New, New TardisBuilders!

The Pale Green Console and Set

Started by tony farrell, Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Nov 02, 2013, 03:39 am #165 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2013, 03:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 01, 2013, 07:17 pm
This is excellent news!

Looking at the colour chart above, this makes the lighting column tinted panels the equivalent of 7T22 or something very similar.

Tony, since you've gone through all of this magnificent research on the original Hartnell Console Room (and it magnificent!), and now seem to be as spot on as possible with this tinted perspex panel for those on the sides of the "light towers", have you any ideas on what the front frosted perspex panels were color-wise: plain, white frosted, or tinted with a pale color? (Forgive me if this was already discussed, but I'm having trouble finding it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Nov 02, 2013, 10:39 am #166 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2013, 10:46 am by Tony Farrell
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Aug 15, 2013, 08:38 pm
Thanks to Marc for pointing me towards this.

A bit more information for fact fans:

TX32 = "television white"/off-white - source Barry Newbery (Documentary on Aztecs Special Edition DVD).
TX35 = dark (Tardis) blue - source Rescue and Romans DVD (PDF for 3rd scale model Tardis plans).
TX38 = pale blue/white - source Rescue and Romans DVD (PDF for 3rd scale model Tardis, St John's Ambulance wide border).
TX39 = slate grey(?) - source Rescue and Romans DVD (PDF for 3rd scale model Tardis, St John's Ambulance narrow/inner border).  
TX40 = pale (Silvan) green - source BBC Tardis Interior set plans (courtesy of Rob49152).

3rd scale box plans.png
3rd scale box detail.png
And from The Space Museum - the model Tardis dirtied down:
3rd scale police box.png

I've been sent this but don't have permission to post except to add to our knowledge of the colours used. This is part of the set plan for the junkyard for the Pilot Episode - the plans state production number 2042 with a recording date of 27.09.63 (Designer Peter Brachaki).
junkyard colours2.png
Assuming the production of An Adventure in Space and Time has reproduced the junkyard gates faithfully then TX27 is a pale grey/blue colour (the lighter 'dragged' streaks) whilst TX28 is the darker (main) blue of the gates. TX34 is the colour of the lamposts (what a pity we don't have any contemporary colour photos of the set).
junkyard colours3.png

In answer to Dino, I don't know the colour of the lighting columns' side panels (the 'V' shaped ones) but, it would almost certainly be the same as the roundel mouldings i.e., a slightly grey off-white colour as per the photo from the Keys of Marinus DVD.
marinus.png

Tony

tony farrell

Nov 02, 2013, 10:43 am #167 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2013, 11:11 am by Tony Farrell
And for no reason other than that I can - a little treat for the 2nd of November (note, drawings are not to scale)!

column sketch.png
column sketch2.png
column sketch complete final.png

tony farrell

Quote from: rob49152 on Nov 01, 2013, 07:44 pm
Here is what the plans say under the construction:

I assume DES is short for designer. In another area it says 8' x 4' perspex sheet. No. of perspex to be given later.

So I am sorry to say this doesn't help at all :(

Actually Rob, it does!

Looking at the lighting column in relation to the photo blow-up wall immediately behind it and by comparing it to the metal framed screens next to the scanner, we can see the box on which the Perspex-fronted column stands is 12" tall; the top of the column is the diameter of the roundel lower than the top of the photo blow-up panels which mean's the column's total height is 120". So, the tinted Perspex panel has got to be much nearer 108" x 48" (9' x 4') rather than 96" x 48" (8' x 4').

On my 'travels' through the history of Perspex, I've repeatedly come across 8' x 4' as being a standard size. (Other sizes are available but this adds considerably to the cost.) If the tinted panel is 9' tall, there must be a join in it somewhere: Logically - if the panel is made up from an 8' x 4' and a 1' x 4' sheet - this join would either be a foot from the bottom or a foot from the top. The pictures I have aren't sufficiently clear to see if this was the case.

I do therefore wonder if there are additional instructions somewhere which may not be present on the plans Rob has. Oh well...... :(

markofrani

Tony, I think this might be your join.....columnjoin.jpg

Rassilons Rod

WOW! Where does that photo hail from? :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: markofrani on Nov 02, 2013, 08:25 pm
Tony, I think this might be your join.....columnjoin.jpg

Thanks for sharing! We can even see the screw-heads!!
Would it be possible to post a clean version of the same picture? Apart from the two screw-heads just inside the right-hand side of your green box, the remainder are spaced approx 12" apart. In addition to the join in the 'V' shaped side panel, the 'double' screws would indicate a join in the side piece of tinted Perspex.
Any hi-res pictures of the tinted panel more 'face on' in your collection?
Thanks again.
T

markofrani

Here's the best front one I have, you can see the join - just!

column_front.jpg

tony farrell

Thanks very much indeed - this confirms my drawings about the ventilation holes in the top - there also seems to be a large square hole in the top. But since we can't see any of the background through it, it would appear to be covered in someway.

Since we all seem to be in the mood for sharing (with joins added, cheers for the confirmation Jonathan  :)), here's another sneaky peek!
column for tb.png

silverfox

Amazing work! Your attention to detail is astounding.

galacticprobe

Nov 04, 2013, 06:29 am #175 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 03, 2013, 12:19 am
...there also seems to be a large square hole in the top. But since we can't see any of the background through it, it would appear to be covered in someway.

Could this opening be covered with some sort of grille like they use for ventilation? It would certainly allow all of the heat inside to flow upward and out, and the grille would block the background if it was a fine mesh sort of thing - like that dark fabric they use to cover the front of speakers. (Just a guess. Possible?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Are you sure it goes in like that? I know it looks like in the image with Susan, but I don't think it looks that way on the one with Hartnell out of costume...
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 02, 2013, 10:43 am
column sketch complete final.png
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Hi Marc,
Which bit(s) do you disagree with? (Bear in mind, I've drawn the actual dimensions on the plans in the next post.)
T

Rassilons Rod

I think that it mostly looks like a board with the string of lights attached to it. The board doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, there is a gap and the black rectangle is something that is flat on the roof of the column.

There is only one pic (the Carole-Ann pic that in the pic that I quoted) where it looks like that.

Just my opinion - show me some other examples of it being open to the back and I will concede :)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

You've confused me here Marc - can you post a picture to show what you mean about the board not going to the top and (if I've understood you correctly) of the board being half way back into the column)? Ta.