May 19, 2024, 02:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Adipose/Parthenogenesis Detector

Started by The14thDr, May 13, 2016, 06:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

May 27, 2016, 06:00 am #15 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 05:53 pm by The14thDr
This update is a bit late, as I finished my Parthenogenesis Detector a few days ago. On Monday, however, I was able to glue the remainder of the wires into place and assemble any remaining pieces onto the plug.
IMG_0530.JPG

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

davidnagel

Ooh splendid! Can't wait to see this finished.
Regards
David

The14thDr

Thanks davidnagel. The only thing I need to add now is the fuse to the inside of the plug, but for now I'd say it's pretty much finished.

galacticprobe

May 29, 2016, 04:39 am #18 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:40 am by galacticprobe
I have to agree; that's a great job you've done there, 14th. Once you get that fuse installed I hope we get to see some more photos if the "totally" finished replica. (Maybe some nice beauty shots in the Gallery?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Mar 11, 2017, 05:43 pm #19 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 05:52 pm by The14thDr
I've decided that it's about time I made a few upgrades to my Adipose detector.

The first step was to disassemble the detector before deciding which parts would be kept and which parts would be rebuilt.
IMG_0525.JPG

After comparing my build to the available reference material, I decided that the top antenna needed some reworking. To make this antenna longer, I cut another length of plastic tube ready to be glued on top.
IMG_0527.JPG

Finally for today, I added the pins back into the plug, and clipped the fuse into place.
IMG_0528.JPG

More updates tomorrow.

The14thDr

Mar 12, 2017, 07:43 am #20 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2017, 06:19 pm by The14thDr
Early morning update. ;D

Last night I got most of the top antenna finished (it just needs to be glued together and have the top half painted.)
The first step was to cut out two cardboard discs; the first a ring and the second a complete circle.
IMG_0531.JPG

I then glued the circle to the inside of the bottle neck....
IMG_0532.JPG

.... Before gluing the ring into place halfway down the bottle neck. These will hold the bottle neck into place and stop it from wobbling about.
IMG_0533.JPG

Finally, I took the shorter length of plastic tubing and filled it with clay. Once the clay sets I can paint this section and assemble the new antenna.
IMG_0534.JPG

In hindsight, I probably should have made the supporting discs out of plastic so that they would be less visible. I may revisit this at some point...

The14thDr

Mar 12, 2017, 02:44 pm #21 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2017, 06:18 pm by The14thDr
As I mentioned in this morning's update, I replaced the two cardboard discs in the upper bottle top with clear plastic replacements.

I then glued the bottle top to the rest of the antenna.
IMG_0542.JPG

The14thDr

Mar 22, 2017, 07:57 pm #22 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2017, 08:02 pm by The14thDr
A few days ago I finished off the top part of the upper antenna. I took the length of plastic tubing from Part. 2 and glued a small plastic circle to the top, before painting the entire assembly with black acrylic paint.
IMG_0672.JPG

My watch also arrived for the scanner attachment. ;D I'll disassemble this over the weekend and make a start on getting the prop finished.
IMG_0673.JPG

The14thDr

Apr 02, 2017, 10:43 am #23 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2017, 10:48 am by The14thDr
After a bit of a break from this project, today I started working on my Adipose detector again. I decided to make a start on the central scanner attachment, so the first step was to dismantle the watch I bought a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_0752.JPG

I then attached a rubber band to the watch casing where the strap originally was (a very fiddly and frustrating process as the pins kept slipping out as I tried to clip them back in place ::))
IMG_0753.JPG

For the red part of the scanner attachment I cut a circle out of a red crisp packet and fit this into the back part of the watch. The white cross is just a tile spacer.
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG

The14thDr

Apr 02, 2017, 12:58 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2017, 01:14 pm by The14thDr
Shortly after this morning's update, I had a quick look at a reference photo for this prop and noticed that the tile spacer in the central scanner attachment should be black, not white.
To fix this I popped off the back of the watch casing, painted the tile spacer and reassembled the whole thing.
IMG_0759.JPG

Next up on today's list of jobs were the two antennae for the bottom of the scanner. The first step was to disassemble both antennae and decide which parts would be kept.
IMG_0524.JPG

One thing I noticed with my first version of this prop was the way I simplified certain aspects, most notably the antennae, so this time I want to include as much of the detail as possible.
IMG_0538.PNG

I began by wrapping pieces of thin string around the bolts to represent the copper wiring. My dad then found a couple of washers that are the perfect size to fit round the bolts. I then added more of the string "wires" and painted them a nice coppery colour.
IMG_0757.JPG

For the threaded parts near the top of antennae, I cut apart two ballpoint pens for the screw-on parts....
IMG_0537.JPG

..... which I painted gold and attached to some lengths of 10mm plastic tubing using some black duct tape.
IMG_0760.JPG

And here are the assembled antennae, ready to be reinstalled onto the rest of the scanner:
IMG_0761.JPG

Let me know what you think of the upgrades so far. More updates soon.

galacticprobe

Apr 03, 2017, 04:28 am #25 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 04:32 am by galacticprobe
eyepopping(medium).jpg
OH MY GLOB!!!

You're really going hog wild with the details on this one, 14th! What you've done so far is mind-boggling!

Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 02, 2017, 10:43 am
I then attached a rubber band to the watch casing where the strap originally was (a very fiddly and frustrating process as the pins kept slipping out as I tried to clip them back in place ::))

I'm guessing that, during this trial, you probably learned why those pins fall into the category of what we (somewhat blasphemously) call "JC Pins" - or similar such clips as "JC Clips". ;) ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Apr 03, 2017, 04:07 pm #26 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 04:20 pm by The14thDr
Thanks Dino! ;D ;D (And I can see why you would call them "JC Pins" - there was a fair bit of blasphemous cursing going on trying to fit those pins back into the watch ;) ;D)

Update time!!!

There's very little to go on in terms of reference material for the back of this prop, so I sort of just winged it and made a small cardboard "power pack" with the three plug pins sticking out of the back, with glue covering the tips of the pins (the idea behind this is that the Doctor is supposed to have soldered the pins into some sort of high-tech Gallifreyan power supply :P)
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG

And now comes the fun part: assembling the device!! ;D
IMG_0771.JPG

Yesterday I was testing the strength of the glue that was holding the top antenna into place, and managed to snap it clean off, meaning I had to reattach it this morning. ::) Luckily, with the cardboard power pack now on the back of the plug, there is now a much larger surface to glue the antenna onto.
IMG_0772.JPG

Hopefully I should be posting the final update sometime tomorrow. Once the glue dries on the lower antennae I'll be able to wire the whole thing up and add the central scanner attachment.

The14thDr

All wired up and with the central scanner attachment fixed in place. Now let's go catch them pesky Adipose. ;) ;D
IMG_0822.JPG

Karomak

This looks absolutely fantastic!
What are you gonna do? Moisturize me?

-The 9th Doctor, The End Of The World, 2005.

davidnagel

Oh my, doesn't that look nice!
Regards
David