The Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS (Original) (1980)

Started by Dematerialiser, Feb 12, 2009, 02:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

darren79

Mar 14, 2014, 06:42 pm #30 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 06:43 pm by darren79
And it's final airing in Ghost Light:

PDVD_001-1.jpg
PDVD_017-1.jpg
PDVD_018-1.jpg

Kingpin

Quote from: darren79 on Mar 14, 2014, 06:36 pm
PDVD_026.JPG

She looks so at home plonked on that street corner. :)

I need to rewatch Dimensions in Time, and see which box they used.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: darren79 on Mar 14, 2014, 06:22 pm
Doubling as a police box in Wales.
PDVD_027 (2).JPG
PDVD_028 (2).JPG
This is interesting...

I remember reading something posted by Timerotor stating that the phone sign was stuck on the Mk1 depending on which side of the box they were using for filming (hence the constantly moving handle positions depending on wheter they were shooting from Front or the rear...

Now i've seen pictures over the years that support this, with the box pictured with open doors, but no phone housing sign in place (a couple of the survival pictures below show the "rear" doors without the phone panel...)

Its interesting to see the mark1 with a hinged phone panel, and a compartment inside for a telephone...

Here are a couple of shots I've taken of the Mark 1 from the DW Experience...

Firstly back in 2011, from the front...

TARDIS2_zps1d691fce.jpg

And then from last year in Cardiff, with the rear side on display...

IMG_1005_zps3dbcbd42.jpg

(love that picture... ;))

And a close up of the rear panel...

IMG_1002_zpsc4d4ed72.jpg

In both cases there are no hinges on the signage, so somewhere along the line there must have been maintenance carried out on the box, with the phone housing removed and a flat panel fixed in its place...

(you can see additional handle screw holes on the rear phone door as well...)

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: darren79 on Mar 14, 2014, 06:36 pm
Survival:

It seems that the door handle returned after it's absence in Battlefield.

PDVD_026.JPG
PDVD_027.JPG
PDVD_033.JPG

Are we sure this is the mark 1? the door lock seems to be in a different position in the rear doors...

Kingpin

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Mar 15, 2014, 06:54 pm
In both cases there are no hinges on the signage, so somewhere along the line there must have been maintenance carried out on the box, with the phone housing removed and a flat panel fixed in its place...

(you can see additional handle screw holes on the rear phone door as well...)

The MKII is on display at the Experience, the TARDIS prop in Delta and the Bannerman was the MKI.

fivefingeredstyre

Aha... I had a look at the thread and I see you're right

Curse my terrible memory! :D

Do we know if the Mk1 still retained its hinged phone panel to the end?

darren79

Mar 16, 2014, 10:51 am #36 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2014, 09:34 pm by darren79
I've just noticed that it seems that at some point, the door lock on the rear doors moved from the left door to the right one as well as losing that separating strip between the doors (what's that called?:)).

And I see that the back doors as seen in Survival, were the front doors in Silver Nemesis.

Here's some shots of MKI from Mindwarp (un-Paintboxed wide shot included).

PDVD_019-1.jpg
PDVD_000-1.jpg
PDVD_017-1.jpg

Volpone

One thing that strikes me is that the TYJ isn't incredibly different from the Brachaki. I mean, yes, there are too many distinguishing differences to mention, but the general proportions are pretty similar--certainly compared to the Newbery,the 1966 refit, or the new series boxes. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

So.  The center divider remnant.  The lamp base changes a couple times in the history of the prop.  The other thing, the thing I notice when someone does a TYJ replica or model, is there's a little bit of the strip that divides the panels/doors, up above the signs.  However I don't see that in the still from "The Leisure Hive" or the Davison publicity photos.

My first impulse was that it was hidden behind the signs and when they changed the sign it became visible but that doesn't look to be the case.  Am I making sense?  Any theories? 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Kingpin

One possible explanation for the bit's absence is that it's only present on one side of the TARDIS prop.

Volpone

It has doors on both sides, right?  Because it isn't over the doors in some shots and is in others. 
-The Doctor.

DoctorWho8

Yes, front and back were doors, with the central divider on different doors on each set.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Kingpin

Quote from: volpone on May 31, 2014, 02:53 am
It has doors on both sides, right?  Because it isn't over the doors in some shots and is in others. 

Yep.  As I said it's possible they only put the divider above the sign box on one "door" side.

darren79

Jun 24, 2014, 08:28 pm #43 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2014, 08:29 pm by darren79
Thought I'd add a few shot of the box from Earthshock since I was watching it the other day.

PDVD_005.JPG
PDVD_006.JPG
PDVD_007.JPG
PDVD_009.JPG
PDVD_010.JPG

ionsith

I feel like my eyes are deceiving me... but on a few of the pics (like the McCoy promo) the centre bar across the window looks thicker than the two verticle ones. I don't know of any other prop where that happens and I'm loathe to think this is an exceptin, as I'm sure it would have been mentioned before now. Trick of the light?