News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lego classic console room

Started by scotland yard, Nov 16, 2019, 06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scotland yard

Nov 16, 2019, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Nov 16, 2019, 07:25 pm by scotland yard
Greetings to you all.

So, I've made a LEGO TARDIS. I know my lego roundels are rectangular instead of, well, roundels, but I just simply don't have circle pieces in LEGO.

1.JPG
2.JPG

The main configuration consists of the door wall and two roundel walls joined with hinges, but it has two more additional walls. There's another "roundel" wall with a door to the rest of the TARDIS.

5.JPG

And a fault locator. I know, it doesn't look anything like the fault locator, but those big half circle pieces reminded me of the top of the fault locator, so I decided to make it anyway. It's not accurate, but it looks the part (at least to me).
4.JPG

6.JPG

And here is the complete set:

7.JPG

However, much like the real thing, it is rarely assembled completely due to lack of space, and it usually sits in a shelf like this:

3.JPG

But now, to the only part of this build which has a resemblance to the real thing: the console.

8.JPG
9.JPG

The console isn't based off any particular model of the console, because it is nearly impossible to be accurate at this size in LEGO, but I think it still looks good, and it's nondescriptiveness allows me to think it is the console of whatever classic Doctor I happen to be watching.

Unlike some LEGO consoles you find online, I wanted mine to have six panels and be as close to a hexagon as possible, so I came up with this: as a hexagon is made of six equilateral triangles, the radius of the hexagon has to be the same as the length of the outer side (wich in this case is two LEGO widths), so we get a radius of 2 LEGO widths, and so the diameter is four LEGO widths. The console sits on a tiled base with two dots protruding in the centre, and these make a 4-LEGO width radius.

So here's the base:

10.JPG

And then I use the dots to make a perfect hexagon for the panels.

11.JPG

The problem with this metod is that you can't directly attach the console to the floor, but that's no problem. The four dots in the centre of the console are used to place a column with a dish on top of it, so that the console doesn't fall off. It also covers the ugly gaps between the panels and the hinges that allow them to be angled.

12.JPG

The dot on top of the dish is then used to place the time rotor. Besides the blue and yellow translucent time rotor that is normally in place, I also have one based on a column.

13.JPG

And a black time rotor for when it needs to be the Master's TARDIS (I don't think his TARDIS ever had a black time rotor, at least up until what I have seen. But it certainly seems fitting).

14.JPG

Here are some black and white shots for my LEGO figures of the first and second Doctor:

15.JPG

16.JPG

And then my little brother started to play with it. A certain Doctor was angry that is effectiveness was halved (wrong costume, but I'm not going to attempt to make all the variants of Pertwee's outfit)

17.JPG

Hope you've moved on from the rectangular roundels and liked it.

See you around.

Andy.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

kutan66

Like the scene recreations, esp the b&w ones!

I splashed out the other month and bought my little feller the Lego Smith/Capaldi Tardis + Console set.   It kept him quiet for over 3 hours!    He likes your console room too.

scotland yard

Thank you!

I was planning on recreating some scenes, maybe even some from the missing episodes.
My little brother likes the console as well, but unlike the LEGO set, he can't pick it up and whoosh it around, but that doesn't keep him from trying it, so the console room spends most of its time as the TARDIS in the Time Robber: destroyed.
Oh my giddy aunt!!