New, New TardisBuilders!

Alien Currencies of Doctor Who

Started by The14thDr, Jul 08, 2017, 06:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

33814.jpg
The Ribos Operation

Gold Opeks

GARRON: I am only in a modest way of business myself, but I have a colleague who is carrying a very substantial sum. In excess of a million gold opeks.
CAPTAIN: A million?
GARRON: More than a million.
CAPTAIN: That could mean trouble.
GARRON: My words exactly. I mean, it's putting temptation in the way of dishonest citizens. There's so much lawlessness
CAPTAIN: If word of that were to get out
GARRON: We could be murdered in our beds. Now, what I was thinking was, sir, if he could be persuaded to deposit the money in a safe place, such as here, for example.
CAPTAIN: Nowhere safer, that's for sure.
GARRON: That's what I told him, sir. I mean, here it could be guarded by your men all day, your Shrieves at arms, and by the beast at night, along with the jewels and relics. What better security, I ask you. I mean, no one would dare to try to steal in here, would they?
CAPTAIN: As you say, no one would dare. They know the penalties.
GARRON: Well, what do you say, Captain? Hmm? To avoid trouble?
CAPTAIN: It's extremely irregular. This relic room is a holy place.
GARRON: Well, naturally we'd make a small contribution to the funds. Say one hundred gold opeks?
CAPTAIN: One hundred opeks?
GARRON: Or even a thousand. I'd leave it to you, of course, to handle the, er, paying in.
CAPTAIN: And for how long would this money stay here?
GARRON: Oh, only for a night or two. Maybe even only for one night.
CAPTAIN: Bring the money later.
GARRON: I am deeply obliged, Captain. Deeply obliged. I'll go and tell my colleague.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Ghostlight

Victoria 01.jpgVictoria 02.jpgVictoria 03.jpgVictoria 04.jpg

ACE: Excuse me!
(Josiah closes the door after her.)
JOSIAH: I must speak with you.
(Ace runs downstairs and notices the lift standing open. Mrs Pritchard watches her get inside and operate it, and smiles.)
JOSIAH: I need your help, Doctor.
DOCTOR: Yes. It can't be easy being so far away from home, struggling to adapt to an alien environment.
JOSIAH: My roots are in this house. I'm as human as you are.
DOCTOR: Yes.
JOSIAH: I'm afflicted with an enemy, a vile and base creature pitted against me. It's waiting for me now. I believe that you can assist me in defeating it.
(Smith offers the Doctor a bundle of white bank notes.)
DOCTOR: I'm not interested in money. How much?
JOSIAH: Five thousand pounds to rid me of the evil brute.
DOCTOR: (whistles) Now that's what I call Victorian value. But I'm still not interested in money.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 08, 2017, 08:27 am
The "mechanical bug" is a modified Zoid , some legs removed and painted black.

Do you know which "Zoid" it is or are they all similar? Just in case anyone was interested in getting one.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

Jul 11, 2017, 05:34 am #33 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 06:10 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jul 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
I remember the Doctor is charged for a book in the Big Finish audio Omega.

A little OT, but I remember back in the late 1980s/early 1990s or so there was talk of a 'Doctor Who' feature film, with the actor to play the Doctor yet to be cast, but with Caroline Munro having already been cast as a TARDIS technician to be his companion for that adventure.

(Found it! Excerpt:)
By 1990 Coast To Coast Productions had changed their name to Green Light, and both Moore and Lester had left the project. Several alternate actors had been approached for the leading role, including Tim Curry, John Cleese, Albert Finney, Pierce Brosnan and Denholm Elliot. Three others seemed to have been serious contenders to portray the Doctor, they were Alan Rickman, Rutger Hauer and Donald Sutherland. At this time Caroline Munro (Naomi in The Spy Who Loved Me) became the first 'official' cast member, when she was signed up to play Cora, a new Gallifreyan companion for the Doctor.
(Info courtesy of Warped Factor Web Site.)

Some may also know Munro as Margiana in "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", or as Carla in "Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter". (Can't quite see some of those actors as the Doctor, though: Tim Curry? Nah. John Cleese? Done in the spirit of Basil Fawlty, sure. Albert Finney? Great actor, but a bit too stocky. Pierce Brosnan? Possible. Denholm Elliot (Marcus Brody from the Indiana Jones films)? Yeah... after seeing his performance in "The Last Crusade", he could have pulled it off. Alan Rickman? Oh yeah! Rutger Hauer? Seriously? Donald Sutherland? Again, seriously? Others are mentioned as possibles in the article, which is interesting for those that had never heard of this, some good ideas, some not so good.

But sadly the 'Doctor Who' film project fell by the wayside. So I find it interesting that Munro got to star in a Big Finish 'Who' production. (Good things come to those who wait.)

Okay... Drift Compensators adjusted... now back on track with the topic.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Doctor-Who-Survival.jpg
(The Doctor walks outside with an armful of cat food.)
DOCTOR: Did you find your friends, then?
ACE: No one even remembers them.
DOCTOR: I'm sure I've forgotten something.
LEN: Oi, haven't you forgotten something?
DOCTOR: Yes.
LEN: Money.
DOCTOR: No, it wasn't that.
ACE: I got lucky on the fruit machine.
(Ace has a pile of coins on the table outside the pub.)
DOCTOR: Lucky?
ACE: Well, they're all fixed anyway, those machines.

Davros Skaro

Chris.

davidnagel

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Jul 24, 2017, 02:56 am
Was just looking for figurines  from "The Planet of Fire" & found these, interesting: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Planet-of-fire-coin-set-resin-scifi-Who-prop-replica-cosplay-5th-doctor-/192228953250?hash=item2cc1bd0ca2:g:1lgAAOSwIWVY~fD

Chris.

I have these. They're a good copy but a bit on the large side I think.
Regards
David