Mar 29, 2024, 01:27 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 TARDIS Phone

Started by cowhotrod, Jan 22, 2007, 09:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cowhotrod

Jan 22, 2007, 09:56 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 07:10 pm by Scarfwearer
Appolgies if this has been asked a million times but does anybody know what type of telephone was used for the 2005/6 TARDIS?

If anyone knows it would be appreciated. I need to find a photo so i can make a scale replica.

Many thanks

Chris.

indemnis4

Jun 08, 2007, 11:27 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:47 pm by scarfwearer
Check this baby out.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250124760106&rd=1&rd=1

TG

May 19, 2008, 10:14 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:00 am by Scarfwearer
I'm sure we had a thread with pictures of the NS TARDIS phone but I can't find it  :-/

I just wondered what all you NS builders were going to use for the phone (if you want one, that is)

Anyone going to make one?

Do the beeb have more than one NS TARDIS phone prop?

willytron

May 19, 2008, 08:43 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:49 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: timegirl board=discussion thread=738 post=13875 time=1211215082Do you have any good reference pictures Rizla?

I was idly googling this morning but I could only find this one.

tinkle.jpg
Picture copyright of BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/making/whospy/week16.shtml

I saw a phone just like that on ebay the other day, don't remeber the price - but it wasn't too much.

blindsquirrel

May 17, 2007, 05:47 am #4 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 10:57 am by Scarfwearer
I am building a scale model of the new TARDIS and thought I might put in the phone as seen in "The Empty Child". When I made some screen caps I about fell over to see that the phone is mounted ON THE DOOR, not in the compartment.

Is this how the actual Police Boxes mounted the phone or were they just changing it for the episode? I would prefer to mount it in the compartment but if that's how they wer made, I'll go with it.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of the phone compartment of a real box? I'd like to see what else they put in there.

dalethetimelord

May 17, 2007, 07:53 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:51 pm by scarfwearer
There's a dial-less phone, and usually instructions on how to use the phone in case the user is hard of thinking... and the TARDIS the only phone mounted on the door I've ever seen...

chrisrowand

May 17, 2007, 08:16 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:51 pm by scarfwearer
Glasgow boxes didn't even have a phone as such. They had a talk grill, like a Burger King Drive-Thru device.
This was to deter drunken Scots from trying to break the phone in the first place.

rizla

Jun 29, 2008, 12:02 pm #7 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:52 pm by scarfwearer
The phone on the new series TARDIS is supposed to be a tele121 phone, but it is not what was in the REAL boxes, Dale is spot on a dial-less phone with instructions. Bakerlite - on a shelf.

Rox

Aug 06, 2008, 10:43 am #8 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 09:23 pm by Scarfwearer
Trawling through all the info on the TARDIS I can find [I'm building a 3/4 sized new series style TARDIS - nowhere near as good as the work on this site, the build so far has been 'by eye' and down to the materials I have - so the doors are six feet tall instead of the much bigger TV size], I'm trying to get some clear photos of the phone that's mounted on the back of the door so I can make a replica for the inside of the door in my TARDIS.... [I'm hoping I can get it to play the audio from Empty Child when someone picks up the receiver!]

I found a half photo of the phone from the BBC website [only shows the top half], and then there's the shots in Empty Child of CE using it, but I can't really see it well enough to get a grasp on the details.

tinkle.jpg

From what I can work out it's a Hotel Style Wall Mounted Bell Box with Candlestick receiver.  No idea on make, model or what those two dials at the bottom are, because I can't get a decent picture of it.  It's similar to the one on the left, except the TARDIS one has two dials [I think] at the bottom.

types_of_phones.gif

Anyone have any decent pics or info?  I'd be very grateful...  :)

Also, I noticed that for interior shots of the TARDIS the door with the phone on is white, but in The Empty Child the phone door when opened is blue...!!  I know people have probably mentioned it before...  :D

The more I look at the BBC photo, the more I think it's been made for the TARDIS [ie, they haven't just bought a bell box off eBay, but made one] just to look old, because....

A] The Bells look like they couldn't possibly ring as they seem to touch the wood at the bottom, and wouldn't resonate at all.

B]  To ring, the hammer in the centre should be able to move - that one looks like a small bolt...

C]  The 'bell' receiver is the wrong shape, hence why it's upside down in the cradle; if it were the right way up, it'd fall out of the cradle.

D]  The "bell" receiver just looks cobbled together...

E]  Most of these phones tend to have straight wire, not curly and goes into the box at the bottom - not the side.

Further opinions / observations etc welcome!
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

mordrogyn

Sep 01, 2008, 09:46 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 01:54 pm by scarfwearer
I've been looking at it and attempting to draw up some plans, not sure if they are anywhere near, but I think the body of the phone is 8" by 5.5" going by the space it occupies on the door.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

rizla

May 19, 2008, 11:36 am #10 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 10:58 am by scarfwearer
Wow, you must have read my mind TG, I was looking on the great Ebay for one, but am drawing a blank at the moment. The closest telephone to the one on the NST is a tele121. Although the one on the TARDIS in the new series does not have a dial.

They appear on Ebay from time to time, but the prices are quite high.

I may make one, as the only external feature are a box, two bells and the receiver.

TG

May 19, 2008, 04:38 pm #11 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 10:59 am by Scarfwearer
Do you have any good reference pictures Rizla?

I was idly googling this morning but I could only find this one.

tinkle.jpg
Picture copyright of BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/making/whospy/week16.shtml

rizla

May 19, 2008, 05:51 pm #12 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 10:59 am by scarfwearer
Yes, this is a Tele 121:-

[noimg]http://www.o-v-p.com/TARDIS/t121cb.jpg[/img]

Hope it helps!

I suspect that the phone used on the NST is a made up version based on the Tele 121.

kiwidoc

Jan 22, 2007, 10:11 pm #13 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:49 pm by scarfwearer
It has been asked before and I don't think anyone has come up with a definitive answer - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a fake phone bodged up out of parts strictyl as a prop.  Certianly the curly wire is not authentic to a wall phone of that age and the bells don't seem to have a ringer...   Can't help with caps since I'm at work currently (working reaaaal hard...).

- glen

Quote from: cowhotrod board=general thread=1169503015 post=1169503015Appolgies if this has been asked a million times but does anybody know what type of telephone was used for the 2005/6 TARDIS?

If anyone knows it would be appreciated. I need to find a photo so i can make a scale replica.

Many thanks

Chris.

cowhotrod

Jan 23, 2007, 08:58 am #14 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:49 pm by scarfwearer
So it's now been asked a million and one times now then  ;D

Well I'll be bodging one out of what ever I can find/make if only I could find a photo or screen shot  :(

If I can't find one you will have to forgive me for making one from my imagination.  ::)