May 19, 2024, 02:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

8th Doctors Sonic

Started by Oblivion, May 08, 2011, 12:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

To be honest I'm not sure it is tinted blue ...

mcgannsonic (1).jpg
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2015, 08:06 pm #76 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 08:10 pm by galacticprobe
True; that blue tint could be nothing more than some refraction from the blue surface below the crystal.

Oblivion, if the casting refuses to cooperate, have you thought about looking for one of those pendants someone mentioned? (I can't remember if it was earlier in this diary or in another - maybe a reference.) And if you can't find one with a crystal large enough, what about checking some of those second-hand or antique stores that sell those dangly prisms you usually find on some lamps? Those crystals come in various sizes depending on whether they hang from the lamp or the shade. I know I've seen some in such stores around where I live. If you post the dimensions of the crystal I can keep an eye out for one that comes as close as possible the next time the wife and I go out for some browsing. They're usually very inexpensive here, and if needed I could grab one up and send it to you. Granted it would be glass rather than resin, but if the castings are so fragile that the base breaks off as easily as yours did, then working with a glass crystal might not be all that terrible, especially of that's all it takes to complete this piece of art you've already worked so hard on.

Another possibility could be craft stores. They might have plastic crystals/prisms of the right size and shape in their necklace or some such section. One of those could be adapted for use with this.

As for the BBC not owning the design for this sonic... frack! Maybe if this is design belongs to Big Finish, if someone writes to them letting them know just how popular this sonic is with the fans - if they don't already know - they could work out something with the BBC (owner of 'Doctor Who') and CO (the ones that make the sonic toys) so CO could have this sonic as part of their 'Doctor Who' toy line. (Possible?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Oblivion

Jul 28, 2015, 09:33 pm #77 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 09:38 pm by Oblivion
That's kind Dino thank you. I'll see what happens with the third casting when I remove it in the morning. Maybe third time lucky, but somehow I think not ;) I'm leaving the mold on a warm water tank in the cupboard over night in the hope the heat might cure the resin by morning. The end of the first cast didn't actually snap off, it was just very flexible and soft, I was able to literally pull it off like a piece of bubble gum. A friend today said that possibly the resin is reacting with the rubber mold, I can't see that, but it's one possibility I suppose.

I tried to cut one from a block of thick acrylic today, but that's almost impossible. It's a strange crystal in that sonic, its not perfectly clear, it's kinda flawed and an unusual shape, not so angular as the crystals you see in chandelier style lights etc.

I don't think Big Finish owns the rights to that sonic either. I could be wrong, maybe someone knows the facts about it. As far as I know it was made by, is it  'Weta' ?? specifically for Paul McGann.
Hampshire UK

kiwidoc

Quote from: Oblivion on Jul 28, 2015, 09:33 pm
That's kind Dino thank you. I'll see what happens with the third casting when I remove it in the morning. Maybe third time lucky, but somehow I think not ;) I'm leaving the mold on a warm water tank in the cupboard over night in the hope the heat might cure the resin by morning. The end of the first cast didn't actually snap off, it was just very flexible and soft, I was able to literally pull it off like a piece of bubble gum. A friend today said that possibly the resin is reacting with the rubber mold, I can't see that, but it's one possibility I suppose.

I tried to cut one from a block of thick acrylic today, but that's almost impossible. It's a strange crystal in that sonic, its not perfectly clear, it's kinda flawed and an unusual shape, not so angular as the crystals you see in chandelier style lights etc.

I don't think Big Finish owns the rights to that sonic either. I could be wrong, maybe someone knows the facts about it. As far as I know it was made by, is it  'Weta' ?? specifically for Paul McGann.

That's right, made by Peter Jackson's (co-owned) physical effects company Weta in New Zealand and presented to Paul when he came for a 'Con in about 2010, at which he first showed off the blue leather/vinyl jacket and satchel look that he announced as his Doctor's new official look, and as a bonus he had his own Sonic now as well.

No idea if Big Finish or anyone was involved in a commission as such or whether i was down to Paul or simply a gift from thew Who-fans at Weta (of which there are many, right up to Peter Jackson himself who owns a number of props and costumes and meets almost everyone related to the show who visits NZ)

galacticprobe

Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 pm #79 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 pm by galacticprobe
I'm with you on the mould and resin, Oblivion. 99.44% of the moulds anywhere are made from some sort of silicone rubber; it's pliable, doesn't need much mould release, if any because the silicone is inherently non-stick, and most of what's cast in them is resin, clear and opaque. So that whole thing about the resin reacting with the mould doesn't ring true with me. At any road, here's some good wishes for that third casting to be the charm!

Quote from: Oblivion on Jul 28, 2015, 09:33 pm

Interesting. It could be possible that someone did cut that crystal from a block of acrylic, and just too his time sanding it to shape, and then worked to the finest grit paper/emery cloth to wet/dry sand and polish the crystal the best he could, which could explain it not being completely clear, as well as that unusual shape. (Some of those flaws could also be "scratch marks" from the initial cutting/sanding that weren't buffed out: a possibility, at least.)

Quote from: kiwidoc on Jul 28, 2015, 10:18 pm
That's right, made by Peter Jackson's (co-owned) physical effects company Weta in New Zealand and presented to Paul when he came for a 'Con in about 2010, at which he first showed off the blue leather/vinyl jacket and satchel look that he announced as his Doctor's new official look, and as a bonus he had his own Sonic now as well.

No idea if Big Finish or anyone was involved in a commission as such or whether i was down to Paul or simply a gift from thew Who-fans at Weta (of which there are many, right up to Peter Jackson himself who owns a number of props and costumes and meets almost everyone related to the show who visits NZ)

Now this one does pique my curiosity! Maybe if someone gets a chance to meet Paul McGann they could ask him more about that. It could explain whether or not that sonic was hurried along so it was ready for his appearance, which in turn could explain the quality of the crystal used on the sonic they gave McGann. Also, if McGann just might be able to talk to Peter Jackson, or whoever else is necessary, to get this sonic into a "Props from the Shops" and made available for fans to buy, especially since it seems to be growing in popularity.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

meantimebob

for such a small piece, why don't you try clear epoxy?

Oblivion

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 am #81 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 05:40 pm by Oblivion
;D Finally, third time lucky, although I had to destroy the mold to get it out !

1.jpg

Can't say it was a joy to build, but it did turn out to be a pretty accurate replica of the original sonic.  

imageedit_1_5736716981.gif

More photos in the gallery.
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2015, 05:16 pm #82 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 05:17 pm by galacticprobe
I'm glad that "third time's the charm" worked for casting that crystal. It's a fracking shame you had to destroy the mould getting the crystal out, though. :P

Dino.

Skaldak

This is exceptional work Oblivion.
You should be really proud of your self.

Oblivion

Quote from: skaldak on Jul 29, 2015, 05:45 pm
This is exceptional work Oblivion.
You should be really proud of your self.

Bless ya, cheers mate ;)
Hampshire UK

BioDoctor900

Looking brilliant Oblivion ;) shame your mould got destroyed, could have done with one for when I get round to sorting mine, also would appreciate some measurements ;)

BioDoctor900

fivefingeredstyre

I see it was a pig top build, but to be honest you should be proud of how it turned out. That really is impressive.

davidnagel

Quote from: Oblivion on Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 am
;D Finally, third time lucky, although I had to destroy the mold to get it out !

1.jpg

Lovely!
Regards
David

Oblivion

You're all very kind, thanks  :)

Paul-wsonic-screwdriver.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

Hampshire UK