing more attention to the narrative, but when I saw those episodes on PBS around 1990, I had no idea those were "draped" backdrops.  (And to clarify, I was not a young kid, I was in my late 20s).  Now, if I watched them again now and had not learned their true nature, I might have noticed something was 'off", but at the time, the effect fooled me.

Sincerely,

Bill

moonbeam

Me too, I just remember how cool it looked in semi darkness without the brightness if you no what I mean.

Volpone

Anyone got a screencap?  I didn't get to see any of the last season until a few years ago--still haven't seen "Ghost Light."  The Internet was not helpful. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

Here is a screenshot from Battlefield

console-s26.jpg
Public Enema Number One.