May 15, 2024, 06:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sign Box to Corner Post attachment method

Started by Elvis Gump, Dec 30, 2015, 04:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Gump

Dec 30, 2015, 04:20 am Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 03:06 am by warmcanofcoke
I've been searching the forum for images or references to how the most recent Capaldi TARDIS prop seems to have changed from using a door hinge to attach the sign boxes that previous props used to what seems to be a slot and plate to drop them down between the posts. This seems to make for a mechanically simpler and quick connection. I had previously downloaded some images to study later (lost them this spring in a hard drive crash!) and can't seem after searching for hours at a chunk over the holidays for them again.

If this has been addressed in a thread I can't find it no matter how I word a search of the forums.
I found this photo from the filming of "LISTEN" where the crew is assembling it outside the restaurant where the slots cut into the columns are visible.
slots1.jpg

It looks like the spot where the hinge might have previously been attached is the white unpainted blue area to me.
Slot01.jpg

The attachment added to the sign box seems to be a a metal T shaped
Slot02.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to other pictures of this attachment method and/or has utilized this in their box. I'm eager to finish my box as I finally have all the lumber and time to finish it. I'd like to do something simpler like this, but I'm wondering what methods others have used for a TARDIS like the prop.

type40

Hi!  Is your box going to be going outside?  If it is it may be a good idea to ignore the methods of construction for the actual prop as they will mainly be focusing on keeping the rigidity after having to take down and re assemble many times. It looks to me like the locating method used is to eliminate the use of screws/bolts.

There seems to be an 'angled tenon' block at the back of sign box which simply slides down into the same shape 'female groove' on the top of the posts posts  The reason for the angled piece is so that the sign box will always naturally draw itself into the panel and posts as it is slid into position, giving a nice close fit it also means the joins will lock into place and can't be pulled apart from the sides.

The only problem issue that I can see with this method is that it will need to be well sealed at the top if kept outside, as water can run inside the joins and potentially into the box. Or worse still sit unnoticed in the join itself.  I suppose the roof itself may be able to cover this whole join. Another idea would be to fix the sign boxes to the roof first and slide the whole lot onto the panels and posts.  Or to fit the sign boxes to the panels first.   

Elvis Gump

Mine's going to be an inside kitty that can be disassembled.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5512
I gathered all the things you explained, I'm just searching for reference pics of the actual current prop to replicate it and if anyone else has tried this with their build or come up with a better alternative. Like I said I was going to use the hinge method for the sign box to post method that was used in earlier props, but would rather try this one...

type40

Love the build so far mate! Looking very nice!  Always a better situation to not have to worry about the elements! 

Elvis Gump

Jan 29, 2016, 07:03 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016, 07:21 pm by Elvis Gump
Just thought I'd post this video here of the quickness of assembly this new sign box to corner post attachment makes possible:

If this sparks anyone's memory of if the bracket that seems to be used for this might be an of-the-shelf item, I'd sure love to know what it is. I'm thinking about trying to get my brother to help me weld some up if all else fails from some scrap metal we have laying about.

gs

I just started building a TARDIS (and just became a tardisbuilders member earlier this month) and have been looking at various methods for mounting the sign boxes.  The 'slot and plate' approach does appear to simplify the assembly process but might need some sort of removable post cap to prevent rain water problems.  Based on the pictures posted by Elvis it looks like they may have used an 'off-the-shelf' part available from OnlineMetals.com.  Their Aluminum T-Bar is available in two thicknesses and standard lengths ranging from 1 foot to 8 feet and it can be ordered in custom lengths.  Based on the pictures I am guessing the prop used a 1.5" x 1.5" T-Bar.  Here is a link to Online Metals 6063-T52 Aluminum T-Bar https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=20646&step=4&showunits=inches&id=929&top_cat=60