May 15, 2024, 11:05 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tempus Fugit's TARDIS Build

Started by Tempus Fugit, Jul 12, 2012, 03:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempus Fugit

TARDISblue.jpg

Hmmmm. The paint is a good colour but too shiny. It's Dulux Weathershield Opaque I had specially mixed, but the finish is on the wrong side of satin I think. Still, it's clearly good exterior paint so I'll try and deaden the shine a bit with an acrylic-based filth wash or think again.

daveninja

if the Tardis is going to live outside, then dust will get on it and reduce the glossiness.

looking good!

Tempus Fugit

Thanks! Actually yes, I was a bit previous - it seems the paint is already dulling down and looks splendid. Painting the roof tomorrow, and installing the box in situ, so photos imminent....

Tempus Fugit

Hey! Nearly there and I'm so excited......

Nearly-there.jpg

Volpone

Quote from: Tempus Fugit on Aug 07, 2012, 10:09 pm
Thanks! Actually yes, I was a bit previous - it seems the paint is already dulling down and looks splendid. Painting the roof tomorrow, and installing the box in situ, so photos imminent....

Good news on the paint.  That said, if/when you finally decide to "weather" it, I'm a big believer in a spray bottle.  I'd been monkeying about with rags and chalk/pastels and had some interesting effects of highlights and shadows, but it still wasn't quite "popping."  Then one day while I was tinkering I stepped on the tube of black artist's acrylic I'd left open on the ground, spilling out a huge glop.  I had an empty glass cleaner bottle laying around so I managed to get the black paint into it.  Then I added some water and shook it up and sprayed it on.  Like your paint job at first I was nervous because it went on really dark but then it lightened nicely as it dried, leaving a mottled effect to the paint. 

The only challenge is that the sprayer eventually started to clog.  After cleaning it a couple times I wound up just squeezing the bottle as I pumped the sprayer and the added pressure seemed to do the job. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.