May 14, 2024, 08:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lym's Extended Troughton Interior

Started by lym, Aug 06, 2021, 03:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lym

It occurred to me that the Second Doctor never really had a 'canonical' TARDIS layout. Even though it mostly made use of Hartnell-era modular parts, it seems kind of wrong to think of the First Doctor's 'canonical' full layout from Edge of Destruction and associate it with Troughton since so many of the set pieces had been scrapped or cannibalised by his tenure, and he got a considerable amount of new set pieces for his. This isn't a knock on the modular nature of the set at all - I love seeing all the layout changes in each story - but I thought what the hell, and decided to spend the past few weeks combining those unique set pieces from different stories into one bigger layout.  ;D

These parts consist of:
 - Back wall flats, computer panels and scanner from The Abominable Snowmen
 - Overhang/corridor/power room from The Mind Robber (minus the scanner since that's already accounted for)
 - Fault locator from The War Games (albeit on the right wall instead of the back wall, but with it being modular you could swap this and the back flats around)

I added the beige hexagon to it to fill up empty space but put it on the opposite side of the console to the First Doctor's era - with the extra rooms/corridors leading out from the right instead of the left as with Hartnell, I kind of like the thought of it functioning as a sort of mirror image to his layout.

1sm.jpg

2sm.jpg

3sm.jpg

4sm.jpg

This is all still something of a work in progress. There's still a lot of additional props I could add, like the chests from The Power of the Daleks, and the intricate power room... things (god help me if I ever have to model those), and I neglected to reduce the 3D walls' height to be accurate, but I really wanted to show this off.

Special thanks to Tony Farrell for the incredible Brachacki plans, Thomas Doran for the PBU textures, and Clayton Hickman for an image of the power room which really helped the layout click.

Oh, and as a bonus, telesnap-style versions:

1ts.jpg

2ts.jpg

3ts.jpg

4ts.jpg

kert gantry

Wow! This is great.

Cheers for the credit re the PBU walls. AFAIK, apart from Tony himself, you're the first person to acknowledge me when using them! Minor gripe as I was merely aping someone else's design... but that aping took a lot of man-hours.

Anyways, your render is beautiful in true Troughton mix-&-match TARDIS style. Although it's sad that so much of the original set had been junked by the time Pat took over, it's fun seeing the wildly different iterations of the control room in each of his stories. Kind of suited the more chaotic character of the second Doctor.

Thanks for sharing this in WIP form. Look forward to seeing more.

Volpone

The telesnap pictures look like a real physical prop on an actual vintage image. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.