New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 18 onward TARDIS Plans?

Started by doctorhr2, Jun 15, 2007, 03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Sep 24, 2009, 04:36 pm #15 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 06:59 am by kiwidoc
The plans have been updated once again!
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/drwho/s18imp.pdf

It turns out this prop was built a la imperial dims afterall. I mixed up the story of the Newbery prop (designed metric/built whatever was handy). For this reason I've killed the metric version of the plans.

After having Purp give these another glance and answering a few questions, I think the best we can hope for is another looks right scenario. As we know, the fiberglass props shrunk and weren't very dimensionally consistent all around. For this reason I have created something along the lines of what was intended before shrinkage and what Purp aptly refers to as "builder's drift." To actually duplicate what was on screen according to actual measurements off the prop is quite impractical, but what I've drawn will hopefully provide an improved starting point to adjust to whatever version of the YJ boxes you want.

I'm beginning to standardize the layout of the plans. There will be more updates with more labeled dims coming soon.

lespaceplie

Sep 24, 2009, 04:41 pm #16 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 09:26 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer on Sep 09, 2009, 08:25 am
If they're the same ones I saw, I think the door was listed at 76" - 6'4", and the panel height at 14½" - as I built my box based on those plans.

I just realized that I'm the source of those dims from an older version of the plans I did long before these boards were around. Pretty much everything is a bit smaller than the real thing, but proportions are okay. You've built something like a 95 percent size replica (and a good one at that).

Scarfwearer

Sep 24, 2009, 07:47 pm #17 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 09:26 pm by scarfwearer
It's a small world - I wondered who produced those. :) Thanks for drawing them!  I think I stuck pretty closely to the measurements.

Gosh, that means I started planning my build just about ten years ago, though I won't celebrate its 10th anniversary until next July, as I didn't consider it finished until I painted it in July 2000...

Crispin

EDIT: Ironically, my TARDIS interior is about 5% too big...

zbigniev hamson

Sep 25, 2009, 10:43 pm #18 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010, 09:27 pm by scarfwearer
Does anyone have any info as to when the central divider continuation above the signbox was present on this build? From the photo's I have it definitely seems to be on both the Mk I and the Mk II, but the few shots I have from the Leisure Hive seem to show it wasn't there then. It seems to be an odd little feature to introduce later, but it seems as though that is the case.