May 13, 2024, 04:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

St. John Ambulance sign

Started by retfordlad, Aug 02, 2005, 01:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

littlekentucky

Nov 25, 2008, 04:58 pm #120 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 04:51 pm by scarfwearer
These posts are very helpful.  What would you all suggest this sign be made of?  I plan on getting quotes from a local sign shop in the next month or so and would like to have my 'ducks' in a row so to speak.

DoctorWho8

Nov 25, 2008, 05:52 pm #121 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 04:51 pm by scarfwearer
They were probably originally painted metal.  But you could get by with plastic.
Bill Rudloff

mechanoid

Quote from: hb88banzai on Jul 28, 2006, 04:26 pm
And on the Hartnell front, this is a modern button from Canada -

th_StJohnButtonModern-Can.jpg

Not quite a seal, but close.  Interesting, I think I've seen more "beastless" St. John crosses out of Canada than anywhere else - but then they often also put a maple leaf behind it.  Also, more often than not, the animal art they have used over the years often seemed much cruder - almost cartoonish.

Sydney Newman was Canadian! So....

hb88banzai

Aug 21, 2010, 10:10 am #123 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:24 am by hb88banzai
It would appear the Hartnell box was ahead of its time. Recently St. John Ambulance has started using a new logo sans lions & unicorns and without wording in the circular device.

SJA-device-60.jpg

hb88banzai

Aug 21, 2010, 10:54 am #124 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:56 am by hb88banzai
An interesting find . . .

Earl's Court Police Box c. 1999 -

Earl's_Court_c._1999.JPG

What appears to be an exact match to the St. John plaque used on the Earl's Court Box -

St_John_Plaque-Earls_Court_Type.JPG

I'll post an actual scan of this (with measurements) when I dig my scanner out from under.

hb88banzai

Sep 21, 2010, 01:57 pm #125 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 02:05 pm by hb88banzai
The St. John Plaque on the timber Police Box that was on display at the Radiolympia Exposition (1936) - (courtesy of markofrani) -

Olympia-StJohn-CloseupCrop.JPG

The St. John Plaque from a Mark 3 Police Box in the process of being refurbished (c. 1950 to early 1960s) -

Mark3-StJohn-CloseupCrop.JPG

The St. John Plaque on the Cushing movie TARDIS (1965) -

Cushing-StJohn-ClosupCrop.JPG

There are some minor differences, but many of the details are very close on all three. That said, I'd say the Cushing and Mark 3 plaques are a bit closer to each other than to the 1936 version, though again all three appear much closer to each other than to any of the other St. John plaque designs I've seen.

markofrani

Here's a badge from a 1948 Police box...
1948box_sjbadge.jpg

hb88banzai

Sep 22, 2010, 12:31 am #127 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 07:13 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: markofrani on Sep 21, 2010, 11:25 pm
Here's a badge from a 1948 Police box...

markofrani - again, wow! That's a closeup from that wonderful pic with the right-hinged phone door and the Bobby holding it open. I was wondering how good that pic got, now I know.

I don't suppose you can post a pic of that phone door somewhere?

Anyway - the St. John appears identical in most respects to the Olympia badge, except the animals are very subtly different. Fascinating. Hadn't noticed before that it had four screws as well.

Edit: Moved my other comments on this photo to the Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 3? thread (link below) as they seemed more apropos there -
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2090.msg20604#msg20604

flaming cog

Does anyone have a good estimate for the logo on the Matt Smith box's diameter?

Thank you
Luke
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

galacticprobe

Nov 23, 2010, 08:00 am #129 Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010, 08:07 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: flaming cog on Nov 22, 2010, 10:44 pm
Does anyone have a good estimate for the logo on the Matt Smith box's diameter?

Thank you
Luke

It looks to be 5 inches in diameter, just like the Hartnell logo was. When you compare it to an image of an actual Police Box (or the Cushing Box, which were specified in the blueprints for 6-inch logos) the TV TARDIS' logos are visibly smaller.

BTW, if you'd like a logo to use in a build, PM me. I've got logos for Hartnell, Cushing, and Matt Smith created and sized.

I'd be more than happy to send them to you. I've already sent them to a few members and then seemed to be very pleased with them (although, if you read Scott's post here - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1123.75 - after I posted the Hartnell logo I created, he seemed a little frustrated... btw, Scott, nice bleeping FX in that one! ;D).

The Smith logo took some tweaking to get it just right (thanks for the help on that, Ben!), but we finally got it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Just had a crazy idea - I often have sung the praises of Spoonflower.com for making custom fabric - I've made a lot of Doctor Who Fabric in my time. - Now they are branching out into wallpaper and wall decals - Maybe we should upload a St. John Ambulance logo up and see what sort of quality they can provide. http://www.spoonflower.com/create - I suppose other Tardis type signs could also be made. 
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Sep 25, 2012, 04:01 pm #131 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 pm by galacticprobe
Nate, let me know if you want the high-res versions of my Hartnell and Matt Smith St. John logos to upload. (The Cushing logo, which is basically the real Police Box logo, I've also got, but it's not as high-res since I didn't create it: I found it through Google Images.)

For accuracy, you'd have to size the Hartnell and Smith logos to 5-inch diameter (they're quite large in their JPEG form). The Cushing/Police Box logo would have to be enlarged a little to the 6-inch diameter since I couldn't find a very large one.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

I'll take all three - I just need to know the size they have to print out as.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

deck5

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 25, 2012, 04:01 pm
For accuracy, you'd have to size the Hartnell and Smith logos to 5-inch diameter (they're quite large in their JPEG form). The Cushing/Police Box logo would have to be enlarged a little to the 6-inch diameter since I couldn't find a very large one.

I believe, from my recent work, that the logo on the Hartnell box is 4.5" across, not 5".

galacticprobe

Sep 26, 2012, 05:27 am #134 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2012, 05:28 am by galacticprobe
Now I'll have to check on the size of the Hartnell and Smith logos. I thought I read in one of my books or in a history of the prop that the Hartnell logo was 5 inches (certainly smaller than that on a real box), and that the Matt Smith logo was the same size. ???

Dino.